Jacking Rails - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-30-2019 Thread Starter
Rookie

Jacking Rails

So, I bought a 2019 GT. It has not spare tire. No problem - I'll buy one. And I'll see if I can locate a jack that will do the trick. BUT WAIT! The car doesn't come with a jack by design. So it appears that the car is not intended for you to jack it up at any point along the chassis that you please. Then I see these jacking rails for sale on-line. It appears the intent is to install these in event you want to jack the car up as we did for all those other cars we used to own when we had a flat. They install on the bottom of the car along the rocker panel. Do I have this right?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-30-2019
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackslax View Post
So, I bought a 2019 GT. It has not spare tire. No problem - I'll buy one. And I'll see if I can locate a jack that will do the trick. BUT WAIT! The car doesn't come with a jack by design. So it appears that the car is not intended for you to jack it up at any point along the chassis that you please. Then I see these jacking rails for sale on-line. It appears the intent is to install these in event you want to jack the car up as we did for all those other cars we used to own when we had a flat. They install on the bottom of the car along the rocker panel. Do I have this right?
Can’t say I have looked under the newer 2015 or new Mustangs, but if the truly don’t have aloft points on the sides anymore you can still use the front and rear jack points. The front is harder to explain, but the rear is the diff. I assume these are still safe spots, but spots I have seen recommended for all other years. Personally I don’t like using them, but have in tight situations where I had to get something done...

Current Garage
(11.)2012 GT500 silver with red stripe, SVT performance package, and Recaro seats.
2018 Honda Civic Type R
Past Mustangs in order and color of text.
(1.)2000, (2.)2004, (3.)2006GT/Auto traded for (4.)2006GT/Manual, (5.)1996, (6.)2011GT, (7.)2003GT, (8.)2006GT, (9)2013 Boss 302, and (10.) 2002GT
(I have owned a few non Mustang cars over the years as well, but always try to have a Mustang with it or come quickly back to a Mustang!)
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-30-2019
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

That's kinda weird about the lack of a jack and no jacking points; have you checked the manual about jacking? Does that mean the owner is never supposed to change a tire? How is AAA supposed to jack it up?

Anyway, I think the jacking rails are a real good idea. During road track season I jack up my car a LOT so I bought them for my 2010 . . . haven't actually installed them yet, but I assume they will work. Then you can actually put the jack in the middle and jack up the whole side of the car and get both wheels off the ground at the same time.

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-30-2019
Apprentice

Garage
Quote:

For the front you can jack from the K-member or along the pinch weld. For the rear anywhere along the pinch weld. I have had to change a tire and that is what I used. I prefer the K-member for jacking up the front. That is how I do my oil changes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	attachment-jpg.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	262.4 KB
ID:	612071   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mustang jacking points.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	218.7 KB
ID:	612073   Click image for larger version

Name:	jack-up-your-mustang-2.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	612075  
JBert, my89foxbody and MustangLife like this.

2010 Kona Blue GT Premium traded in June 2016 for a 2016 Oxford White GT Premium with Ceramic interior. Automatic transmission, Sync3, p265/35r20 tires, Shaker audio system. Other vehicles 1964 Pontiac Catalina 389, 1972 Pontiac Lemans 400, 1967 Ford F-100 352, 2016 Ford F-350 Dually, 2003 Ford Crown Victoria LX.

Last edited by Kraig1957; 10-31-2019 at 03:26 AM.
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-30-2019
GLOBAL MODERATOR
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Zl1 Addons are my fav for jacking. Others have other preferences but use something on those seam welds to aid jacking.

And while you're sourcing a spare and jack, don't forget the lug wrench. A good one. Not one that's built in to the jack handle.
MustangLife likes this.

----------------------------
2012 Mustang GT, Roush 2300 Black
2006 Mustang V6 Manual Legend Lime Sold
2019 Charger Scat Pack White
2016 Jeep Willys Silver Vin 060 GBNF
2016 Jeep Willys Silver Vin 059 Sold
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-31-2019 Thread Starter
Rookie

Ford provides a Fix-A-Flat kind of container and an air pump to re-inflate the tire. The dealer shrugs their shoulders when I asked what do I do if I have a blow-out or a cut on the profile of the tire. So bought a spare. And yes, I picked up one of those cross lug wrenches with 4 different sizes. I love those things. Thanks!
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-31-2019
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Ford provides a Fix-A-Flat kind of container and an air pump to re-inflate the tire. The dealer shrugs their shoulders when I asked what do I do if I have a blow-out or a cut on the profile of the tire. So bought a spare. And yes, I picked up one of those cross lug wrenches with 4 different sizes. I love those things. Thanks!
It's all a "cost savings" from what they tell me. Although the MSRP's of these things shoots up by the 1,000's so not sure a spare tire isn't covered. haha Either way never used one and normally take it out anyway so no worries from me on not having it. Can't really use it on the rear as it will throw it out of wack from what I have been told...

