Ford Mustang Forum banner

Oil Pressure very high at start up.

13K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  dgc333 
#1 ·
Hi guys. I have recently discovered a new issue with my 2017 Mustang Ecoboost w/performance package and manual shift. Upon start up, specifically if car has been sitting for some time (hours), the oil pressure appears to be very high. According to Ford, in neutral at 2000 rpm, the oil pressure should be between 40-60 psi. However, in my case, in neutral at 2000 rpm my car is now between 90-100 psi (was between 80-95 psi when issue first started) until the engine warms up to normal, then the oil pressure is within the 40-60 psi. I do note that the oil pressure gauge maxes out at 100 psi.

I had the dealer look at it and even had the oil changed (again) along with filter. Dealer says car is not leaking, no dummy lights on, no warning lights on, and all other gauges are normal, thus the dealer says it is operating within normal specs. I am still concerned as this just started happening in the last 4 weeks or so. Has anyone else experienced this issue? Is this situation really normal? Based on my reading up on high oil pressure, I am concerned the engine will blow before it warms up. Am I concerned over nothing or do I really have a serious issue here?

#3 ·
It depends on what the ambient temperature is and the viscosity at that temperature. A 'cold' engine in AZ in July could easily be 100° after sitting all night and before it has been run, higher in the daytime.
Without more information, it's hard to say if it's ok or not. I also don't know why it would suddenly just start being higher with no other variables being changed.

#6 ·
Sudden higher oil pressure readings are usually the result of a faulty sending unit or gauge. The engine will not "blow" but the filter can balloon if it is actually too high, the oil pump is a positive displacement pump so that's why it has a relief valve built into it ,to prevent over pressure. I would suggest tee in a master gauge to cross check.

#8 ·
I thank you guys for letting me know that this is "normal". Like I said, Ford said there is nothing to worry about. I just note that I have had this car for 7 months, and in the first six months, the oil pressure was not at 80-100 PSI on start up, bu had been for last month or so. I was concerned as the gauge itself tops out at 100 PSI and now my oil pressure is between 95-100 PSI on start up. I grant once the engine hits normal operating temperature, the oil pressure drops to 50-60 PSI (when in neutral at 2000 rpm's).

When I did an online search to try to determine the problem, I noted things like wrong oil, clogged oil filter or oil passage way, faulty gauge or sender, and to look for oil leaks, and other gauges/warning lights with car. Still it appears no oil leaks, no warning lights, all gauges appear normal, and car has not reverted to "limp mode" as dealer says would happen if there was an issue. With all that said, it still seems abnormal to me.

#9 ·
did you change the oil filter just before this started, by any chance?

I'm thinking that a different filter could have slightly higher resistance and could be the reason the pressure went up, versus what you were seeing before.

And with that in mind -- I don't know about your car; but for mine, there are two different oil filters that can be used -- the "big one" and the "small one." I'm thinking the big one has more filter media and probably lower resistance as a result; so I always use the big ones.

#10 ·
The issue actually started a couple days after Ford Dealer #1 (local dealer that I am not totally trusting of) changed oil and filter as routine service. I called them to notify of the new reading on the gauge, and was told it is normal. I then took it to Ford Dealer #2 (one I trust as I have done significant business with) and reported the problem as well as had the oil and filter changed again. Was told by this dealer after they inspected the car, changed the oil and observed the high oil pressure as being normal with no signs of problem (all gauges normal, no warning indicators, and not in limp mode).

#11 ·
just a SWAG and probably all wrong -- but if you had the "big" filter before and now they gave you the "small" one, that might explain it

#12 ·
Oil filters are designed to bypass the filter media gets clogged or on cold startup the oil is to thick. The typical rating for the pressure drop across the filter to cause the filter to bypass is in the 12 to 15 psi range.

I don't see a big verse small causing this. What the bigger filter with more media gives you is less time spent in a bypass situation.

Dave

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.