Whipple Supercharger or Hellion Twin Turbo - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By UUUd444
  • 2 Post By JD08

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-11-2017 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Whipple Supercharger or Hellion Twin Turbo

It's only been about a month since I've had my 5.0 and the hunger for more power has kicked in... never thought I'd want more especially coming from a 4 banger sub 200hp car... but I guess once you taste more, you want even more.

So I'm debating between:

https://www.americanmuscle.com/whipple-sc-2015gt.html and https://www.americanmuscle.com/helli...it-2015gt.html

My end goal is 700 +- 50 hp, would prefer not to perform any engine internal upgrades. Obviously with either setup and so much power I will have to upgrade my tires and will lower the car to improve handling. Any owners with either system that can throw in their .02? Thanks.

2017 Ford Mustang GT Premium California Special
Performance - Roush Axle Back | X-Pipe | GT350 Throttle Body w/ Spacer | GT350 CAI | BBK Oil Separator | Tune |
Suspension - CJ Lowering Springs [F:-1.5"/R:-1.0") | 20mm Spacers | MGP Red Caliper Covers |
Aesthetic - CF Roof Spoiler | GT350 side flare & rocker winglets | Diode Dynamics LED's throughout |
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-11-2017
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0_cali View Post
It's only been about a month since I've had my 5.0 and the hunger for more power has kicked in... never thought I'd want more especially coming from a 4 banger sub 200hp car... but I guess once you taste more, you want even more.
Yup, another addict is born.

Nice car. Hope you and it rode out the storm okay where you are.

It sure is fun making your car just a bit different, isn't it? And yeah, more power is always welcome. Just a thought on the process, if you don't mind a suggestion that may run a bit counter to what you have in mind. As with most forum members, I'll tell you what I did because obviously that has to be the best way, right?

I traded my '11 V6 Premium in 2014 for my current car (see signature). V6 to GT was a welcome and whole new world. Loved the power but extra weight made handling less than ideal. Wheel hop was unbearable. Went like this for about 6 months and drove the car and got to know it pretty well. Kind of finding out what I needed most in the process.

Did up the suspension a bit to fix handling issues and WOW, it was like getting a brand new car again. Loved it even more and for only a couple of thou had that new car feeling all over again.

A year later put the blower on, like you're planning, and again WOOHOO.....new car love yet again. Install is quite easy on these cars so that was a bit of fun as well. The blower really changed how the car handled under acceleration. In hindsight, I think driving the vehicle for the year and a half gave me the basis to cope. With street tires the blower will overcome traction easily in the first three gears with just a throttle punch. Awesome but easy to become a youtube dope for sure. (And that's with probably only about an estimated 520 rwhp, not even near what you are considering.)

So, could I suggest a staged process where you get to have a new vehicle for cheap a whole bunch of times while learning the car's foibles and becoming one with the beast? It's kind of a win/win in my opinion.

As to which forced induction there's probably no real correct answer. If you really don't want breakage with the stock engine you may want to consider the more conservative method of trusting Ford Racing and their Roush blower program. Although many will tell you it's too conservative a tune you will have the benefit of Ford's engineers and development people having input to best keep the motor safe and drive well in all conditions (like stock, in my case, until I hit it). Any forced induction will give a big change and thrill factor. It's true that an aftermarket tune and blower/turbo can take you closer to the edge and get additional power but it is not true that they have access to all of Ford's expertise, thousands of hours of testing under more than just full on conditions, etc. If you would be disturbed by breakage then it's something to consider. 700 hp is quite a bit for a daily driver, if that's what you have in mind. Is enough enough? Or is too much always just the right amount. The impossible question.....

Wishing you good luck with the storm and great times ahead with the new toy and

All the best.

mshuford1962 likes this.