Honestly hopefully more cars follow suite as it is always never racking for cars to be driving around on 1 or 2 or 3 or 4 spares endlessly going down the hwy at 70+MPH. hahaha

Current Garage
(11.)2012 GT500 silver with red stripe, SVT performance package, and Recaro seats.
2018 Honda Civic Type R
Past Mustangs in order and color of text.
(1.)2000, (2.)2004, (3.)2006GT/Auto traded for (4.)2006GT/Manual, (5.)1996, (6.)2011GT, (7.)2003GT, (8.)2006GT, (9)2013 Boss 302, and (10.) 2002GT
(I have owned a few non Mustang cars over the years as well, but always try to have a Mustang with it or come quickly back to a Mustang!)
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-31-2019
PONY Member

The other problem I see to not having a spare is that Discount Tire and other tire shops don't generally have some tires in stock and you could be waiting days to get a replacement.

post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-31-2019
Apprentice

Garage
Quote:
I had a right front flat on my Mustang. The sidewall was punctured in a road construction zone with a piece of rebar on the right edge of the road. It took two days to get a 20 inch Z rated radial. I had a mini spare from my old S197. I had to rotate the back tire to the front because the S197 spare wouldn't clear the front brakes. After that I purchased a 20 inch matching Mustang wheel from Ford. I had to use my full size spare less than two weeks after the flat, I was forced to go into a pothole on a blind curve due to oncoming traffic on the left and a utility pole on the right. It damaged the front inside sidewall. I'm glad I have a full size spare. The 2 day wait wasn't so bad this time, plus with the road hazard warranty I only paid $1 for the replacement tire.

2010 Kona Blue GT Premium traded in June 2016 for a 2016 Oxford White GT Premium with Ceramic interior. Automatic transmission, Sync3, p265/35r20 tires, Shaker audio system. Other vehicles 1964 Pontiac Catalina 389, 1972 Pontiac Lemans 400, 1967 Ford F-100 352, 2016 Ford F-350 Dually, 2003 Ford Crown Victoria LX.
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraig1957 View Post
. . . . I'm glad I have a full size spare. . . . .
does it fit in the well; or do I remember another thread where you mentioned that you keep it in the trunk "on top" ?

I have a full size spare for my 2010, I keep it in the well but it sticks out so the floor of my trunk has a big hump in it now. Not ideal, but better than not having one.

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day
post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-01-2019 Thread Starter
Rookie

I wanted to get a full sized spare, but no, it wouldn't fit in the well created for a spare...which begs the question: why did they provide a well for a spare - but don't include one with the car. In reality, I do know the answer: money.
PONY Member

The well is for a space saver spare that is offered as an option (except of performance package cars). You can get the Ford factory spare kit which includes the spare, jack, tire iron and hold down hardware from eBay for low $200s. Or, go to the junk yard and get it.

And yes it is a cost cutting thing and they can probably realize 0.0x improvement in mileage that helps the corporate average.

Dave
post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-01-2019 Thread Starter
Rookie

The jack rails that I was eyeing on the internet are 3 or 4 feet long, maybe 1.5 inches wide and 3/4 inches or so thick. One claim was that they also add some stiffness to the chassis. That sounds plausible. Anyone have any thoughts on that.
GLOBAL MODERATOR
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Mustang Rubi Rails. Jeep owners will get it.

----------------------------
2012 Mustang GT, Roush 2300 Black
2006 Mustang V6 Manual Legend Lime Sold
2019 Charger Scat Pack White
2016 Jeep Willys Silver Vin 060 GBNF
2016 Jeep Willys Silver Vin 059 Sold
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

yes I think the jacking rails do add some stiffness, generally any bar that you attach to the chassis will add some stiffness . . . but I don't think it is needed or noticeable because the S550 chassis is pretty stiff already

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page