Ford Mustang Forum banner

2018 GT Build

6K views 23 replies 5 participants last post by  Rpinaiii 
#1 ·
My 2018 Mustang GT is about a month and a half old. My first mod is taking out the resonator and installing an H-pipe. Will do this weekend. Next is probably painting the roof Gloss Black. Any ideas on cost for that? Trying to get a general amount people have paid for painting roof of vehicle?

#7 ·
Sound tube delete completed yesterday. Instead of trying to get to the bolt on the firewall I just pulled the tube out and it tore leaving the bolt in the wall. Lol. Then covered both ends. Sounds same in the cab, but engine looks cleaner without that tube.

#13 ·
What is the use of the car?

If any road track in your future, you want 10" wide wheels at least; 10.5 or 11" even better but then you need to be very careful about offsets and clearances.

Along with the intended use, what is budget for your tires? Michelin Pilot Super Sport are some of the best, but definitely not the cheapest. Go with tire width matched to the wheels; for 9" wheels that means about 255; for 10" wheels, 285

#14 ·
@JBert I hear ya. Good advice. I am going with the 255/45/18. I needed to make a decision today because Ameican muscle has a 50 bucks off coupon that expires today. I bought the Mickey Thompson street comp tires. As far as use, it's not a daily driver and I want to go to track, but not often. For wheels didn't want fitment problems with offset .

#18 ·
Installed BMR performance lowering springs. Plus the BMR level 2 lockout kit. I like the look. Its lower but not outrageous. With the springs and lockout kit, the car feels more stable and firm on acceleration. Very satisfied. Here are pics.

Attachments

#19 ·
Installed the Barton two post shifter support bracket. Pic of stock and Barton bracket attached. Stock one is flimsy. After installation i didnt really notice a huge difference in shifting but will give it some time. Figured I try it before actually getting a short throw shifter. No Wow factor or anything like that with the new bracket. Bumper Auto part Automotive exterior

Attachments

#20 ·
In case anyone out there thinking of offset for rear wheels and tires, here are some meaty Mickey Thompsons 305/45/17 SS tires on Cosmis wheels 17x10 +22 offset. I am dropped in the rear by 0.50 inches, very, very slight rubbing on driver side fender to tire. Will not use them as daily driving though. I love it. Looks aggressive as hell lol...

Attachments

#21 ·
yep, they "fit" but not quite . . . not enough offset to get the tires inside the wheel wells . . . is there clearance on the back side; could a wheel with more offset be used?

also you can see the tire "bulging" out a bit in relation to the wheel; because the wheel is on the edge for minimum width for that size tire . . . looks and probably works fine with those fairly high profile tires but would be "worse" with a low profile tire

#22 ·
yep, they "fit" but not quite . . . not enough offset to get the tires inside the wheel wells . . . is there clearance on the back side; could a wheel with more offset be used?

also you can see the tire "bulging" out a bit in relation to the wheel; because the wheel is on the edge for minimum width for that size tire . . . looks and probably works fine with those fairly high profile tires but would be "worse" with a low profile tire
higher offset would have been better, but I got the wheels at a clearance/discount lol - I am fine with them. I like the look of the tires sticking out a bit. The rubbing is very minimal, I only noticed after driving and then inspecting the tires. The clearance on the back side is good no problems there. I don't have the big brakes either so that helped with fitment. If I hadn't dropped the rear by 0.5 inches and stayed at stock, there would be no rubbing at all. And I will say, the tires hook awesome! Wow, talk about traction. I heard nothing but good things about the Thompsons SS tires and its all true - If, I decide to ride this setup daily, I could possible return to stock springs / or another after market spring that has no drop or maybe only 0.25 inches, for instance, or find some type of small spring spacer to install in the rear, but we will see.

#23 ·
Installed 1/8 steeda rear spring spacer and it increased fender height by 1/4, so no rubbing on tire. Also installed the Steeda alignment sleeves for BMR lockout. And once you get one rear sleeve and one bolt in, all others align perfect. So far so good. Also added BMR vertical links since I was doing all other stuff. Here are pics of the stock and BMR link comparison.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.