Avoid AutoNation - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By dgc333

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-13-2019 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Avoid AutoNation

I am just writing this post as a public service announcement. For background, I purchased a 2019 Mustang GT Ingot Silver color on August 2018 from AutoNation Ford Katy in Houston Texas. Well my car had defects that I noticed the moment I came home and was not apparent in the test drive. The USB cable port, as in the whole assembly would come out and expose wiring and a green silicon board just from the gentle force of removing a USB cable, the horn was too quiet, the screen's backlight was flickering only in night mode. So I brought it into service and they told me it would need a whole new computer, screen, and wiring. That was all on a brand new car, so I told them they can keep the car and that I want to sell it back. They agreed to take the car back since it was only a week old and I decided to order a replacement car in Velocity Blue with Magneride. Magneride was the only feature my Silver car lacked and I figured if I am going to wait for the order I can pay the difference by the time it arrives, it is only a 1600 dollar feature right. So I placed my order on August 17th and I asked my salesman multiple times about how long the delivery would take and he told me it should only 6-8 weeks. I then asked if there were any back order on parts for 2019 Mustangs and he assured there were none. Well my car arrived on January 5th, 2019 in 4 months. After waiting 4 months when my car arrived, I was shocked. There was a deep tear on the passenger leather seat and on the headliner. After they did some investigating, they found out it happened at the dealership when an employee was using a razor to remove the cover on parts inside the interior. I knew it happened at the dealership and not by a shipping company because this was interior damage and cars come sealed from Detroit and only get unwrapped at the dealership. So after waiting 4 months on my custom order they damaged it and I wanted compensation for my hardship. I asked them to waive the $1600 cost of Magneride and they said they can not do that because the parts they have to replace on my brand new car costs 2000 dollars alone. Then they rudely asked me if I wanted my car or not because they need to know if they should repair it? I have seen multiple damaged Mustangs at this dealership that were brand new and the one I bought and returned to them made me think maybe I would be safer if I order custom Mustang because nobody can test drive it or **** around with it. They managed to **** that up for me too haha. So I tried contacting AutoNation Corporate through calls and emails and received no response. I finally asked them to just give me my money back because even though I will lose a bit of money from tax, it is still better than losing my self respect and paying them more money with no compensation. All the cars there are messed with, do not purchase a car there if you live in the Houston area and you are looking to buy a new Ford.

One last thing to help you guys if you do go to AutoNation Ford Katy and are looking at their inventory. Do not purchase a 2019 Mustang GT Premium Velocity Blue in this vin: 1FA6P8CF9K5142976
If you want to buy my cancelled order make sure to sweat them on the replaced leather seat and headliner.

Retired but not forgotten
2014 Mustang V6 Performance Pack, Airaid CAI, Automatic 3.31
stock 0-60: 5.8 seconds
tune and cai: 5.2 seconds
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-13-2019
PONY Member

Seems to me you never gave the dealership a chance to make the issues right on either car.

On the silver one those defects could have been found on a car at any dealership and any dealership would have addressed it the same away by replacing parts and it sounded like they were more than reasonable buying it back.

The one you ordered that certainly is a screw up by someone but it could have happened anywhere along the path from the factory to the dealer. For them to have replaced a seat cover and head liner is no big deal, it sounds as though they were prepared to.

Not sure where you got the idea the car is sealed from the factory. They are driven from the assembly line to the staging lot. They are then driven onto the rail car or truck for delivery. They are then driven off at the other end and in the case of rail they are driven onto/off a truck once more. The damage could have happened at any one of those points. That is why new cars always arrive with 4 or 5 miles on the odometer.

Dave

my89foxbody likes this.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-13-2019 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Well they told me themselves that they accidentally damaged the car when it arrived sealed by opening the covers with a razor. Also I was scared of the electrical problems with the silver Mustang because my best friend bought a Dodge Challenger in the past that had electrical issues that the dealership tried to fix but never worked right afterwards. They would not give me a discount on the 1600 dollar cost in light of me having to accept a brand new car with repair work done and that was what I found unacceptable.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-13-2019
GLOBAL MODERATOR
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Cem,

I'm sorry you had two bad experiences buying a car. One bad experience is enough to torque most people off. Its not clear to me reading your posts if you accepted a car from AutoNation or purchased one from another outlet in the Houston area?

Maybe you or others can clarify for me what AutoNation Ford Katy, is. Is it an independent retailer that functions as a middle man, or is it a fully authorized Ford dealership?

