Traction? How Are Others Getting Power to Pavement? - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree4Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-16-2019 Thread Starter
Rookie
 
djl45's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2015
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 37
 
Traction? How Are Others Getting Power to Pavement?

Seriously, what good is it to have 400+HP if you can't get it to the road surface? Back in the day, I ran side soft tires, cheater slicks when I wasn't sure of the outcome and traction bars on my '65 Chevelle but new to the SS550 Mustang. My '15 GT breaks the tires loose all the way through third gear and has scared me on more than on occasion. It has been about a month since the last scare. I did not expect the car to get sideways in third gear at a high rate of speed and in the wrong place to get sideways; I still can't get out of my head what would have happened had I not gotten the car under control. An experience I have no intention of repeating. I am curious what others are doing to maximize transfer of power to the roadway. I don't know much about the OEM/Pirelli tires but they seem to be severely lacking in this area. I have been considering the addition of the Rousch super charger later this year but if I can't get 435HP to the ground, what am I going to do with 670HP?

djl45 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-16-2019
PONY Member
 
Old Goat Ninja's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2017
Location: Manteca, Ca
Posts: 759
 
My car came with 235 tires stock, which isn't enough, at all. I have 285's now, and getting traction is MUCH better. When these are done though, I'll probably get new wheels and tires, again, and go with a 305 out back.


2014 Mustang GT Premium 401a; "Now you can add Premium to your signature." - Thereaper
Old Goat Ninja is offline  
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-16-2019
PONY Member
 
2012bigredstang's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2015
Location: Hamilton
Posts: 401
 
Garage
the factory tires are week
try Michelin sport 4s
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20160603-00285 (1).jpg
Views:	43
Size:	373.1 KB
ID:	607955  

GO BIG OR GO HOME
5.0 coyote
BBK cold air intake
SCT tuner with 91 tune
roush axle back
Go BILLS

91 tune
2012bigredstang is offline  
 
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-16-2019
Rookie
 
nago7650's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2018
Posts: 5
 
Garage
I had the Pirellis with my '17 GT PP, and they were awful unless I THOROUGHLY warmed them up. That meant I could pretty much kiss winter and wet traction goodbye. I swapped them out for Continental Extreme Contact DWS06 high performance all season tires, and they are much more consistent with grip throughout various temperature ranges.
nago7650 is offline  
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019
PONY Member
 
Jackson3010's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2014
Location: Brawley
Posts: 635
 
OK first of all keep the traction control on it may sound stupid or pansy but during daily driving it’s really going to save your ass. Presently I run 305/35/19 Nitto NT 555 G2 and I can spin them on command anywhere between 0-50or60. I have used Perelli’s,I have used Michelin,have used nitto,have used falcon, used good year. They all have the same result. The only time you’ll get traction is when the tires are good and hot and if you have bad weather forget about traction at all. You can go with wider rims and tires. you can do some suspension upgrades. There’s a few things that you can do to help but being that you cannot predict the condition of every road You need to drive defensively. I’ve never had a problem keeping my tires from spinning. They only spin when I tell them to. I feel as though 90% of drivers out there don’t need,know how to handle,or are responsible enough for 400+ horsepower so when you get 600 700 800 horse power then you really got a problem. Being a good driver doesn’t just mean you can smash the gas and slide around the corner and bring it back. It also means knowing when not to
Jackson3010 is offline  
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019
Apprentice
 
cjjohn11's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Location: Louisville
Posts: 85
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by djl45 View Post
Seriously, what good is it to have 400+HP if you can't get it to the road surface? Back in the day, I ran side soft tires, cheater slicks when I wasn't sure of the outcome and traction bars on my '65 Chevelle but new to the SS550 Mustang. My '15 GT breaks the tires loose all the way through third gear and has scared me on more than on occasion. It has been about a month since the last scare. I did not expect the car to get sideways in third gear at a high rate of speed and in the wrong place to get sideways; I still can't get out of my head what would have happened had I not gotten the car under control. An experience I have no intention of repeating. I am curious what others are doing to maximize transfer of power to the roadway. I don't know much about the OEM/Pirelli tires but they seem to be severely lacking in this area. I have been considering the addition of the Rousch super charger later this year but if I can't get 435HP to the ground, what am I going to do with 670HP?
If you have traction control off, you can't find/fit a wide enough street tire to prevent traction loss if you go full throttle from a stop. Different story if you are at a strip. If you have the Pirelli all-season tires, simply switching to a summer tire in the same size would probably help a lot of the issues in 3rd gear. That being said, still a lot of variables like temperature and tire pressure that will affect your results.

Since you mentioned supercharging, I'll give you my experience. I have ~700 HP with 295 Nitto Invos, and if its 80+ degrees on a sunny afternoon, I can usually get traction at full throttle from 40 MPH and up. I run 31 PSI in the rears.

