Staggered vs Conventional? Pros? Cons? - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
GLOBAL MODERATOR
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBert View Post
easiest way to find out for sure: take one of your rear wheels off, look at the back of it and note the size markings (usually they are stamped with diameter, width, and offset) . . . take one of your front wheels off, look at the back of it and take note of the size markings . . . then put the rear wheel on the front, and see if it clears
JBert, sounds like something I would do. But I would go all-out and reverse the offsets so the wider pair is on the front and drive around to see how the 275's work in the front. However, to maintain some degree of vanity with fatties on front and skinny's on the back I would cut out a couple eye holes in a Pontiac Aztek car cover and toss it over the car to mask my identity.

Sounds to me the OP really needs to sort this out with a visit to the local wheel & tire store to window shop, spend some money and then find out of there is happiness or buyers regret.

----------------------------
2012 Mustang GT, Roush 2300 Black
2006 Mustang V6 Manual Legend Lime Sold
2019 Charger Scat Pack White
2016 Jeep Willys Silver Vin 060 RIP
2016 Jeep Willys Silver Vin 059 Sold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

PONY Member

He will not be able to run stock rear wheels or stock size wheels in the front the offset backspacing will not work will smash your fender If you want to run a wire wheel and tire package upfront go get custom wheels and tires

PONY Member

GT 350 can run wider wheels up front because it has a wider fender is not the same fender as a regular GT. If it was as easy as buying two more wheels running up front someone would’ve done it three years ago

PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson3010 View Post
GT 350 can run wider wheels up front because it has a wider fender is not the same fender as a regular GT. If it was as easy as buying two more wheels running up front someone would’ve done it three years ago
The difference between GT350 fenders and stock fenders is the vent on the trailing edge.

As far as putting the 9.5" wide rear PP wheels on the front people have been doing that since the S550 came out in 2014.

Dave
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgc333 View Post
. . . .As far as putting the 9.5" wide rear PP wheels on the front people have been doing that since the S550 came out in 2014. . . .

Yeah I would have been very surprised if Ford had screwed that up on the S550 cars; the S197's could run the same 9.5" wheels on all four with no problems at all.

I think the confusion might be coming from talk about extremely wide wheels and tires, like 305 or 315 tires on 11" wheels; then things get a lot tighter and a lot trickier.

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day
GLOBAL MODERATOR
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Cant the OP install 305 or 315 on 10" eliminating the 11" concern.

----------------------------
2012 Mustang GT, Roush 2300 Black
2006 Mustang V6 Manual Legend Lime Sold
2019 Charger Scat Pack White
2016 Jeep Willys Silver Vin 060 RIP
2016 Jeep Willys Silver Vin 059 Sold
PONY Member

Quote:
If it was as easy as buying two more wheels running up front someone would’ve done it three years ago
It is that easy, and they have been

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBert View Post
the S197's could run the same 9.5" wheels on all four with no problems at all.
Yup. LMR sells 19x10 wheels for the S197 that fits with 285's up front. They sell it squared, or staggered with 19x11 in the rear and 305's. I'm pretty sure they sell same size for S550's too, but I know for certain they do on S197's.

2014 Mustang GT Premium 401a; "Now you can add Premium to your signature." - Thereaper
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ONEZ ST View Post
Cant the OP install 305 or 315 on 10" eliminating the 11" concern.
as I understand it, two problems with that:
1) 305 is too wide for 10" wheel; 295 is the widest I have seen recommended for 10" wheel
2) likely clearance problem, tire would probably rub the fender -- the 11" wheel would have more offset, to tuck the wheel and tire more inward in the wheel well; 10" wheel probably would not have enough offset because it is sized to fit a 295 tire just inside the fender

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day

Last edited by JBert; 02-07-2019 at 02:52 PM. Reason: correction
BOSS Member

Garage
Quote:
The difference between GT350 fenders and stock fenders is the vent on the trailing edge.
Jackson3010 is correct. The GT350 does use a wider front fender and different steering knuckle to support a 1" wider track width over the other S550 cars.
PONY Member

We are not talking about a S197
PONY Member

We are not talking about S197 we’re talking about S550 completely different game You cannot take a set of stock performance pack or equivalent wheels and put them up frontThey will hit
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
We are not talking about S197 we’re talking about S550 completely different game. . .
We know we are talking about S550. My experience is with S197 and I have been quite clear about that. However I would be amazed if Ford screwed up the S550 so bad that you can't do the same things you could do with the S197.

Quote:
As far as putting the 9.5" wide rear PP wheels on the front people have been doing that since the S550 came out in 2014...
Dave seems to be pretty clear here.

I think maybe the confusion comes from "pushing the envelope" -- the OP is not talking about fitting 315 tires on the front, with 11" wheels, which probably would require special wheels and wider fenders like on the GT350. He is only talking about 9.5" wheels with 275 tires, which should be a piece of cake . . . or at least it was on the S197, and again I'd be very surprised if Ford had made the S550 worse in this area.

PONY Member

You can not bolt up rear 9.5 pp wheels ( or equivalent) on the front of a s550 unless you use at least a 5mm spacer. It is a tite fit with 275s but with a 5mm spacer it is possible.

There are a few 10-11 inch wheels that fit the front without any problems. I’m just saying that the stock wheels don’t just bolt on.
A 9.5” Pp rear wheel will need a spacer to fit and a 11” rear wheel will hit the fender.

another problem is if you lower your car it pushes your wheel and tire out even further. My car is lowered 1 1/2 inches in the front and with the caster camber plates installed the wheels are dead even with the fender. Any wider or any lower it would be sticking out
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
You can not bolt up rear 9.5 pp wheels ( or equivalent) on the front of a s550 unless you use at least a 5mm spacer. It is a tite fit with 275s but with a 5mm spacer it is possible. . . . .
it sounds like you are speaking from experience so I guess I stand corrected . . . but still having a hard time making sense of this

If you need a spacer, apparently the wheel must hit the caliper without it. Which means that Ford designed the PP rear wheels to be rear only; the 9.5" rear wheel does not clear the front brakes, even though the 9" front wheel does clear the brakes. I don't understand why they would do that, seems like a mistake.

And if brake clearance with the rear PP wheels on the front is the issue, I don't understand why the tire width would make any difference. If the 275 tire is hitting the strut, that suggests that the S550 has less space there than the S197 did, which seems like a step in the wrong direction for a performance-oriented car.

Or, the front and rear wheels on the S550 require different offsets. That also does not make sense to me; that would mean that none of the S550 wheels can be rotated front to back.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page