Buying high mileage mustang gt - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By stormsedge

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-25-2017 Thread Starter
Rookie

Buying high mileage mustang gt

looking at buying an automatic 2016 mustang GT with 60k miles. Was wondering if anyone brought up theirGTs this high and what's the things I should look out for. The car is CPO.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-25-2017
PONY Member
4.6L Member

That is a lot of miles on a short timeline...here are my thoughts/the things I would consider:
-do maintenance records support the mileage without a missed service?
-do you intend this car to be a keeper...in other words, will the high mileage impact your trade in value later?
-does the price of the car reflect the high mileage?
-is there an extended warranty and how good is it?
-will this car be a primary vehicle (so the mileage will always be "high")? Are you okay with that?
-is this a car you intend to modify or upgrade shortly after purchase? Noting that many of the things we change (tires, brakes, struts/shocks, etc) are consumables anyway, and your mods/upgrades negate the wear in those areas.
-if this car proves dead bang reliable, looks good and drives well...and you are the only one likely to know the mileage, will the mileage bother you and become a conversation topic?

Finally, there are many Mustangs for sale...what makes this particular Mustang "the one" ?

kenv likes this.

Underestimate me, that will be fun.
GREEN WORM RACING--since 1959

These are my opinions...YOU are responsible for YOUR decisions and YOUR outcomes...AND, my not arguing with you does not indicate agreement with your opinion.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-26-2017
Rookie

Garage
60K miles is a CPO??

I have a problem with that

USAF

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-26-2017
PONY Member

What is your issue with it being CPO?

All CPO means is it has gone through an extensive inspection, comes with some warranty, has a carfax and you get road side assistance for some period of time.

Mileage has nothing to do with it being CPO.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-26-2017
BOSS Member

Agree with above and "CPO" means almost nothing....60k is just about when these engines get fully broken in....... IMHO get a good mechanic shop to fully inspect the car and go from there

:hello:
Member: Never trust a person over 40 who drives a Chevy club
Flatheads ain't so bad!
Certified backyard mechanic I & II
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-28-2017
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

If it is real Ford CPO (not some dealer trickery) then I believe it has 10 year? / 100,000 mile bumper-to-bumper warranty which is definitely something

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-29-2017
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoangvsvp View Post
looking at buying an automatic 2016 mustang GT with 60k miles. Was wondering if anyone brought up theirGTs this high and what's the things I should look out for. The car is CPO.
I'm at 54,000 (almost 56,000). I have not had any major issues with anything in the vehicle to date. Mine is a 2015 GT Premium basically has every option except the PP. Mine is also an automatic. I bought it because the car was 3 months old with 2300 miles on it and I got about a $12,000 discount on it.

I did have to have something replaced on the front suspension. They just replaced all of it on the driver side. It was making a clanking sound of some sort when I'd go over bumps. There was an issue with the throttle body making a ticking sound. Those are the only problems I've had so far in the vehicle. Warranty took care of both of those for me so it was not an issue.

I changed the oil every 5,000 miles for the first 20,000 miles and now I run full synthetic in it. I'm still in love with the car, for most people that's not saying much. But I am OCD and I tend to not like things for a long period of time, if it has flaws I'll find them. That's not to say the car is flawless, but I feel Ford did an excellent job with these. My previous car was a 350z that I purchased brand new, by the time I reached 50,000 miles I was disliking the car and by the time I reached 60,000 I hated the car.

I would say about 65% of my driving is done on the high ways (possibly more). I tend to set the cruise control between 85-95MPH while on the high ways. I'm also driving on California roads which are in horrible shape. I'd say the car doing well. I do have fun it, but I'm not constantly hot rodding it or getting on it.

I think if the vehicle has been taken care of and driven similarly, it should be a solid car for while. But how many people set their cruise control at 95?
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-29-2017
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dork Vader View Post
I'm at 54,000 (almost 56,000). I have not had any major issues with anything in the vehicle to date. Mine is a 2015 GT Premium basically has every option except the PP. Mine is also an automatic. I bought it because the car was 3 months old with 2300 miles on it and I got about a $12,000 discount on it.

I did have to have something replaced on the front suspension. They just replaced all of it on the driver side. It was making a clanking sound of some sort when I'd go over bumps. There was an issue with the throttle body making a ticking sound. Those are the only problems I've had so far in the vehicle. Warranty took care of both of those for me so it was not an issue.

I changed the oil every 5,000 miles for the first 20,000 miles and now I run full synthetic in it. I'm still in love with the car, for most people that's not saying much. But I am OCD and I tend to not like things for a long period of time, if it has flaws I'll find them. That's not to say the car is flawless, but I feel Ford did an excellent job with these. My previous car was a 350z that I purchased brand new, by the time I reached 50,000 miles I was disliking the car and by the time I reached 60,000 I hated the car.

I would say about 65% of my driving is done on the high ways (possibly more). I tend to set the cruise control between 85-95MPH while on the high ways. I'm also driving on California roads which are in horrible shape. I'd say the car doing well. I do have fun it, but I'm not constantly hot rodding it or getting on it.

I think if the vehicle has been taken care of and driven similarly, it should be a solid car for while. But how many people set their cruise control at 95?
So you can drive 95 on highway 99?? I need to take a road trip. If you drive that fast in San Diego I think they take your car away and crush it - let the ponies run!

2020 GT/PP - Previous GTs (2000 - 2005 - 2012 - 2016)
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-30-2017
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by harveyshepherd View Post
So you can drive 95 on highway 99?? I need to take a road trip. If you drive that fast in San Diego I think they take your car away and crush it - let the ponies run!
LOL, radar detector and waze help prevent tickets. I have received a few, speeding tickets. I think it was for 72 in a 55 on 41 just outside of Kettleman. It has become more difficult to sustain 95, traffic is a lot heavier these days. But when I take long drives I tend to drive at odd hours to avoid traffic. But yeah 99 is typically where I drive 95 the most. Every now and then 5 on my way to Pacific Grove.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page