2018 GT Base | Black | Auto | Roush Phase 1 Supercharger | Roush Triple Adjustable Coilovers | Forgestar 19X10, 19X11 wheels
cjjohn11 is offline  
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019
Rookie
 
ronin5.0's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2019
Location: Boulder
Posts: 4
 
The best mod to keep yourself on the road and losing traction at the wrong time is of course common sense. I have the 235 Pirelli's with a Roush Stage 1 and it will spin in dang near any gear. My next step is 285/255 (19's) but that will only help, not eliminate slippage. The hoot is knowing just where you are at and how much the car will take. I personally have never had this much HP before so I'm on a slow learning curve. Also what helps is there are wide roads in nearby construction areas. Essentially a drag strip where I can experiment with no risk to anyone else. One big difference I noticed is the performance between normal, sport and track. You might play with that but "normal" seems to nanny the most of course.
ronin5.0 is offline  
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019
PONY Member
 
Old Goat Ninja's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2017
Location: Manteca, Ca
Posts: 759
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronin5.0 View Post
My next step is 285/255 (19's) but that will only help, not eliminate slippage.
Helps a lot going to 285. I can still spin whenever the hell I want, but it's night and day different with 285's vs 235's. You won't be disappointed.
ronin5.0 likes this.

2014 Mustang GT Premium 401a; "Now you can add Premium to your signature." - Thereaper
Old Goat Ninja is offline  
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019
Apprentice
 
Kraig1957's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2017
Location: San Joaquin Valley
Posts: 128
 
Garage
michelin pilot sport 4s
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180423_092213430_HDR - Copy.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	354.5 KB
ID:	608149  


2010 Kona Blue GT Premium traded in June 2016 for a 2016 Oxford White GT Premium with Ceramic interior. Automatic transmission, Sync3, p265/35r20 tires, Shaker audio system. Other vehicles 1964 Pontiac Catalina 389, 1972 Pontiac Lemans 400, 1967 Ford F-100 352, 2016 Ford F-350 Dually, 2003 Ford Crown Victoria LX.
Kraig1957 is offline  
GT Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member
 
crjackson2134's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2015
Location: Charlotte
Posts: 1,138
 
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by djl45 View Post
Seriously, what good is it to have 400+HP if you can't get it to the road surface? Back in the day, I ran side soft tires, cheater slicks when I wasn't sure of the outcome and traction bars on my '65 Chevelle but new to the SS550 Mustang. My '15 GT breaks the tires loose all the way through third gear and has scared me on more than on occasion. It has been about a month since the last scare. I did not expect the car to get sideways in third gear at a high rate of speed and in the wrong place to get sideways; I still can't get out of my head what would have happened had I not gotten the car under control. An experience I have no intention of repeating. I am curious what others are doing to maximize transfer of power to the roadway. I don't know much about the OEM/Pirelli tires but they seem to be severely lacking in this area. I have been considering the addition of the Rousch super charger later this year but if I can't get 435HP to the ground, what am I going to do with 670HP?
A lot of good points have been made here dj, and I notice you havenít commented back in quite a while. Iím from SA too (and miss it a lot).

The stock tires arenít very good at holding the power in my opinion and they get really noisy with some wear on the tread. I replaced mine with MPSS and they were great at 1st but that went away rather quickly and they wore out really fast. I now have 32K miles on my car and Iím on my third set of tires. They are Bridgestone Potenza RE980's

These are AS tires and so far have better traction all around than any other tires Iíve used. Donít let the AS rating fool you though, these are performance tires. Iím very impressed with them so far...

The biggest thing that will possibly help you is your driving style and learning your car. It takes time... You canít use the throttle like an on/off switch. The machine makes power, and the power has to be managed (by you). Learn how to move out quickly without stomping the pedal. You have to roll into the throttle and apply power smoothly. Better tires will help, but better practice will help more, and it does take some time.

I patrolled the streets of SA for nearly 30 years and those streets arenít really ideal for performance driving.
Trust me I really, really do know this. The streets get really greasy in the summer and super dangerous on the 1st rain after a dry spell. Iím pretty sure you know that already though.

Get the better tires, and learn how to ride that horse effectively. Once you master your horse, youíre going to be really happy.

Who is going to install your SC, or are you planning to do this on your own?


2014 Black GT Premium w/Track Pack - 401A - (Apocalypse)
2018 Black Nissan 370Z Nismo - (Lucille-2)
crjackson2134 is offline  
Rookie
 
ronin5.0's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2019
Location: Boulder
Posts: 4
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronin5.0 View Post
My next step is 285/255 (19's) but that will only help, not eliminate slippage.

Helps a lot going to 285. I can still spin whenever the hell I want, but it's night and day different with 285's vs 235's. You won't be disappointed.




Just ordered 19s and Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ 275/255. That will help..
Old Goat Ninja likes this.
ronin5.0 is offline  
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-04-2019 Thread Starter
Rookie
 
djl45's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2015
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 37
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by crjackson2134 View Post
A lot of good points have been made here dj, and I notice you havenít commented back in quite a while. Iím from SA too (and miss it a lot).

