New guy here. Question on Cai - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-01-2018 Thread Starter
Rookie

New guy here. Question on Cai

Hey everybody got a 2015 F1 50 eco-boost and just bought a Mustang GT 50 with the performance package. Wanted to know what kind of filter comes with the GT end it there’s even a point in getting a new high-performance filter or a cold air intake?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-01-2018
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantbalint View Post
Hey everybody got a 2015 F1 50 eco-boost and just bought a Mustang GT 50 with the performance package. Wanted to know what kind of filter comes with the GT end it there’s even a point in getting a new high-performance filter or a cold air intake?
If all you are doing is a drop in filter or cold air intake without a tune then no you are wasting your time and money. Even if you do a tune and intake most of your gains are from the tune and not so much the intake. These new intakes and all are great from the factory. The 2005-2009 era they really started building them right and by the 2011+ they were building these Mustangs GREAT! Just my .02 and of course there are better styling and looking intakes so it depends on what you are going for overall.

Current Garage
(11.)2012 GT500 silver with red stripe, SVT performance package, and Recaro seats.
2018 Honda Civic Type R
Past Mustangs in order and color of text.
(1.)2000, (2.)2004, (3.)2006GT/Auto traded for (4.)2006GT/Manual, (5.)1996, (6.)2011GT, (7.)2003GT, (8.)2006GT, (9)2013 Boss 302, and (10.) 2002GT
(I have owned a few non Mustang cars over the years as well, but always try to have a Mustang with it or come quickly back to a Mustang!)
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-01-2018
PONY Member

There a lot of good cai that can give surprisingly more hp and tq with a good tune. On the other hand there are a lot of cai that are actually hot air intakes and will rob some hp/tq. Do your research and choose the right one for your car and it’s intended use

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-01-2018
PONY Member

Previous replies answered pretty well.

I ended up with the K&N intake system. Like others stated, most CAI intakes actually end up taking in hot air. I like the K&N system because it still uses stock sealed box, but with K&N drop in filter of course, and then it replaces the tube between air box and intake manifold. On my 2014, the OEM tube has all kinds of crap under it you can't see until you remove it, it's all for sound, but it messes up air flow. K&N gives you a nice smooth tube. It also deletes the sound tube. No tune required either. They claim 10hp gain and 16 ft lb of torque. I highly doubt that gain, but slow speed throttle response is A LOT better (like around town). So much so, my buddy went and bought the same exact one once he saw the difference mine made. Anyways, they make a system just like it for 2015+ too. Worth it in my opinion, and it CA legal (a plus for me). I think I paid $189, and I think the 2015+ is even cheaper.

EDIT: Found the 2015+ version on LMR: https://lmr.com/item/KN-572590/musta...SABEgKEwPD_BwE

2014 Mustang GT Premium 401a; "Now you can add Premium to your signature." - Thereaper
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-06-2018
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Garage
CAI on these cars, I really don't see the purpose. Most intakes on sports cars now are pretty much cold air from the factory.

However, drop in filters DO make a difference. This is how much of a flow increase the filter I use from aFe makes:

They also don't have to be changed, so you can clean the filter and re-use it which saves money in the long run.

2019 Mustang GT California Special: Oxford White
Appearance Mods: Llumar ceramic tint
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-28-2018
Apprentice

Congrats OP!

We offer filters and intakes for your car
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page