Finally got my first mustang! - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-03-2019 Thread Starter
Rookie

Finally got my first mustang!

Hello all, after months of looking I finally purchased my first mustang. Found a 2015 gt premium with only 19,000 miles. By far the most expensive and newest car I have purchased.

It is an absolute blast to drive, very different than my previous car. I am coming from a little 5 cylinder turbo that I modded for quite awhile. But this thing is a completely different machine.

There are only two questions I have currently. There is a very slight squeak when turning the steering wheel that I did not noticed until I pulled it into the driveway. Only noticeable when not moving. Possibly the strut mounts?

My second question, there seems to be a paint chip on the hood but from some research it is some sort of corrosion on the metal, as it has some bubbles. Is there any good way to go about this? My first thought was just touch up paint.

Other than that I plan on taking it to ford to have a good look over and then just get used to the car. Not looking for any power adding mods yet. Probably just some appearance stuff, it is already tinted and has an axle back exhaust.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-03-2019
Administrator
Classic Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Welcome to the site & congratulations on your new ride! The hood corrosion issue is very common and there are a bunch of write ups on the forums, the squeaking might just be a bushing but I'm sure others will chime in shortly. Best of luck!

Beechkid likes this.

Engine mods - all stock, trust me, wanna run??!!!
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-04-2019
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Welcome to AFM!

Is you car still under warranty? Thinking maybe just powertrain, but if a late buy and still under bumper to bumper they may look at and fix the squeak. Either way sounds like a normalish noise I wouldn't be too concerned.

As far as the paint issues. It should still be covered under the corrosion warranty. There are lots of write ups on here about that as it has been a issue dating back to 2005 model cars and maybe even before. Some have luck under warranty some do not...
Beechkid likes this.

Current Garage
(11.)2012 GT500 silver with red stripe, SVT performance package, and Recaro seats.
2018 Honda Civic Type R
Past Mustangs in order and color of text.
(1.)2000, (2.)2004, (3.)2006GT/Auto traded for (4.)2006GT/Manual, (5.)1996, (6.)2011GT, (7.)2003GT, (8.)2006GT, (9)2013 Boss 302, and (10.) 2002GT
(I have owned a few non Mustang cars over the years as well, but always try to have a Mustang with it or come quickly back to a Mustang!)

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-04-2019
PONY Member

Be careful with getting the hood fixed a lot of people complain that it gets worse after the repair. I might look into wrapping the hood until I could get what I want
jdrevdahl01 likes this.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-04-2019 Thread Starter
Rookie

Thanks for the insight guys! I'm gonna try and contact the dealer and see what they say. Never had a vehicle with warranties so still figuring this all out. I did hear the squeak while I was at low speed in the parking lot earlier, just hoping the dealer would be able to fix that.

The corrosion isn't too bad yet, but still bothers me. If I can't get them to fix it might just use some touch up paint then look into a new hood or something in the future.

All that aside, I can't believe how fun these are to drive! The handling really surprises me! I'm guessing the power pack has something to do with that.

post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago
Apprentice

Hello congrats on your mustang. I am sure the dealer will take a look for you. Have fun with it, very nice car you have
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
Rookie

Just wondering. What tires do u guys like to run? It has the stock (I think) pirelli p zero 275/40/19 on the rear. It definitely has trouble gaining grip in low gears. Looking for something with good grip but nothing with a crazy low tread wear rating. These dont seem to have that great of grip. I'm willing to go wider as well if I can. I think I read 305 or 315s would fit. Not sure If they would fit on those trims tho.

post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago
Rookie

Garage
nice car! some blacked out enblems would look really good on it too! The Michelin pilot sport tires have good stick to the road and are very practical for daily driving imo
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago
Rookie

Welcome to the club. I just joined this summer as well.

My 2019 GT PPL2 came with Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 tires. Really sticky and fun to drive, but wear quickly. I'm in the process of switching to Michelin Pilot Sport 4S for regular street driving. Cup 2s will be saved for the track.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 19GTPPL2 View Post
Welcome to the club. I just joined this summer as well.

My 2019 GT PPL2 came with Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 tires. Really sticky and fun to drive, but wear quickly. I'm in the process of switching to Michelin Pilot Sport 4S for regular street driving. Cup 2s will be saved for the track.
The Michelin Pilot Sport 4S is an awesome tire. I replaced the stock tires on my Type R with them when the stock tires much like like the Cup 2 wore out. I am not disappointed and they are awesome grip. My plan is to put them on my GT500 as well when the current tires wear out.

Current Garage
(11.)2012 GT500 silver with red stripe, SVT performance package, and Recaro seats.
2018 Honda Civic Type R
Past Mustangs in order and color of text.
(1.)2000, (2.)2004, (3.)2006GT/Auto traded for (4.)2006GT/Manual, (5.)1996, (6.)2011GT, (7.)2003GT, (8.)2006GT, (9)2013 Boss 302, and (10.) 2002GT
(I have owned a few non Mustang cars over the years as well, but always try to have a Mustang with it or come quickly back to a Mustang!)
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
Rookie

I will check out the pilot sport 4s! I was also told to look into nittos but I am not sure which kind they were referring too. I live in South Carolina so I think summer tires would be fine year round correct ?

I really hate these stock tires. I can't even come close to full throttle in first gear. Second is not very good either

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 3 Weeks Ago
Rookie

Sharp ride. Good luck with it. I thought Ford fixed the aluminum hood corrosion issue from 2015-up. I have a 2014 that is still covered under Ford's Premium Care plan. It's a pretty comprehensive plan. I took it to the dealer for the hood cancer last month and they told me it wasn't covered. I hit two other dealerships and they told me the same thing. Paint/corrosion was not covered. Other peoples experiences haven't been too positive. The local body shop will do it for $600. They said there is a procedure, amongst body professionals, that addresses the issue with that corrosion.

As far as the squeak... turn up the radio, till the squeak turns into a thump. Then its time to fix it. lol

2014 GT Coupe Base manual, 3:55
JLT CAI, Custom Tune, Eibach Sportline springs
Whiteline LCA & Panhard Bar
Staggered Firestone Indy 500
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedknot View Post
Sharp ride. Good luck with it. I thought Ford fixed the aluminum hood corrosion issue from 2015-up. I have a 2014 that is still covered under Ford's Premium Care plan. It's a pretty comprehensive plan. I took it to the dealer for the hood cancer last month and they told me it wasn't covered. I hit two other dealerships and they told me the same thing. Paint/corrosion was not covered. Other peoples experiences haven't been too positive. The local body shop will do it for $600. They said there is a procedure, amongst body professionals, that addresses the issue with that corrosion.

As far as the squeak... turn up the radio, till the squeak turns into a thump. Then its time to fix it. lol
Apparently not! It seems like others are still having this issue too. Unfortunate you can't get your fixed under warranty. I'll try but I dont expect much.

I went to the dealership the other day just to get my brakes checked and the guy told me that squeak is most likely this bearing sort of thing next to the airbag on the steering column. Doesnt seems like a problem really.

post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 3 Weeks Ago
Rookie

Now that you mention it, I have a small squeak at the steering column. It's hardly noticeable, but it sounds like a plastics thing. Nothing critical.

2014 GT Coupe Base manual, 3:55
JLT CAI, Custom Tune, Eibach Sportline springs
Whiteline LCA & Panhard Bar
Staggered Firestone Indy 500
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedknot View Post
Now that you mention it, I have a small squeak at the steering column. It's hardly noticeable, but it sounds like a plastics thing. Nothing critical.
Yep. Sometimes it annoys me. Sometimes I just forget about it

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page