275/40/20 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Garage
275/40/20

I was shopping around and found a really good deal on some brand new tires.

Wanted to know will there be enough clearance for 275/40/20ís on the front and the rear and if anyone else has this set up?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

I don't know the answer, but that is a pretty tall tire . . . to get a rough idea how much bigger it is than original, you can look up the diameter of your original tires and those new tires on any of the on-line sources like Tire Rack. I'm guessing you can get away with a tire that is about 1" taller (tire outer diameter) than the originals; but the added width will make it more critical.

What width wheels do you have? While you're in Tire Rack looking up the diameter, check the recommended wheel rim width also; generally for 275 tires you want a 9.5" wheel ; can probably get away with 9" wheel but you won't get full performance from the tire (see tire manufacturer's recommendations)

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019
PONY Member

That tire is roughly 1 and a half inches taller than OEM sizes (different OEM wheel packages have slightly different overall heights, so don't know what yours is exactly). A 1 and a half inch taller tire will raise your car 3/4 of an inch and is enough to change your overall gear ratio too.

2014 Mustang GT Premium 401a; "Now you can add Premium to your signature." - Thereaper

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Garage
JBert and Old Goat Ninja thanks for the info. I currently have 235/50/18ís.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coop View Post
JBert and Old Goat Ninja thanks for the info. I currently have 235/50/18ís.
So you will need new wheels to go with those tires; and they should be at least 9.5" or better yet 10" wide. I don't know what price you found on the tires, but I'd suggest you look at the total cost for the wheels, tires, and TPMS sensors.

Regarding the tires, here is info I found for you on Tire Rack:

235/50R18 example (you'll get better information if you look up your exact tires, but this should be fairly close)
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...omCompare1=yes
diameter = 27.3", which is typical of the "normal standard factory tires" on these cars

275/40R20 example (same make/model as above for comparison; again you should look up the exact tires you are considering, but this will be very close)
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...omCompare1=yes
diameter = 28.7" ; which is just about 1-1/2" taller than the originals, like we guessed earlier
measuring rim width is 9.5" ; rim width range 9-11" . . . you really want your wheels to be the measuring width or wider

If your car is not lowered, I think they will probably clear, but not sure. A while back I learned that Ford still engineers these cars with enough clearance for tire chains, and I assume that is still the case . . . but I really don't know for sure if those tires, which are both tall and wide, will clear.

Also the speedometer will be off a bit if not recallibrated -- you will be going a bit faster than the speedometer says

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page