Ford Mustang Forum banner

2017 Engine Rattling @ +3500 rpms

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  sirben 
#1 ·
Hey everyone,

In between Christmas and New Years my car started to make a sound. I don't exactly know how to describe it, but I will give it a try. A "plasticy metallic spinning rattling noise" I bought this car early 2018 and has 12k miles. Oil has been changed ever 5000 miles. Its not LOUD but it is noticeable. I personally drive with the radio off, but when it is on, you cannot hear it.

It sounds like it is coming from the passenger side of the engine bay. It doesn't always happen, maybe 60% of the time under 50% throttle or more when it gets above 3500 rpms and continues until I get off the throttle or reduce pressure on the throttle. Basically it happens when I try to get on the highway or overtake someone.

Notes:
Does not do it in neutral.
Switched to premium fuel - made no difference.
No engine codes.
Power and fuel economy are the same.
Runs completely normal idling and "regular" driving.
Oil level is perfect.
No mods (yet)

Any ideas what it might be? I fear valve slap or damage to the cams. I will probably be getting it looked at next week.

See less See more
#2 ·
could be anything from timing chain tensioner related to loose valvetrain components.... but IMHO I would not drive the car any more than necessary as this could be leading to extensive repairs

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.