2016 GT Need Advice! - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-23-2018 Thread Starter
Rookie

2016 GT Need Advice!

Hi all,

I recently purchased a used 2016 Mustang GT 5.0 last night with 16k miles and one owner. When I was looking at the car I saw that the exhaust was not stock (Borla Cat-back) and so I checked under the hood and saw a JLT CAI. Not thinking anything of it, I proceeded on a 20 minute test drive and everything seemed to be normal. I went ahead and purchased the car, and drove home about 35 miles away without any issues.

After looking up the JLT CAI in my mustang (JLT-CK1517-18) I noticed that JLT does not make any CAI's that do NOT require a tune, which they sell. Now, since this car is used, and I wasn't able to find any tuner in the vehicle, I am a little nervous about driving it since I have no idea if the previous owner tuned it or not. I understand that not tuning it with a CAI like this one can cause the engine to run very lean and cause serious damage. I'm a little apprehensive to drive it any further to say the least.

My question to you all is, do you know of any sure fire way to see if it has been tuned?

Should I just be safe and pop the stock intake back in or would that also cause problems if it was tuned?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-24-2018
Rookie

Garage
2016 GT Need Advice

A lot of tunes just plug n play, driving lean short term won’t hurt, Just don’t get rambunctious. Find a motor shop and go get someone to take a look, call JTL and ask questions, but I wouldn’t take it off. I would just learn about it and what you need to do. GL!

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-24-2018
PONY Member

Garage
Where did you purchase it? Go to the source and tell them your concerns. They may be able to give you the information that you need.

2006 GT, Strut Tower Brace, Gas Hood Struts, FR Intake Plenum cover, Metal Fuse Box cover, Moroso brake reservoir cover, Rear shock tower brace, Front Bumper Lip Spoiler, JVC DVD Head unit w/ back-up camera, satellite Radio and USB input, 2 - 12" sub-woofers, 4 - 6"x8" speakers, 2 - 6.5" speakers to replace the door subs, 3 amplifiers, LED lights under the hood and in the trunk, chrome e-handle on parking brake handle, chrome cup holder trim, and trunk lid cover with running pony emblem.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-24-2018
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tehdood View Post
. . . My question to you all is, do you know of any sure fire way to see if it has been tuned?

Should I just be safe and pop the stock intake back in or would that also cause problems if it was tuned?
I think it is safe to assume that it has been tuned, otherwise it probably would be throwing lean codes.

Two ways to tell for sure:
1) ask the prior owner (good luck with that)
2) have a Ford dealer check the CPU . . . they will charge about $100 for this, and they won't be able to tell you what adjustments were made in the tune, only that the ECU has been reflashed

Unfortunately this happens often, and it is bad behavior on behalf of both the prior owner and the dealer. The prior owner should have been more up front with the dealer about the tune, and provided the hand-held tuner with the car. The dealer should have noticed the modification and asked about it, and then handed that information on to you. Unfortunately these days very few people care about anyone but themselves, and each of them got their money and then they were done.

If you put in the stock intake with the adjusted tune, it will run rich. If it is running fine, I think you can leave it alone.

The reason that the JLT intake requires a tune, is that the MAF metering section tube is larger diameter than the stock tube. This throws off the Mass Air Flow sensor readings, and the tune needs to be adjusted to "recallibrate" it. If you change the tube diameter back to stock without recallibrating it again, it will be off in the other direction.

You should probably assume that it was tuned for 93 octane, and run 93 octane gas. I assume the dealer didn't tell you about that either.

This will also present a problem if you want to install future tunes, because you don't know what you already have. Any new tune "should" be installed on top of a known factory tune. One way to solve this, is to go back to stock; have a dealer install a stock tune; and start over. Also some tune writers might be able to get it straightened out for you.

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-24-2018 Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBert View Post
I think it is safe to assume that it has been tuned, otherwise it probably would be throwing lean codes.

Two ways to tell for sure:
1) ask the prior owner (good luck with that)
2) have a Ford dealer check the CPU . . . they will charge about $100 for this, and they won't be able to tell you what adjustments were made in the tune, only that the ECU has been reflashed

Unfortunately this happens often, and it is bad behavior on behalf of both the prior owner and the dealer. The prior owner should have been more up front with the dealer about the tune, and provided the hand-held tuner with the car. The dealer should have noticed the modification and asked about it, and then handed that information on to you. Unfortunately these days very few people care about anyone but themselves, and each of them got their money and then they were done.

If you put in the stock intake with the adjusted tune, it will run rich. If it is running fine, I think you can leave it alone.

The reason that the JLT intake requires a tune, is that the MAF metering section tube is larger diameter than the stock tube. This throws off the Mass Air Flow sensor readings, and the tune needs to be adjusted to "recallibrate" it. If you change the tube diameter back to stock without recallibrating it again, it will be off in the other direction.

You should probably assume that it was tuned for 93 octane, and run 93 octane gas. I assume the dealer didn't tell you about that either.

This will also present a problem if you want to install future tunes, because you don't know what you already have. Any new tune "should" be installed on top of a known factory tune. One way to solve this, is to go back to stock; have a dealer install a stock tune; and start over. Also some tune writers might be able to get it straightened out for you.
First, thanks for the information everyone gave me.

Fortunately, I was able to locate the previous and only other owner this morning. The car has been tuned, has the JLT CAI and a Full Exhaust System (Borla ATAK), not the cat-back. The tuning was done by Edge Autosport here in Denver. From what I do know about them, they are a highly sought after tuning shop here in Denver and are usually booked out 2-3 months at a time. I'm in contact with Shaun at AED in California so I'll be purchasing a new SCT tuner and having them write me a new tune just to make sure everything continues to run well.

Previous owner said the tune they did was pretty conservative and meant primarily to make the CAI and exhaust run well. He said it was putting down about 410hp to the wheels.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page