• 1 Post By Jackson3010
  • 2 Post By Tenbrooks
  • 1 Post By Beechkid
  • 1 Post By JBert

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter
Rookie

OEM Air Filter - Oiled v. Dry?

I'll soon be replacing the stock Motorcraft air filter on my '19 GT Premium 5.0L. Not ready yet to make a wholesale conversion to a cold air intake so I'll just be replacing the OEM Motorcraft with either a K&N or most likely an aFe filter. Question is to go oiled or dry - thoughts? What drop-in filters are you guys/gals using?

Bryce K.
Magnolia, TX
2019 Mustang GT
PP1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 1 Week Ago
BOSS Member

dry...………….

A Ford MasterTech made this videowhich talks directly about the aftermarket CAI’s.

Now please forgive, but a bit of the "Dutch Uncle" talking now..... you already have a CAI......
Ok, let's just take a look at basic physics.....
The2013 Mustang 5.0 V8, for example if close to stock (assuming 6,800 max rpm& 90% volumetric efficiency- note that is race car spec and likely higherthan reality) can only suck in a maximum of 535 CFM, and the OEM flat panel filter ( 12.375” x 9.675”) will flow 718cfm,

....so how can just a CAI force more air into an engine thatis already injesting everything it can? It can't plan & simple- basic lawsof physics without a forced induction system.

Testand Corporation conducted an ISO standards test onautomotive air filters which can be viewed at this link: Duramax Air FilterTesting * - Diesel Bombers.
“After only 24 minutes the K&N had accumulated 221gms ofdirt but passed 7.0gms. Compared to the AC, the K&N “plugged up” nearly 3times faster, passed 18 times more dirt and captured 37% less dirt.”
If you look at the flow data, WIX HP filters flow 98+% ofK&N and have a much smoother flow post filter plus excellent filtering, fora fraction of the price! on an OEM replacement unit.

I know...science and real data by an ISO certified testfacility.

The formula which is used by every air filter manufacturerin the world to determine the CFM for flat panel filters is...

Flat Panel CM= Length x Width x 6

So, take you relatively stock engine, calc the max CFM basedupon mfg specs; calc the max CFM the oem filter will flow....now show me howsticking a filter that will flow 900 CFM will increase the performance of anengine that can only suck in a max of 535 cfm? it can't

bad math, no science...all PR materials for the sticker hpcrowd! If you are looking for bling- ok, but otherwise save your $

Grimbrand likes this.

:hello:
Member: Never trust a person over 40 who drives a Chevy club
Flatheads ain't so bad!
Certified backyard mechanic I & II
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 1 Week Ago
GT Member
Classic Member
5.0L Member

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Grimbrand
A lot of the cold air intakes actually do worse than stock, AND make more noise to boot.
Beechkid likes this.

I smile a lot. It makes people wonder what I'm up to...

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 1 Week Ago
GLOBAL MODERATOR
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenbrooks View Post
I'll soon be replacing the stock Motorcraft air filter on my '19 GT Premium 5.0L. Not ready yet to make a wholesale conversion to a cold air intake so I'll just be replacing the OEM Motorcraft with either a K&N or most likely an aFe filter. Question is to go oiled or dry - thoughts? What drop-in filters are you guys/gals using?
Bryce,

I can think of one benefit to an oiled air filter. They say they last a million miles. Personally I've never owned a vehicle beyond 150,000 miles and never met anyone that has a oiler with a million miles on it.

IMHO there are more reasons to avoid oiled air filters. Cost of the filter and costly renew kits. The amount of time to clean and dry it before you can oil it and reinstall it. Over oiling the filter causes contamination to downstream sensors.

Its claimed oilers breath better and you get more power. Logically thinking its when the accelerator is planted to the floor. That's not my normal driving habit.

I had one car with a K&N wet filter and eventually reinstalled the factory air box and dry filter. Stay with a dry filter.

Even my 2012 with the R2300 uses a high flow air box with dry filter.

Erik
Beechkid likes this.

----------------------------
2019 Charger Scat Pack White
2012 Mustang GT, Roush 2300 Black
2006 Mustang V6 Manual Legend Lime Sold
2016 Jeep Willys Silver Vin 060 RIP
2016 Jeep Willys Silver Vin 059 Sold
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 1 Week Ago
PONY Member

Grimbrand is absolutely right. Don’t waste your time or money
Beechkid likes this.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 6 Days Ago
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

just echoing what the others have said -- for the stock airbox I'd stay with stock or equivalent dry filter and replace it on schedule (or sooner)

whether there is any gain to be had with aftermarket intake is a different debate . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechkid View Post

....so how can just a CAI force more air into an engine thatis already injesting everything it can? It can't plan & simple- basic lawsof physics without a forced induction system.

