Previous owner's dumb aftermarket radio. - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-10-2018 Thread Starter
Rookie

Garage
Previous owner's dumb aftermarket radio.

I did a quick search to see if I could find a situation similar to the one I'm dealing with and didn't turn anything up, that said, if this is a topic that has been beaten to death already bear with me!
Just bought this 2017 Mustang GT and when I was looking at it, noticed it had the big 8 inch touchscreen display, and was a base model. Didn't think anything of it other than, "Ooh! Bonus!" So I got the car home and that first night tinkering with it- within 5 minutes I could tell this was not a stock radio unit and had a lot of issues. Funny thing is, I would have been completely okay with the stock 4 inch unit. I can't stand poorly done cheap-ass mods and that's all this car came with.

The best I can tell, the previous owner installed this pile-

https://www.amazon.com/Mustang-Navig.../dp/B078PCD9ZG

The biggest issues, extremely outdated GPS database, does not keep system time correctly and will unexpectedly change the clock time during driving (wtf). Does not integrate correctly with many of the car's systems, including the backup camera which DOES work, but the picture is very poor.

Anyhow, after a little research, I came across this unit which -should- work with my car.

https://www.infotainment.com/collect...=5138453004324

Bit on the high side of price but according to ford, that's almost an equal cost to revert my radio back to the stock unit assuming they did not remove the SYNC unit, which, let's be honest, they probably did. (ugh)

I've watched a few of their videos and installation instructions and I'm sold. Seems like a way out of this crap radio fiasco I've found myself in.

My question is, has anyone had experience with this company and their product? Is this an okay choice? Thanks dudes. Looking forward to hearing from you.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-11-2018
PONY Member

I’m not 100% sure but I think that is a stock refurbished ford stereo

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-11-2018 Thread Starter
Rookie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson3010 View Post
Im not 100% sure but I think that is a stock refurbished ford stereo
I had that thought too! This was right after two Ford dealerships told me it's impossible to upgrade a stock 4 inch display to an 8 inch with SYNC, so believing them I assumed this was some aftermarket trickery. Anyhow if that's the case then this is exactly what I want and need.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-30-2018
Rookie

I bought the same unit that your car came with. I regret it now because after 14 months it quit working all together. Mine had all the same issues you speak of as well. Your car does still have the sync installed. The unit you have is an addition that works with some factory parts. The unfortunate part is i doubt they included the parts you need to revert back to stock. Sorry man.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page