Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By preacherman

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-10-2016 Thread Starter
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Sport Mode

Does putting the car into the Sport Mode with the toggle switch do the same thing as pulling the shift lever back into the Sport Mode? Thanks in advance.

2020 GT/PP - Previous GTs (2000 - 2005 - 2012 - 2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-10-2016
Apprentice

I don't believe so. The S on automatics indicates that you can manually shift via the paddle shifters (I think, I have a 6MT). The Sport Mode changes the driving characteristics of the car, increasing throttle responsiveness, changing traction control and stability control parameters, and probably firming up the shift points on the AT models.

JR

2016 Race Red GT Premium Fastback - Performance Package, Navigation, Enhanced Security Package, Ebony Premier Trim
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-10-2016 Thread Starter
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacknifetoaswan View Post
I don't believe so. The S on automatics indicates that you can manually shift via the paddle shifters (I think, I have a 6MT). The Sport Mode changes the driving characteristics of the car, increasing throttle responsiveness, changing traction control and stability control parameters, and probably firming up the shift points on the AT models.

JR

I don't think that is quite right. If I pull the shifter back into S the shift points are more aggressive both up and down. You can use the paddles in any mode. Since I don't have 1,000 miles on the engine yet I haven't tried any WOT stuff - need to change the oil. I come from a long line of MTs and all of this automatic options stuff is a little hard to get your head around. Thanks for the reply.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-16-2016 Thread Starter
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Come on guys - we all have this toggle switch. Isn't there someone out there that can answer my question?

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-16-2016
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Garage
I wish I could help have you. Havechecked the owners manual. I've only got 2500 miles on mind and to be honest I dont know. I do know that when you take the traction control off and hit the gas the rear tires catch fire.
chriswolf63 likes this.

Preacherman
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-16-2016 Thread Starter
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by preacherman View Post
I wish I could help have you. Havechecked the owners manual. I've only got 2500 miles on mind and to be honest I dont know. I do know that when you take the traction control off and hit the gas the rear tires catch fire.

I'm hitting 1,000 miles tomorrow and having the oil changed then I'm going to drop the hammer. The tach hasn't been north of 4K yet. My last one I drove like had stole it from day one and it ended up using a little oil. I read the manual but it is really vague on this issue. Someone knows so speak up! Thanks for the reply.

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-16-2016 Thread Starter
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

For anyone that is interested this is the response I got from the Ford service manager:

Steve says it is different...the Sport + mode does raise the shift points, enables rev matching and makes the stability and traction control less sensitive and better suited to drifting. The S spot on the shifter also raises the shift points and enables manual shifting via the paddles.

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-16-2016
GT Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Harvey,

I just looked at the 2016 Manual online. The toggle lets you switch into Sport Mode, Sport +, and Track. Putting it into S mode on the shifter gets you into Sport Mode only without having to toggle through the different modes. That's how I read it anyway. I think you can use the paddles in Normal Drive mode too. The difference is the performance settings withe the toggle switch.

Pete

2014 Shelby GT500:Delivered 4/3/13, Black/Black stripes/Black interior, SVT Track Package, SVT Performance Package, JLT Oil Seperator, FRPP Resonator Delete, Syntha Max blue air filter, Revan Racing shifter bushing, Michelin PSS tires, Lloyd GT500 mats, and yes the stock Shelby seats.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-16-2016
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by harveyshepherd View Post
I'm hitting 1,000 miles tomorrow and having the oil changed then I'm going to drop the hammer. The tach hasn't been north of 4K yet. My last one I drove like had stole it from day one and it ended up using a little oil. I read the manual but it is really vague on this issue. Someone knows so speak up! Thanks for the reply.
Sounds like you got your answer. I was going to get my girl out this weekend and to some testing

Preacherman
GT Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Harvey,

you know that I'm bored when I'm looking up stuff for you! The GT500 will be in the garage until around April. It was about 37 degrees here today. 50 degrees warmer than this past Sunday (-14). So I have to fill my time up with something so I tried my best to get you the information.

BTW congratulations on the new car!

Pete

2014 Shelby GT500:Delivered 4/3/13, Black/Black stripes/Black interior, SVT Track Package, SVT Performance Package, JLT Oil Seperator, FRPP Resonator Delete, Syntha Max blue air filter, Revan Racing shifter bushing, Michelin PSS tires, Lloyd GT500 mats, and yes the stock Shelby seats.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-18-2016 Thread Starter
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Grimaldi View Post
Harvey,

you know that I'm bored when I'm looking up stuff for you! The GT500 will be in the garage until around April. It was about 37 degrees here today. 50 degrees warmer than this past Sunday (-14). So I have to fill my time up with something so I tried my best to get you the information.

BTW congratulations on the new car!

Pete

I reached 1,000 miles yesterday and changed the oil. Then I went out and tried some WOT runs and all the different settings. All I can say is that it was FUN. (-14)? That's inhumane. Thanks for the reply.

PONY Member

My experience with my 2015 GT is that the S selection on the shifter requires that the paddles be used for up shifts. I find that the Sports toggle still shifts auto but the car is more responsive and uses engine braking and rev matching, What I don't like about the toggle selection is the shift points are raised too high. Driving around stuck in 3rd with the engine revving 2500+ rpm is not cool. Gas is expensive and driving in 3rd gear under 40 mph is dumb. I wonder if BAMA could fix this?

2015 Mustang GT 50 Year Anniversary, Ruby Red coupe. Staggered fit 19 inch wheels from American Muscle. Front tires are Sumitomo 245/45 19, rears are Sumitomo 275/40 19. Sound tube deleted, resonator deleted, replaced with h-pipe, Bama tune, custom sub woofer with Rockford Fosgate P3D4 10 inch subwoofer driven by and Alpine MRV 500M mono power amp. Replaced Sync 2 with Sync 3.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-24-2016 Thread Starter
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbird View Post
My experience with my 2015 GT is that the S selection on the shifter requires that the paddles be used for up shifts. I find that the Sports toggle still shifts auto but the car is more responsive and uses engine braking and rev matching, What I don't like about the toggle selection is the shift points are raised too high. Driving around stuck in 3rd with the engine revving 2500+ rpm is not cool. Gas is expensive and driving in 3rd gear under 40 mph is dumb. I wonder if BAMA could fix this?
I agree - it only makes sense to toggle into the SPORT MODE is if you have the opportunity to drive aggressively. But it is fun

Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbird View Post
If you are casually driving around under 40 mph why have it in Sport+ mode?
PONY Member

Cause I like it, any other questions?

2015 Mustang GT 50 Year Anniversary, Ruby Red coupe. Staggered fit 19 inch wheels from American Muscle. Front tires are Sumitomo 245/45 19, rears are Sumitomo 275/40 19. Sound tube deleted, resonator deleted, replaced with h-pipe, Bama tune, custom sub woofer with Rockford Fosgate P3D4 10 inch subwoofer driven by and Alpine MRV 500M mono power amp. Replaced Sync 2 with Sync 3.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page