Bullitt vs 10 Speed GT - Ford Mustang Forum
View Poll Results: what would you prefer for a daily driver?
Bullitt 7 50.00%
Fully loaded 10 speed GT 7 50.00%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-13-2018 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Question Bullitt vs 10 Speed GT

I am creating this post because I would like to hear what everybody thinks about the new Bullitt. I am actually considering cancelling my GT order for a Bullitt and I just want to hear your opinions. The manual transmission used to be the quicker and greener option for a Mustang all the way up to the 2017 model but the 10 speed is the first auto that has a better 0-60 and MPG rating than the manual for the first time in history. I know the Bullitt has a little more power but it has the weird revised gear ratio MT82D4 that is really like a 4 speed manual. My dealership actually let me drive a premium GT with a manual transmission for 20 miles and while it was fun, it felt slow and sluggish compared the 10 speed. The new manual made me question if there was a V8 under the hood because you could definitely feel the loss of torque between shifts unlike the 10 speed. Obviously they would not let me test drive the Bullitt because it it is a limited edition car. I do know that the Bullitt has the same manual transmission in it but it has a tune and GT350 bits under the hood and I wonder if that helps offset the taller gearing. Ford does not post a 0-60 time for the Bullitt on their website so I wonder if it is slower than a 10 speed GT with the performance pack? I have always wanted to own one manual sports car in my life but I think now it would be the stupid choice when there is a brand new automatic that GM and Ford built together unlike the Chinese built Getrag. I do not care about quarter mile time difference but I do care about 0-60 take off time. I am just creating this poll to gauge which car the public likes more.

Retired but not forgotten
2014 Mustang V6 Performance Pack, Airaid CAI, Automatic 3.31
stock 0-60: 5.8 seconds
tune and cai: 5.2 seconds
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-13-2018
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cem Sengul View Post
I am creating this post because I would like to hear what everybody thinks about the new Bullitt. I am actually considering cancelling my GT order for a Bullitt and I just want to hear your opinions. The manual transmission used to be the quicker and greener option for a Mustang all the way up to the 2017 model but the 10 speed is the first auto that has a better 0-60 and MPG rating than the manual for the first time in history. I know the Bullitt has a little more power but it has the weird revised gear ratio MT82D4 that is really like a 4 speed manual. My dealership actually let me drive a premium GT with a manual transmission for 20 miles and while it was fun, it felt slow and sluggish compared the 10 speed. The new manual made me question if there was a V8 under the hood because you could definitely feel the loss of torque between shifts unlike the 10 speed. Obviously they would not let me test drive the Bullitt because it it is a limited edition car. I do know that the Bullitt has the same manual transmission in it but it has a tune and GT350 bits under the hood and I wonder if that helps offset the taller gearing. Ford does not post a 0-60 time for the Bullitt on their website so I wonder if it is slower than a 10 speed GT with the performance pack? I have always wanted to own one manual sports car in my life but I think now it would be the stupid choice when there is a brand new automatic that GM and Ford built together unlike the Chinese built Getrag. I do not care about quarter mile time difference but I do care about 0-60 take off time. I am just creating this poll to gauge which car the public likes more.
Just ordered a GT Premium 6 speed. Drove one for about 20 miles before ordering and sat in a Bullitt. Trans throws felt the same. Not sure of the gearing in the Bullitt, but I ordered mine with 3.73 gears. Plan to install Roush CAI Performance PAC with new tune. This should make the engine output aligned to the Bullitt. Guess it would come down to personal likes / dislikes at that point.

post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-13-2018
Rookie

I have a 10spd GT and it's amazing. Lighter in weight than bullit, faster than a manual because you pretty much can't out shift an auto, same red line, the bullit has like 20hp more for like 20 grand more lol It's pretty much a GT performance pack maxed out in a 6spd. And yes I felt the same with the manual too. The sluggish shifts were just upsetting compared to the 10spd. I say go with the 10spd and spend the cash you were on a Bullitt and put them in upgrades.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-14-2018
PONY Member

Automatic transmissions have been faster in the Dig for a long long time. the Big advantage of a stick shift is that you can come out of the hole at any rpm you want. that’s why you put a trans break in and then your automatic is much faster
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-14-2018
PONY Member

10 Speed GT all day long. I don't like the new Bullitt at all though, so take my opinion with a grain of salt. I think it's ugly with all it's Autozone Aisle 6 chrome all over the place, and wheels that look like cheap universal wheels that were made to fit 20 different cars. Get rid of the chrome, and those gawd awful wheels, and it'd be a much better looking car. end /rant lol
Cem Sengul likes this.

2014 Mustang GT Premium 401a; "Now you can add Premium to your signature." - Thereaper
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-14-2018
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
. . . the Bullitt has .... the weird revised gear ratio MT82D4 that is really like a 4 speed manual. ... premium GT with a manual transmission ... felt slow and sluggish compared the 10 speed. The new manual made me question if there was a V8 under the hood because you could definitely feel the loss of torque between shifts .... helps offset the taller gearing. . . . . I have always wanted to own one manual sports car in my life . . . .
I voted for the Bullitt because I like it, plus you said you always wanted to own a manual sports car . . . even though I would like the Bullitt even better without the chrome, and with a good old Tremec transmission instead of the Chinese Getrag.

What do you mean, the new MT82D4 is "like a 4-speed manual"?

If the manual is "losing torque" on the shifts, that probably means you are shifting too soon, you need to tach it out a bit more so it is still in the powerband after the shift. The 10 speed automatic has super-close ratios so the difference between gears is much smaller.

What taller gearing? The Bullitt has 3.73 rear I believe; which is probably a little on the short side for my tastes.