2014 Gray Mustang

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-11-2017 Thread Starter
Apprentice

^cheers man.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-12-2017
BOSS Member

As someone who had stupid fast V8's in the pre-traction control days, and also went from a V6 to a GT recently, let me offer this advice. Get a few thousand miles on your car. Take it to the drag strip and get consistent. Then try your hand at autocross or an HPDE event. You'll have a better idea of how your car handles and how much power you really want and you'll be a little further into your warranty before you negate it with the Whipple.
HuntingKy and 5.0_cali like this.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-21-2017
Apprentice

I would do a supercharger
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-24-2017
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0_cali View Post

So I'm debating between:

https://www.americanmuscle.com/whipple-sc-2015gt.html and https://www.americanmuscle.com/helli...it-2015gt.html

My end goal is 700 +- 50 hp, would prefer not to perform any engine internal upgrades. Obviously with either setup and so much power I will have to upgrade my tires and will lower the car to improve handling. Any owners with either system that can throw in their .02? Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD08 View Post
As someone who had stupid fast V8's in the pre-traction control days, and also went from a V6 to a GT recently, let me offer this advice. Get a few thousand miles on your car. Take it to the drag strip and get consistent. Then try your hand at autocross or an HPDE event. You'll have a better idea of how your car handles and how much power you really want and you'll be a little further into your warranty before you negate it with the Whipple.

Supercharge for sure for events where you want constant power with no lag, but I would read the above quote a few times until it sinks in before you spend a sh*t load of cash and will slowly develop quirky problems on a regular basis.

Check out some of my step by step install videos if you like to watch them, and leave me suggestions as I like to install what people would like to see with full reviews! www.youtube.com/c/christopherayresfrs2
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-25-2017 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayreschr View Post
Supercharge for sure for events where you want constant power with no lag, but I would read the above quote a few times until it sinks in before you spend a sh*t load of cash and will slowly develop quirky problems on a regular basis.

Check out some of my step by step install videos if you like to watch them, and leave me suggestions as I like to install what people would like to see with full reviews! www.youtube.com/c/christopherayresfrs2
Yeah I've realized I was getting too ahead of myself so decided to take baby steps first... Minor bolt ons then we'll see where the desire and want/need is in a year or two.

2017 Ford Mustang GT Premium California Special
Performance - Roush Axle Back | X-Pipe | GT350 Throttle Body w/ Spacer | GT350 CAI | BBK Oil Separator | Tune |
Suspension - CJ Lowering Springs [F:-1.5"/R:-1.0") | 20mm Spacers | MGP Red Caliper Covers |
Aesthetic - CF Roof Spoiler | GT350 side flare & rocker winglets | Diode Dynamics LED's throughout |
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-01-2017
PONY Member

I would go supercharger over turbo for a street car. I have yet to meet anyone with a turbo 5.0 that said they had the tune dialed in, not the best for a daily driver. But for all out power, Turbo is king.

2011 Black 5.0 GT/CS manual, Tech pkg, HID, Comfort pkg
1/4"wheel spacers, GT500 exhaust, AEM intake, BAMA tune, Amsoil

1995 5.0 cobra clone. BBK full exhaust, BBK intake, 70mm throttle body. (sold)
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-01-2017
BOSS Member

for street use.supercharger.......whipple also provides good support

:hello:
Member: Never trust a person over 40 who drives a Chevy club
Flatheads ain't so bad!
Certified backyard mechanic I & II
Rookie

As it was pointed out earlier (from one who has owned 2 GT500's and now a 17 GT) with either setup the first 3 gears will only get you into trouble. Your first need before the change will be a good set of drag radials and then learn how to drive it well before going blower or turbo. As for myself after owning several blower motor vehicles I would rather be blown
But again, either way be reasonable on the amount of boost you add - too much will give you those inspection holes in the side of the block.
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Whipple FTW.

Not a fan of turbos, especially twins. Had a twin turbo 2005 GT and MAN, what a headache. Constant tuning, always little issues here or there, etc. Not worth it.

2019 Mustang GT California Special: Oxford White
Appearance Mods: Llumar ceramic tint
PONY Member

A turbo setup will make more power and have room to grow also you can easily change Boost anytime you want but turbo setups are a lot more involved and more $ so if money isn’t a factor then turbo
PONY Member

Both can easily reach your goals
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page