20x10-5 and 40mm-offset - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Garage
20x10-5 and 40mm-offset

I wanted to know if anyone has this exact set up particularly in the front:

20x10-5-5x4-5-5x114-3 40mm-offset. It seems very close to the strut.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by coop View Post
I wanted to know if anyone has this exact set up particularly in the front:

20x10-5-5x4-5-5x114-3 40mm-offset. It seems very close to the strut.

Thanks in advance.
https://www.customwheeloffset.com/wh...b8-stock-stock

That's the only 20x10.5 with 45mm all around, stock suspension

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

I don't know the offset specs for the S550 but 40 does sound a bit on the high side perhaps

coop, are you saying you already have the wheels and the wheel/tire is close to the strut? if so, how close?

on my fronts I can just about get my fingers between the tire and the strut and and top strut bolt, but I have never had a problem with any actual contact

if 40 is too close, 45 will be worse and probably hitting, because higher offset pulls the wheel inward under the car; for more clearance on the strut you need less offset, but the trade-off is the wheel/tire will stick out of the wheel well more

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Garage
JBert: Yes I have the wheels. I jacked the car up to try one front wheel. I know it maybe different than having the car on a lift, but it seemed very close, 3 mm from the strut maybe, but I was able to turn the wheel forward and backward, and turn the steering wheel at least halfway to the left and then I noticed the wheel touching the strut.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019
MACH I Member

Garage
I assume you're referencing a negative offset, i.e. -40, -45? If so, then the higher the negative offset the further away the wheel will be from shock. See diagram.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	OFFSET.PNG
Views:	18
Size:	320.1 KB
ID:	610291  

IF MY CAR WENT AS FAST AS THE MONEY I SPEND ON IT, I'D WIN EVERY RACE
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Garage
pikapp the rim is almost flush with the fender well, but I have maybe 3 mm of space between the back of rim and the strut. The shop said we could tell exactly how much space once I get the car to them. If I keep the rims, may need a small thin spacer, to make sure for clearance.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019
MACH I Member

Garage
The wheel may clear, but your tire may not..

IF MY CAR WENT AS FAST AS THE MONEY I SPEND ON IT, I'D WIN EVERY RACE
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikapp View Post
I assume you're referencing a negative offset, i.e. -40, -45? If so, then the higher the negative offset the further away the wheel will be from shock. See diagram.
Wow, you really rocked my world with that one, is it possible that I have had it backwards all this time ???? so I had to check it out . . .

Attached photo shows a wheel off my 2010 GT; this is an original equipment GT500 wheel. You can see that for sure it is positive offset -- there is a lot of space behind the mounting surface, for sure the mounting surface is outboard of the centerline.

More offset moves the mounting surface farther outboard; this moves the wheel inward and will make it hit the strut (or other things that are inboard) if taken too far . . . whew!

My understanding is that the S550 wheels use less offset than the S197, but it is still "positive" offset (mounting surface outboard of wheel centerline) so the affect of offset changes is the same, but the correct amount of offset is different (less)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wheel_offset_reduced.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	792.6 KB
ID:	610313  

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019
Apprentice
Classic Member

If you have a high positive offset, start stacking washers over the studs to move the wheel out away from the struts, frame whatever. Then measure the stack of washers. Either use that to order a spacer or add that number to the current offset to calculate the offset you need. If you don't have enough positive offset (or too much negative) there isn't much to do beyond using a ruler or tape measure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page