test drove a 2019 GT base model - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019 Thread Starter
PONY Member

test drove a 2019 GT base model

I finally caved in and did the title. I basically do not like the S550 styling but am still contemplating the purchase of another Mustang. I traded a 2014 GT Premium for the Subaru Crosstrek that I currently drive. Although I really like the Crosstrek which is a great car, a new Mustang is still in my future.

The Stang that I drove was a base model automatic. One thing that has greatly improved over earlier S550s is the driver's view over the hood. Rather than extending what seemed like a football field length in previous years, the hood now slopes off which greatly lessens that impression. It's now much closer to the views over the hood of my '14 which I loved.

Overall the S550 is an improvement over my '14. I really enjoyed the test drive especially the growl of the exhaust. That was nice! My '14 had an interior exhaust drone that was annoying and detracted from the driving experience. This was even after I put the GT500 cat backs on it. But the "19's growl was heard only out the rear of the car which is where it should only be heard.

The ride was firm and controlled. However, when I would turn from a stop like in a left turn lane at an intersection, the tranny couldn't quite decide what gear it needed. There was somewhat of a hesitation until I gave it a firm pedal. That was a tad annoying but something that I could tolerate.

I didn't take it out on the freeway, but just in city driving I could tell that the car was quite eager to "get it on"! In general and considering my experience with the '14, it would be fun to own.

2018 Subaru Crosstrek Premium CVT
(traded my 2014 GT Premium automatic on 19 August 2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019
Administrator
Classic Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

I didn't really care for the body style at first but a few have caught my eye recently. I'll keep an eye out for more posts to see what direction you go with this, best of luck!

Engine mods - all stock, trust me, wanna run??!!!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019
Apprentice

Yes the new mustangs, 18 and 19 sound really good stock. I have the base 18 GT but stick. Good price and still the same engine and have been enjoying it so far. Let us know if you end up getting it.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019
GLOBAL MODERATOR
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Okie Hick, I think the auto transmission searching out for a gear is a training mode issue until the computer learns the drivers habits. Plus, its a 10 speed transmission so there seems to be constant shifting taking place.

----------------------------
2019 Charger Scat Pack White
2012 Mustang GT, Roush 2300 Black
2006 Mustang V6 Manual Legend Lime Sold
2016 Jeep Willys Silver Vin 060 RIP
2016 Jeep Willys Silver Vin 059 Sold
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.Cooper View Post
I didn't really care for the body style at first but a few have caught my eye recently. I'll keep an eye out for more posts to see what direction you go with this, best of luck!
If the purchase decision were mine and mine alone, a black '19 Mustang GT Premium automatic would be sitting in my driveway at this very moment!

2018 Subaru Crosstrek Premium CVT
(traded my 2014 GT Premium automatic on 19 August 2017)
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019
PONY Member

With the car having 10 automatic gears It can take a little while for the computer to learn how you drive.gets a lot better as you go
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019
Apprentice

Get the manual! you can change the gears instead of the computer lol
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019
MACH I Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.Cooper View Post
I didn't really care for the body style at first but a few have caught my eye recently.
Same here, I still prefer the 2011-14 look

IF MY CAR WENT AS FAST AS THE MONEY I SPEND ON IT, I'D WIN EVERY RACE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page