rented 2.3L Mustang - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
BOSS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorstang23 View Post
Not sure what you expected. It is a 4 cyl. But on that note, with 310 hp from the factory, it would have smoked most stock v8's (baring Cobras and special models) for every year from inception till 2010

only on paper...just like the Honda CRV....IIRR, it's rated at 2oo+ hp @ 6K....guess what, the software won't let the engine run above 4k befor it shifts into the next gear (my relatives POS)...........

Granted, over the past 50 years hp methods have changed, but, the mfg's still play a numbers game. Our 65 stang (which has been in the family since new) was rated at 306 hp/4 speed................. just a couple of years ago on a Sunday morning "cruise"....we were on a 4 lane blvd....as we pulled up to the stop light it was like a movie......two new white mustang GT's pulled up on each side of me....one driven by a gent ...definitely a stick and the other by a girl...and an automatic....as my wife is saying to me very stern....don't...don't do it......everyone smiled and when the light turned green, everyone accelled up to about 50 mph..... no wild burnouts, etc., just nailed the gas.....I have to say, we were all a little surprised and we all laughed at the next light......

The gent and girl both thought they were going to blow my doors off.....
The gent just knew he would outrun off the line the GT auto.....

the real world......it was dead even......
When they talk as an example about the "hellcat" being a 10 second or faster car right from the factory........ nothing new, in 1971 (IIRR) the challenger had from the factory a choice of 2 track packs......and yes, they were 10 second cars as well.....and verified

:hello:
Member: Never trust a person over 40 who drives a Chevy club
Flatheads ain't so bad!
Certified backyard mechanic I & II
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Rookie

Love the EB!

I just bought an '18 EB with A/T and the 101A package, under $27K out the door. In Lightning Blue, it's the exact model and setup I wanted. I love the car, didn't want a V8 (don't care about exhaust sound) and find the power to be more than adequate. I don't street race and I'm not going to take the car to the track. I'm retired (over 60) so I'm not worrying about gas and insurance. So yes, some want the GT (or better) or nothing and that's ok, but there are plenty who appreciate the EB powerplant for what it is - I think it's a masterfully crafted powerplant and believe intelligently designed, modern turbocharging is a great way to get gobs of power from smaller powerplants.

I was born in the mid 50s so I've heard my share of muscle cars - I pretty much feel the same about those as I do the big Harleys: Lot of noise, ok to listen to once in a while, but I wouldn't want to live with it.

Apprentice

doubt that any small back V-8 from the 60's bar any modded or Boss 302/351 set-ups would beat the 5.0 mustangs of today. either people don't know how to drive or people are telling stories.

my 1969 mustang 302 V-8, with slight mods wouldn't be much faster than my '15 ecoboost mustang if it all. I don't remember how fast my '69 was, it was quick, but I don't think it would do much better than my ecoboost.
SpeedRacerXT likes this.

Apprentice

also, I did research, there was no stock 10 second 1971 Challenger, fastest 1/4 times I seen were low 13's maybe high 12's even with the hemi set up. The 1960's small block v-8 mustangs even being lighter than the S197 and S550 stangs would not keep up with today's 5.0 mustang, keep dreaming
GT Member
Classic Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Garage
I took a test drive today '18 EB auto It's a lot peppier than my 4.0. If I were in the market for a new car I'd buy it
SpeedRacerXT likes this.

"ONX PNY"

2009 MUSTANG (45TH Aniversary) premium w/pony package.
AUTO, Leather, IUP, Kenwood DDX393/Speakers
A.M Bullitt wheels W/custom center caps
RAXIOM RETRO'S Black turn signals/Tinted rear bumper lights cobra Roadster hood that's functional and many other mods

Yes I know my user name doesn't match my car color

1966 coupe 289 2V C code factory BENCH/P/S
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver_stang200 View Post
I took a test drive today '18 EB auto It's a lot peppier than my 4.0. If I were in the market for a new car I'd buy it
my 2009 Smart Fortwo is peppier than your 4.0, just kidding. Yeah there's no doubt that the 2.3 ecoboost has got some muscle. I wish people would stop being so nostalgic and realize that unless they built their 289/302 to the max, they couldn't beat the ecoboost mustang let alone a 2011-2014 S197 or S550 mustang GT
GT Member
Classic Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Garage
Hell if I had deep pockets I'd put the EB/auto trans in ONX

"ONX PNY"

2009 MUSTANG (45TH Aniversary) premium w/pony package.
AUTO, Leather, IUP, Kenwood DDX393/Speakers
A.M Bullitt wheels W/custom center caps
RAXIOM RETRO'S Black turn signals/Tinted rear bumper lights cobra Roadster hood that's functional and many other mods

Yes I know my user name doesn't match my car color

1966 coupe 289 2V C code factory BENCH/P/S
Apprentice
2.3L Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

My last Mustang was an '07 GT, with the 4.6 aluminum V8, rated at 300 hp. After a break from Mustang ownership, just bought an '18 Ecoboost coupe. The HP/torque numbers (particularly the torque) are a bit better than the old GT, and the balance feels better (although a lot of that may be IRS vs. live rear axle), but it feels more...liveable? There's plenty of go when it's wanted, but in stop-and-go traffic it's easier - almost docile until you wake it up. As far as small turbo 4s go, it's a big step up from the Fusion 2.0T I had until a year or so ago - no kick-in-the-back easing into the throttle, it just acts like a bigger engine generally. And while it doesn't have the V8 sound, it actually has a rather nice thrum for a 4-banger. I'm not taking it to the track, so, it's a nice compromise for daily driver, long-haul grand tourer, and weekend twisty-back-road screamer. Granted the convertible may be a touch more sluggish due to the weight penalty, and the engine sound may be a bit more obvious with the top down.
Rookie

The EB actually sounds really good with the MagnaFlow Street catback exhaust. I love how it sounds now.
lonelocust likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page