Ford Mustang Forum banner

I hate this car - 2017 Mustang V-6

5K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  mustangholt33 
#1 ·
I had an '09 GT that was a wonderful car, but it started giving me problems, so I began thinking about a new car. Couldn't afford a new GT, so test drove a '16 V-6, but dealership couldn't find a manual transmission. Automatic car seemed nice. I really wanted to wait until 2018 to save more for a down payment, but then Ford pulled the rug from under me and announced the discontinuation of the V-6. The hunt was on for a '17 V-6 six speed manual, found one 150 miles away, local dealership wouldn't deal, so drove there to make the swap. Big mistake, didn't test drive the car first. Drive by wire system is agonizing, I was squawking the tires in second and third gears, throttle closes so slowly. If you drive the car like granny, and keep the revs around 2,000rpm, it's not a problem, but who buys a Mustang that doesn't want to rev it? I called the Ford Performance Hot Line, guy pretty much laughed at me when I mentioned V-6, couldn't help with a recommendation for a tuner to eliminate the throttle lag (hung revs?). Said Roush might help, e-mailed them last week, still no answer. It's impossible to drive this car smoothly, even on the Interstates with the cruise control engaged, you can feel the throttle opening and jerkily closing. Any tuners out there that won't void my warranty?

#4 ·
yeah, that does not sound right, could be a simple fix; like the throttle body needs to be recallibrated

yes the drive-by-wire system does produce some throttle hang, and it cannot be fully tuned out, but should not be nearly as bad as you are describing

Reactions: Beechkid
#6 ·
I won't kick you while you're down because you didn't get what you wanted. I don't know what the hp or power curve is like for the V6 but I wouldn't think of it as a hot power supply. It sounds like you're looking for something in a V8 for the way you want to run it.

#7 ·
Just curious what's you rear gear ratio? I used to gave an 2011 V6 that had the 2.75 in it and it was a slouch. My current car is a 2015 V6 manual with 3.55 and I don't have any of the issues you're describing. Also I can tell you there's no tune for the V6 that won't void your warranty, maybe Ford has something for the higher end Mustangs but not the V6.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.