2018 GT Roush Supercharger Tuning Issues - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-06-2018 Thread Starter
Apprentice

2018 GT Roush Supercharger Tuning Issues

Looking for input from anyone who has had repetitive issues with Roush Superchargers installed by Ford under warranty. Here's the background:

• I bought a new 2018 Mustang GT and had a Roush Supercharger installed by the certified Ford Dealer
  • The car drove fine for a month or so after the install, but then I had a check engine light
  • I took the car in and was told there was a code for faulty air sensor. That code was due to the PCM programming from Roush, not the actual sensor.
  • I picked the car up and drove with the check engine light on, as the dealer advised there was no concern. I was told it was a known issue that
    Roush was working on, and they should have a PCM update coming soon.
  • After about two months and no sign of the updated PCM tune, my car went into limp mode one day with the wrench icon showing in the dash.
    The RPMs wouldn't go over about 1800 RPMS. As you can imagine, this is not only a major inconvenience, but a safety concern. I took it back
    in to the dealer in hopes it would be fixed.
  • Finally, the PCM update from Roush came and I picked up the car.
  • It drove fine for 2-3 weeks, until one day, I started it up and it was running extremely rough. It almost wouldn't run, and wrench icon
    appeared in the dash again.
  • I took it back in to the dealer for evaluation. I'm now being told they are ordering a new throttle body and tensioner(separate issue with a
    "chirp").

When speaking with the Service Manager, I concluded that they are essentially replacing parts as a guess that it will fix it. There was no certainty that the new parts will resolve the issues. I went down this route fulling knowing there could be some issues, as this is obviously not how the car came from the factory. With that being said, Roush is generally known to be reliable in tuning and parts. Considering the premium I paid for Roush parts and installation, I feel its reasonable to not expect issues to this extent.

Unfortunately, I feel have to start thinking about a long-term solution, as I don't have much confidence the issues will be resolved. Has anyone had this kind of experience, and if so, how did you handle it? I'm not sure if "lemon law" even applies here with Roush's involvement? I haven't brought this up to the dealer, but will certainly be a conversation about it when/if I pick the car up again.

Thanks in advance for any input.

2018 GT Base | Black | Auto | Roush Phase 1 Supercharger | Roush Triple Adjustable Coilovers | Forgestar 19X10, 19X11 wheels
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-07-2018
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

sorry I don't have any specific knowledge or tips, except: I think I would try contacting Roush directly, if I was in your situation

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-11-2018 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBert View Post
sorry I don't have any specific knowledge or tips, except: I think I would try contacting Roush directly, if I was in your situation
Thanks, yes that is definitely they next step and probably should have already done that. I received word they will get the parts in tomorrow, so we'll see how the testing goes.

2018 GT Base | Black | Auto | Roush Phase 1 Supercharger | Roush Triple Adjustable Coilovers | Forgestar 19X10, 19X11 wheels

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-13-2018
PONY Member

If it was mine I would take it to a good tuning shop. they’re going to have a lot more knowledge and experience with supercharging and turbocharging these cars then any dealership. Due to warranty issues maybe you’ll want them to tune it maybe you won’t but I’m betting that they will have some useful advice
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-28-2018 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson3010 View Post
If it was mine I would take it to a good tuning shop. theyíre going to have a lot more knowledge and experience with supercharging and turbocharging these cars then any dealership. Due to warranty issues maybe youíll want them to tune it maybe you wonít but Iím betting that they will have some useful advice
I thought about that, but yea, its under warranty. And the dealership doesn't really do anything in regards to the tuning, they just load what Roush sends them. Once the warranty is out, I do plan to eventually take it to a dyno tuner.

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-28-2018 Thread Starter
Apprentice

I got the car back a week ago with a new throttle body, tensioner, and belt from Roush. It seems to be driving well so far, but we'll see. I made it known at the dealer that, if it happens again, we need to look at a "long-term" solution. They are sending me the paperwork on what was done, and then I'll make the call to Roush to review and let them know my position as well.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-31-2018
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

sounds good, thanks for the update

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 3 Weeks Ago
Rookie

Similar issues with My 2017 Roush. I’ve retained a lawyer to go after Ford under the Lemon Law. 8 months in the shop so far with no end in sight. I’ve had enough.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 2 Weeks Ago
PONY Member

This is not a lemon law case because the parts were added to the car at the request of the customer. It’s just a warranty issue. You can go after roush but good luck. I would have it custom tuned. There are ways around the warranty issue with tuning.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page