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-14-2018
Rookie

I would go for the 10 speed auto also. I traded a 2016 Challenger R/T Shaker on the 2018 Mustang GT Premium mainly because I was tired of shifting gears. Yes, it's fun at first until the newness wears off after a few months.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-14-2018
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBert View Post
h I would like the Bullitt even better without the chrome, and with a good old Tremec transmission instead of the Chinese Getrag.
A Tremec would change my whole opinion of the car for sure. I still don't like some of the appearance things on the car, but those can be changed, and a Tremec would make me willing to do those changes.
Cem Sengul likes this.

2014 Mustang GT Premium 401a; "Now you can add Premium to your signature." - Thereaper
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-14-2018 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
I voted for the Bullitt because I like it, plus you said you always wanted to own a manual sports car . . . even though I would like the Bullitt even better without the chrome, and with a good old Tremec transmission instead of the Chinese Getrag.

What do you mean, the new MT82D4 is "like a 4-speed manual"?

If the manual is "losing torque" on the shifts, that probably means you are shifting too soon, you need to tach it out a bit more so it is still in the powerband after the shift. The 10 speed automatic has super-close ratios so the difference between gears is much smaller.

What taller gearing? The Bullitt has 3.73 rear I believe; which is probably a little on the short side for my tastes.
What I meant when I said the MT82D4 is like a 4 speed manual is that the ratios on this new manual have changed from 2017. 5th and 6th gear are now overdrive and 4th gear is top gear to do a top speed run in. So that makes it 4 tall forward running gears and I think that makes it feel really slow when compared to the 10 speed. On a 2017 Mustang GT with a manual transmission, only 6th gear is overdrive so you have a close ratio gear box and you are more in the powerband of the coyote engine.

PONY Member

Quote:
What I meant when I said the MT82D4 is like a 4 speed manual is that the ratios on this new manual have changed from 2017. 5th and 6th gear are now overdrive and 4th gear is top gear to do a top speed run in. So that makes it 4 tall forward running gears and I think that makes it feel really slow when compared to the 10 speed. On a 2017 Mustang GT with a manual transmission, only 6th gear is overdrive so you have a close ratio gear box and you are more in the powerband of the coyote engine.
Really? I didn't know this. Learned something new today.

SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
. . . . 5th and 6th gear are now overdrive and 4th gear is top gear to do a top speed run in. . . . only 6th gear is overdrive so you have a close ratio gear box and you are more in the powerband of the coyote engine.
I actually like that, I never understood why the old ratios were set up the way they were. This should be a better match for 3.73 rear.

I would be interested to see the actual transmission gear ratios, so I can compare them to the old ones, if anyone knows where to find them.

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day
Rookie

Quote:
I actually like that, I never understood why the old ratios were set up the way they were. This should be a better match for 3.73 rear.

I would be interested to see the actual transmission gear ratios, so I can compare them to the old ones, if anyone knows where to find them.

I'm going to find out once my GT arrives. Old school and don't mind shifting. This is my fun-weekend fair weather rider.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-14-2018 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Goat Ninja View Post
10 Speed GT all day long. I don't like the new Bullitt at all though, so take my opinion with a grain of salt. I think it's ugly with all it's Autozone Aisle 6 chrome all over the place, and wheels that look like cheap universal wheels that were made to fit 20 different cars. Get rid of the chrome, and those gawd awful wheels, and it'd be a much better looking car. end /rant lol
I am glad that I am not the only person who thinks the chrome trim and rims on the new Bullitt are cringe worthy. I love the body paint of Dark Highland Green but the rest is ugly. My friends think I am nuts for hating the new "Heritage" wheels but ugly is ugly. to put it in perspective, the new wheel would suit an older body style but they look like no name crappy rims installed on an expensive muscle car when compared to the standard performance pack wheels that have the spider web design. I actually think the performance pack wheels are even sexier than the Shelby's rims because those just hold wide rubber but do not look nice.

I have attached images of the three wheels I have mentioned. Feel free to disagree with me but I think the performance pack wheels is the sexiest among the three I have attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	shelby.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	158.0 KB
ID:	607451   Click image for larger version

Name:	images.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	8.2 KB
ID:	607453   Click image for larger version

Name:	2018_mustang_gt_pp_tires.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	36.1 KB
ID:	607455  
Old Goat Ninja likes this.

PONY Member

I'd get the Bullitt and then I'd put in my own automatic. I really like my 1968 Bullitt Mustang and the new one's chrome gives a nod to that original styling and the wheels are the modern successor to the modified coke bottles on the original.
The original is the only fastback I do like. I wish the new version had a higher front end stance more like the original, but you can't always get what you want.
Since so many people will be buying the auto it will be the less rare car in 50 years.
RBK
Rookie

I own a 2018 GT Perf. Package 1 with the 10 speed and like it very much. I did have two 6-speed manual Mustangs prior to this one and must admit I miss shifting gears. This is a tough choice as the 6-speed manual is the MT82 with a few changes and I always considered that transmission as less than adequate. If the new GTs would have had a Tremec transmission in them I would still be driving a manual. I say if you can afford the extra money buy the Bullitt, I still miss shifting the gears and if the Bullitt was a choice when I bought my '18 GT I would not have hesitated to get the 6-speed manual. If you always wanted a manual get it, you will be disappointed if you don't. I know the 10 speed is faster but do you really race the car or are you buying it to have fun driving it? The reason I went with the automatic was mostly due to my age, 67 when I bought the car, and just didn't know how long before I got tired of shifting myself, or unable. I still have regrets, occasionally, for not getting the manual. If you are younger and like to have fun driving, by all means, get the Bullitt if the extra cost will not strain your budget.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page