The stock tires arenít very good at holding the power in my opinion and they get really noisy with some wear on the tread. I replaced mine with MPSS and they were great at 1st but that went away rather quickly and they wore out really fast. I now have 32K miles on my car and Iím on my third set of tires. They are Bridgestone Potenza RE980's

These are AS tires and so far have better traction all around than any other tires Iíve used. Donít let the AS rating fool you though, these are performance tires. Iím very impressed with them so far...

The biggest thing that will possibly help you is your driving style and learning your car. It takes time... You canít use the throttle like an on/off switch. The machine makes power, and the power has to be managed (by you). Learn how to move out quickly without stomping the pedal. You have to roll into the throttle and apply power smoothly. Better tires will help, but better practice will help more, and it does take some time.

I patrolled the streets of SA for nearly 30 years and those streets arenít really ideal for performance driving.
Trust me I really, really do know this. The streets get really greasy in the summer and super dangerous on the 1st rain after a dry spell. Iím pretty sure you know that already though.

Get the better tires, and learn how to ride that horse effectively. Once you master your horse, youíre going to be really happy.

Who is going to install your SC, or are you planning to do this on your own?
Thanks for the advice on tires; I really don't like the Pirelli PZero tires. They get a flat spot when sitting just over night when the weather is cold and, as you know, cold is relative and it doesn't get really cold in SA. I am learning how to manage the power delivery and totally agree that SA streets are no place for performance driving and one has to be particular as to when and how to push the car on city streets. The event I made reference to in my OP was mostly operator error; wrong place and time to push the car. I was able to regain control and avoided what could have been a life changing event; lesson learned, my guardian angel was on my shoulder that day.

Anyway, I can't justify replacing a barely worn set of 275/255 at the moment and while taking note of your tire recommendation will likely revisit the forum when that time comes. Also considering changing the staggered wheel/tire configuration to a non-staggered configuration but haven't worked through pros and cons of that modification yet.

Breenspeed in Pierceton, Indiana will install the Roush Stage I supercharger sometime later this year; I will likely wait for one of their promotional install specials. I will schedule the install, drive to their facility and stay overnight for two nights while they install and tune the system. Breenspeed provides the customer with overnight accommodations at their facility for their out of town customers. I will also be replacing the OEM shifter as I find it quite lacking and I want to get that done before the supercharger install. I will probably schedule the install for this fall when I usually schedule most of my time off and not traveling as much.

http://www.brenspeed.com/

Thanks for the tire suggestion.
crjackson2134 likes this.
djl45 is offline  
GT Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member
 
crjackson2134's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2015
Location: Charlotte
Posts: 1,138
 
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by djl45 View Post
Breenspeed in Pierceton, Indiana will install the Roush Stage I supercharger sometime later this year; I will likely wait for one of their promotional install specials. I will schedule the install, drive to their facility and stay overnight for two nights while they install and tune the system. Breenspeed provides the customer with overnight accommodations at their facility for their out of town customers. I will also be replacing the OEM shifter as I find it quite lacking and I want to get that done before the supercharger install. I will probably schedule the install for this fall when I usually schedule most of my time off and not traveling as much.

Mustang Performance Parts & Upgrades by Brenspeed

Thanks for the tire suggestion.
Good choice, but do some research before heading out. There are some great shops in your own back yard that are just as capable that you may want to consider. It would be more convenient to get any required service or tweaking done at a nearby shop.

Just something to think about.

Good luck. Stay safe.


2014 Black GT Premium w/Track Pack - 401A - (Apocalypse)
2018 Black Nissan 370Z Nismo - (Lucille-2)
crjackson2134 is offline  
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-05-2019 Thread Starter
Rookie
 
djl45's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2015
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 37
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by crjackson2134 View Post
Good choice, but do some research before heading out. There are some great shops in your own back yard that are just as capable that you may want to consider. It would be more convenient to get any required service or tweaking done at a nearby shop. Just something to think about.

Good luck. Stay safe.
Understood and I completely agree. However, before deciding on Breenspeed, I have done the due diligence on local resources and have not gotten a "warm and fuzzy" on any that I have found. If you are thinking of a local resource in particular; please let me know and I will certainly check them out.
crjackson2134 likes this.
djl45 is offline  
Rookie
 
2Old2care's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2018
Location: Milton
Posts: 7
 
My 2018 GT came with Michelin Pilot Sport 4s (275/40/19) and they are useless. I put 275/40/20 Continental DW tires (Summer tire) on my Scatpack (bone stock) and could do 0-60 in 4.3 seconds on the street. I don't know if they still make them. MY Pilot Sports can't hook at the Drag Strip (yeah the local track doesn't waste much money on track prep during test/tune).

2Old2care is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome
 


Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1