How come ford doesn't put a 2.7T instead of 2.3? - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Grimbrand

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019 Thread Starter
Apprentice

How come ford doesn't put a 2.7T instead of 2.3?

I get it that they were trying to go back to the original rout which was a 2.3l svo but they killed the v6 and instead of a 2.7l turbo they still have the 2.3l turbo which is going to get a high performance package with the focus engine. The 2.7 would have been a great replacement since they killed the v6 because you might as well have a great option if you can. Not even asking for the 3.5l tt but the 2.7t would have been better in my opinion.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019
GLOBAL MODERATOR
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Makes ya want to buy a V8 doesn't it?

Seriouisly, I think the 2.7 eco has some issues going on right now and the 2.3 eco is more widely used in more applications and has a decent reliability record considering.

----------------------------
2019 Charger Scat Pack White
2012 Mustang GT, Roush 2300 Black
2006 Mustang V6 Manual Legend Lime Sold
2016 Jeep Willys Silver Vin 060 RIP
2016 Jeep Willys Silver Vin 059 Sold
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019
GT Member
Classic Member
5.0L Member

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Grimbrand
"customer demand" notwithstanding, it's cheaper for Ford to make a 'one size fits all' cheap 4 banger, and give it to everyone worldwide. Sticking to just one size and using power-adders is another cost saver.

4 cylinder engines have the benefit of fewer parts, but there's a hidden benefit to the manufacturer: the elastomeric dampers and clever bits to keep vibration down on a 4-cylinder will wear out. When that happens, the once seemingly 'smooth' 4 cylinder engine will now rattle the owner's fillings loose while they drive. The more power the engine's making, the more vibration it'll have, turboed or not.

That works out nicely for planned obsolescence, eh?

The general public doesn't care anymore or even understand the difference between these engines; they just want cheap, and they want economical. If Ford (and other companies) have translated that into "Well clearly they just want 4 cylinders!" and are reaping the benefit of ignorance, then until V8 engines are "cool" again, we'll be back to the early 1900s with basic engine layout.

It's all right with me though - I hate disposable cars. I'll stick with my '67.
Beechkid likes this.

I smile a lot. It makes people wonder what I'm up to...

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019
PONY Member

I have been driving high HP turbo charged 4cyl cars continuously as my daily drivers for 35 years. Most all went well into the mid 100,000s of miles and a couple mid 200,000s of miles. Never had the vibration level of the engine increase with time, they all stayed as smooth as when they were new. The smoothness of a 4cyl engine comes from the counter rotating balance shafts in the pan.

Dave
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019
GT Member
Classic Member
5.0L Member

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Grimbrand
I hate 'em.

I smile a lot. It makes people wonder what I'm up to...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page