Why is expensive dash kit necessary for radio upgrade? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019 Thread Starter
PONY Member
5.0L Member

Why is expensive dash kit necessary for radio upgrade?

Hello all. It has been a while since my last post. I am absolutely loving my new GT Base (which has a lot of options my 07 Premium did not - and just a touch more power) but when I attempt to crank up the music it makes me want to exit the vehicle at freeway speed. I didn't think a stock radio could be so bad in the year 2018. I have already replaced the speakers with Rockford Fosgate upgrades. I went with the most sensitive I could find knowing that I would not be going through an amp. This was quite an improvement, but still leaves a LOT to be desired in terms of equalization. What little bass does get past the factory head unit sounds great on the new speakers and I am hoping the addition of the single 10" sub and mono amp I have not had time to install will cover more of that. I should get away with a relatively high frequency pass since it will go in a sealed enclosure.

Unfortunately, I am quickly realizing that I will not be happy until I get those new speakers on an amp. Max volume is now about "22" without distorting due to under-power. I could certainly use a line drop converter to remedy that, but I worry I would still be fighting the head unit. I have considered a sound processing unit but that is a lot of money to drop without getting the benefits of GPS, a bigger screen etc. My go-to solution has always been to replace the head unit. A few bucks for a dash kit and harness and off to the races right? But everything I have been seeing so far recommends a $300-500 dash kit with a fancy touch screen for HVAC controls to replace the knobs.

Finally to my question - why is this touch screen business even necessary? Why can't I just buy a replacement panel with the right cutouts for the existing knobs instead paying extra for an extra piece of tech that I highly suspect will be plagued with glitches and most likely fail at some point?

1989 Mustang GT Convertible
- Regatta Blue / Silver / Black Top
- White Leather
2007 Mustang GT Premium *RIP* Death at 20MPH
- Tungsten Metallic
- Black Leather
2018 Mustang GT Base
- Electric Blue
- 6 Speed Manual
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page