• 2 Post By JBert
  • 2 Post By Kraig1957
  • 1 Post By Dana W
  • 1 Post By Elvisbat

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-02-2019 Thread Starter
Rookie

Crack in the windshield

Aaarrrghh!! Just noticed a crack in my windshield. Passenger side about 5 inches coming up from the base.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-02-2019
PONY Member

Garage
Damm, Dude. Bummer. It may be time for "Elvis" to leave the building (and go to the glass shop). Make a few calls around to the glass shops. The last I heard windshields weren't overly expensive but I guess it depends on the car.

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-02-2019
GLOBAL MODERATOR
5.0L Member
S197 Member

If you keep air out of the crack it will slow down the cracking until you can replace it. Cut a strip of clear packing tape and place it over the crack.

I have a Jeep, which is notorious for windshield replacements, and have used the tape-method a couple times and it stopped the crack from getting bigger.

There is also a new product on the market made by Corning called Gorilla Glass. I installed GG in the Jeep last year after replacing the windshield twice previously due to rock damage using OEM glass, and I've had rocks bounce off the new GG windshield without as much as a nick. Super good glass but its about twice the price. It also has better hail resistance.

I think Ford used GG on the Ford GT but do not know if they make replacement windshields for the Mustang using GG. Something to ask when you look to replace the windshield.

----------------------------
2019 Charger Scat Pack White
2012 Mustang GT, Roush 2300 Black
2006 Mustang V6 Manual Legend Lime Sold
2016 Jeep Willys Silver Vin 060 RIP
2016 Jeep Willys Silver Vin 059 Sold

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019
GT Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Simply call your insurance company. There are very few states any more that don't require car insurance companies to cover windshield replacement with no deductible. It should not cost you anything at all.

130 total pounds of Pitbull ruled by 8 pounds of cat.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019 Thread Starter
Rookie

Geico is offering to replace the windshield for $50 at Safelite windshield repair.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dana W View Post
Simply call your insurance company. There are very few states any more that don't require car insurance companies to cover windshield replacement with no deductible. It should not cost you anything at all.
I want to live where you live. I just replaced mine last month. Insurance didn't cover squat.

2014 Mustang GT Premium 401a; "Now you can add Premium to your signature." - Thereaper
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

^^^^^ What? You mean to tell us that California does NOT have a law that says all auto insurance must include glass coverage?

I find that hard to believe, since California is usually the leading "nanny state" in the union . . . . but don't feel too bad about it, remember "there is no free lunch" so this means that you are not paying for extra insurance that you usually don't need, until now; and the premiums that you saved in the past probably more than cover the cost of the windshield that you had to pay for our of your pocket, instead of from your insurance premiums.

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019
Apprentice

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dana W View Post

From this source few states require car insurance companies to provide zero deductible full glass coverage. Even then you still need a comprehensive policy, or one that covers glass.

• If you live in Kentucky, Florida, or South Carolina and have comprehensive auto insurance, there’s a good chance that you’ll qualify for a free windshield replacement.
  • If you live in Arizona, Massachusetts, or New York, you may have a separate glass endorsement, $0, or $100 glass deductible.
  • If you live in any other state, check your insurance policy to determine your comprehensive deductible.
huberoy123 and my89foxbody like this.

2010 Kona Blue GT Premium traded in June 2016 for a 2016 Oxford White GT Premium with Ceramic interior. Automatic transmission, Sync3, p265/35r20 tires, Shaker audio system. Other vehicles 1964 Pontiac Catalina 389, 1972 Pontiac Lemans 400, 1967 Ford F-100 352, 2016 Ford F-350 Dually, 2003 Ford Crown Victoria LX.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019
GT Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Goat Ninja View Post
I want to live where you live. I just replaced mine last month. Insurance didn't cover squat.
I'm in Florida. State law. Windshield ONLY covered, no deductible, no questions. The rest of the glass is under the comp rider. Of course one actually has to buy comp. Liability does not help.

Nothing could get me to even consider moving to California.

Since my broker sounded so self assured I didn't question her five years ago when we moved here. "Oh almost all of them do it now" she says.

Anyway, I didn't move here for car insurance. I moved here for no state income taxes, no snow, cheap real estate, reasonably warm winters, and nearly 365 days a year BEACH weather, depending on how far one would be willing to drive to the bikini zone.
Mac The Knife likes this.

130 total pounds of Pitbull ruled by 8 pounds of cat.
GLOBAL MODERATOR
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvisbat View Post
Geico is offering to replace the windshield for $50 at Safelite windshield repair.
$50 is reasonable if you cannot get it free under your policy. Find out if Safelite will replace it with glass that has the logos if your windshield currently has logos.

----------------------------
2019 Charger Scat Pack White
2012 Mustang GT, Roush 2300 Black
2006 Mustang V6 Manual Legend Lime Sold
2016 Jeep Willys Silver Vin 060 RIP
2016 Jeep Willys Silver Vin 059 Sold
Apprentice

I just had the window replaced in my Mustang here in VA. It was covered under comprehensive. I think I had $50 deductible. Make sure you insist on an OEM windshield. Replacement glass is made with wider tolerances and will not fit as well, requiring more adhesive to fill the gaps. I had a replacement windshield put I’m my wife’s minivan years ago and you could hear wind noise at highway speeds. I packed the area with strip caulk, pushing it in with a paint paddle. Since flush glazing wasn’t universal at the time, it wasn’t noticeable. At the risk of being redundant, get OEM glass.

He is no fool, who gives what he cannot keep, to gain what he cannot lose.
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra2572 View Post
Make sure you insist on an OEM windshield. Replacement glass is made with wider tolerances and will not fit as well, requiring more adhesive to fill the gaps. I had a replacement windshield put I’m my wife’s minivan years ago and you could hear wind noise at highway speeds. I packed the area with strip caulk, pushing it in with a paint paddle. Since flush glazing wasn’t universal at the time, it wasn’t noticeable. At the risk of being redundant, get OEM glass.
I used replacement glass on mine. It was $250 cheaper. No way I was going to pay an extra $250 just for a dang horse no one ever sees. Anyways, my replacement glass is actually quieter then my OEM was. That was the first thing I noticed when I got on the freeway for the first time, how quiet it was inside my car. It was a noticeable amount too. Maybe you just had bad luck with yours? Or they installed it poorly?

2014 Mustang GT Premium 401a; "Now you can add Premium to your signature." - Thereaper
Apprentice

Cracked Windshield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Goat Ninja View Post
I used replacement glass on mine. It was $250 cheaper. No way I was going to pay an extra $250 just for a dang horse no one ever sees. Anyways, my replacement glass is actually quieter then my OEM was. That was the first thing I noticed when I got on the freeway for the first time, how quiet it was inside my car. It was a noticeable amount too. Maybe you just had bad luck with yours? Or they installed it poorly?
This was back in the 80's with what was probably a Chinese replacement part. Actually with my insurance it didn't matter either way. I'm just fussy about that stuff and wanted the Carlite TM. I worked in an automotive glass fabrication company (PPG) for 32 years so maybe I just have an obsession with OEM glass.

He is no fool, who gives what he cannot keep, to gain what he cannot lose.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019 Thread Starter
Rookie

Had the logo’s. $50 and done in an hour and a half. So far perfect.

All my best
Elvisbat
Cobra2572 likes this.
Rookie

I think you need to find a garage which does glass repair and ask if they can stop your crack of going further. But it should be better to replace the cracked windshield
http://www.suntecautoglass.com/winds...tucson_az.html
https://www.maxautoglass.com/

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page