----------------------------
2019 Charger Scat Pack White
2012 Mustang GT, Roush 2300 Black
2006 Mustang V6 Manual Legend Lime Sold
2016 Jeep Willys Silver Vin 060 RIP
2016 Jeep Willys Silver Vin 059 Sold
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-13-2019
PONY Member

I have had only good experiences with Auto Nation.
Also, I would never drive any car with leather seats, they are the worst.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Well I am not so angry anymore now because the general manager of the dealership did the right thing today. He refunded me what I paid the dealership then he paid out of pocket for the tax title and license that the government took from me. So it was a bad experience waiting four months and my car arrives and gets damaged and I choose not to take it because they would not give me a discount considering I would be accepting a repaired car before even driving one mile in it. However I got to leave with my self respect and my money back in full so I am happy now. For now I am not sure I still want a Mustang anymore, I have become very sour from this experience. My stupid mind is considering a 2019 Camaro SS in Riverside Blue a little. I will not make a car purchase now because soon there will be new models from many companies and I have a suspicion the Mustang GT will get another face lift for 2020 which would be the last year for the S550 and you know Ford usually makes another face lift for the last model year of a platform. I just hope they make the style more conservative like the 2015 model

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019
SENIOR AFM MEMBER
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cem Sengul View Post
Well I am not so angry anymore now because the general manager of the dealership did the right thing today. He refunded me what I paid the dealership then he paid out of pocket for the tax title and license that the government took from me. So it was a bad experience waiting four months and my car arrives and gets damaged and I choose not to take it because they would not give me a discount considering I would be accepting a repaired car before even driving one mile in it. However I got to leave with my self respect and my money back in full so I am happy now. For now I am not sure I still want a Mustang anymore, I have become very sour from this experience. My stupid mind is considering a 2019 Camaro SS in Riverside Blue a little. I will not make a car purchase now because soon there will be new models from many companies and I have a suspicion the Mustang GT will get another face lift for 2020 which would be the last year for the S550 and you know Ford usually makes another face lift for the last model year of a platform. I just hope they make the style more conservative like the 2015 model
Sounds to me like the dealer while the caused some very unforunate and stressful events always did the right thing for you. More than I would have thought to be honest. I have bought to many cars over the years and not all my issues were worked out this well and some not even at all... I would consider you very lucky.

My only advice is don't make a decision based on emotion just yet as those decisions normally cost a lot. haha I am a car guy not a Mustang guy. I say that have owning a lot of Mustangs and would admit Mustangs are my favorite car, but I still love all performance cars and have owned and currently own one that is not a Mustang or even a Ford. I say that to say the Camaro and the Mustang while they compete are two very different cars from the way they drive, to blind spots, and so much more. Before you pull the trigger drive whatever car it is and make sure it works and try to take emotion of what happened out of the mix.

Plenty of other dealers to buy from if you go the Mustang route, but note the things that happened as stated by other members above could happen at any Ford dealer or any brand dealer for that matter no matter what route you go.

As far as Ford changing the body that is unknown really. Ford has been very unpredictable lately with body changes, motor/trans changes, and changes in general. They used to be very predictable, but not so much in the past 10ish years.

The GT500 coming only in auto trans now worries me this could be a near whole line change as Ford is really proud of the auto trans. The industry as a whole seems to be going that way as well. So just something else to consider if you like manuals over auto.

Past Mustangs in order and color of text.
(1.)2000, (2.)2004, (3.)2006GT/Auto traded for (4.)2006GT/Manual, (5.)1996, (6.)2011GT, (7.)2003GT, (8.)2006GT, (9.)
2013 Boss 302, and (10.) 2002GT (I have owned a few non Mustang cars over the years as well, but always try to have a Mustang with it or come quickly back to a Mustang!)
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangLife View Post
.....now worries me this could be a near whole line change as Ford is really proud of the auto <acronym title="transmission">trans</acronym>. The industry as a whole seems to be going that way as well. So just something else to consider if you like manuals over auto.
I'll tell you where it's headed: 1) The days of the V8 engine are numbered. Small turbo engines seem to be the industry's "thing" and are becoming more numerous even in larger cars. 2) Transmissions are headed in the direction of the CVT. Automakers keep adding gears to the trannys in order to maximize efficiency. The CVT theoretically has an infinite number of ratios and therefore maximizes efficiency.

2018 Subaru Crosstrek Premium CVT
(traded my 2014 GT Premium automatic on 19 August 2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page