Tire Help Please! - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By JBert

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-16-2018 Thread Starter
Rookie

Tire Help Please!

Guys, I have to order new meat TODAY.
I have a stock GT Premium with 19's. Factory tires all around 255/40.
After a discussion with the tech at discount tire, he stated the widest tire his computer shows is a 285/35/ for the rear of my car. Anything larger than that states "test fit" and since I am ordering, I can't do that.

Current order:
Front 255/40 stock size
Rear 285/35 (hoped I could go a tad wider)

Does anyone have experience with a wider tire on this factory 19" rim?

Thanks,

THC

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-16-2018
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

That tire guy apparently has not taken Tires 101, do not believe anything he tells you.

The correct width of the tire is limited by the width of the wheel. So you need to know the width of the wheel, before you pick the size of the tires to go on it. The width should be marked on the back of the wheel. I am not sure about your wheels, but guessing based on the stock tire size, they are probably 9" wide.

Knowing the wheel width, next you check the tire manufacturer's recommendations for the tires. I don't think any tire manufacturer will recommend a 285 tire on a 9" wheel. You can look this up on Tire Rack. The specs can vary a little across different makes and models; below is link to one example; minimum rim width for 285/35-19 is 9.5" (check the "specs" tab if it does not come up from the link)

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...omCompare1=yes

You can ignore the manufacturer's specs if you want, but you will just be paying more for wider tires and you won't get the performance from them that you are paying for. You are better off sticking with the "measuring width" wheel, meaning select a narrower tire so that the "measuring width" matches your wheels. The measuring width for the 285/35-19 is 10"; meaning 10" (or wider) wheels would be good for those tires.

Beechkid likes this.

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-16-2018 Thread Starter
Rookie

Thanks for the reply. Heck he was using some software in the system that did show the stock wheels are 9". Once he ask for the available tire sizes, it was green down to the 285 and then everything beyond that was red meaning they don't fit. Now I'm bummed all over again wanting to go a little wider.

THC

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-16-2018
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

it is possible that the wheels are 9.5" ; if so then 285 is probably on the high side of recommended range . . . you could ask them what they are showing for wheel width

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-16-2018 Thread Starter
Rookie

Will do - thanks
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-19-2018
Rookie

Garage
Send a message via AIM to goren813 Send a message via MSN to goren813 Send a message via Yahoo to goren813
Factory GT premium wheels are 9". 285 is pushing it in a bad way on that width rim. For comparison, the performance package wheel is 9.5" in the rear. I just ordered a pair of NITTO 555 G2's and the most narrow rim they list for the 285/35/19 is 9.5". Other tire manufacturers may be different, but generally speaking I wouldn't go wider than 275 on a 9" wheel.

"Fast she goes, in the city of Overdose."
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-19-2018
GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
The 285's actually require at least a 10" wheel, the tire is 11.2" wide.. Your speedo will be off a tad as well
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.PNG
Views:	33
Size:	171.5 KB
ID:	606989  

2014 GT Premium, Track Pack, Barton shifter, Borla S-type exhaust, Resonator delete, 3.73 gears, Airaid C.A.I., 93 Race Tune, JLT Oil Separator
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-28-2018
Rookie

Garage
Send a message via AIM to goren813 Send a message via MSN to goren813 Send a message via Yahoo to goren813
^Not according to Nitto. I'll trust the manufacturer rec. I have them on the car and have no issues. Certainly would not go any wider on a 9.5" wheel. Any difference in speedo reading would be negligible. Sidewall height is actually a ratio to width, not a straight apples to apples measurement.

"Fast she goes, in the city of Overdose."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page