...now show me howsticking a filter that will flow 900 CFM will increase the performance of anengine that can only suck in a max of 535 cfm? it can't . . . bad math,

yep, that is some bad math -- because it ignores the pressure drop through the system, which is the key factor in an intake because atmospheric pressure less the pressure drop through the intake is what pushes the air/fuel mix into the cylinders

that standardized flow test is based on some define pressure drop . . . if the aftermarket filter can flow the same amount of air with less pressure drop, theoretically it will result in more air/fuel mix in the cylinders and more power

an engine never "ingests all that it can" because that is dependent on the pressure through the system; that's why superchargers add power -- because they push more air/fuel mix into the cylinders; effectively increasing the amount of air/fuel mix that the engine can ingest -- a better flowing intake works on the same principle, only much less dramatic because the difference is much smaller

anyway for practical purposes the stock intake is very good and there probably is very little gain to be had with aftermarket intakes, but theoretically it is possible

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 6 Days Ago Thread Starter
Rookie

Thanks to all those who responded. I don't plan to change the OEM airbox to an aftermarket CAI. You've confirmed what I already was thinking - and that was to stay with a dry filter and just replace it when it's dirty.
huberoy123 and Grimbrand like this.

Bryce K.
Magnolia, TX
2019 Mustang GT
PP1
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 6 Days Ago
BOSS Member

yep, that is some bad math -- because it ignores the pressure drop through the system
[/QUOTE]

Not exactly, since there is no pressure drop in the oem intake system except at very low speed. What many view as an issue (is the plasticintake tube with its noise canceling design) actually increases airpressure. It is the same hydraulicconcept used by fire fighters creating water supply where psi is low. By havingthe air cross the path at a 90 degree angle, the pressure is increasedproportionally. Fire fighters use whatis called a “4-way valve” or “Blake Valve” at the hydrant where the water iscycled through the fire engine (pump) and sent back into the valve crossing thewater flow at a 90 degree angle. In thiscase it also acts as a sound canceling device! At low speeds, this can reduce the flow a tad (which is what most“feel”), but in terms of peak hp/tq, a good high flow filter is all that isneeded.

When I conducted a very crude, old school barometric pressure test to see where the highest pressure/air flow direction was at key speeds, I was very surprised to discover/ID the best air intake location for my Mark LT was just above the fan scroud...and the gains were only at 50mph+..... figuring Ford spent likely $1m designing the air intake systems I figured I might as well "leverage' their design...keeping the oem intake "box', I made an old school hemi-type ram air intake which connects to their box

and you are very right about the bad math out there....if a street engine can achieve 85-90% VE efficiency, they are lucky!
JBert likes this.

:hello:
Member: Never trust a person over 40 who drives a Chevy club
Flatheads ain't so bad!
Certified backyard mechanic I & II
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 19 Hours Ago
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechkid View Post
....if a street engine can achieve 85-90% VE efficiency, they are lucky!
that's the technical term I was looking for: Volumetric Efficiency

Theoretically, a freer flowing air filter and intake can achieve higher volumetric efficiency, that is the point . . . the filter that "flows more air" at a given pressure drop (per that standard test), will flow the same amount of air with less pressure drop, leaving more pressure in the intake to push the air/fuel into the cylinders to achieve higher VE . . . lots of other dynamic affects going on also which makes it a lot more complicated than that, but that is the simplified view
Beechkid likes this.

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 13 Hours Ago
PONY Member

Do you realize that the question was oiled or dry. That’s all, everyone got a little off coarse
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 12 Hours Ago
GLOBAL MODERATOR
5.0L Member
S197 Member

I still give the thread 3 out of 4 stars.

----------------------------
2019 Charger Scat Pack White
2012 Mustang GT, Roush 2300 Black
2006 Mustang V6 Manual Legend Lime Sold
2016 Jeep Willys Silver Vin 060 RIP
2016 Jeep Willys Silver Vin 059 Sold
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson3010 View Post
Do you realize that the question was oiled or dry. That’s all, everyone got a little off coarse
the short answer would have been way too short, then what would we talk about? LOL

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page