Tire size concerns - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-02-2019 Thread Starter
Rookie

Tire size concerns

I have a 2019 GT PPL2 that came with 305/30ZR19 Cup 2 tires all around. I find these tires are too aggressive for normal street driving, plus they wear quicker, and I want to save them for track use.
I'm thinking of putting the PPL1 wheels and tires on for daily driving. These are 255/40ZR19 front and 275/40ZR19 rear.
My questions are: Will the different sized tires cause any problems? Would this be considered a modification that will void the warranty? Will the car need to be re-calibrated for the new size tires and then again when I put the 305s on for the track?
Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-02-2019
GT Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

it's the diameter that might be an issue. As long as the tires are within a few tenths the same diameter as the others, there is no issue at all.

130 total pounds of Pitbull ruled by 8 pounds of cat.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-03-2019 Thread Starter
Rookie

Agreed

That's my concern. The overall diameter of the PPL1 tires is about 1.7" more than the PPL2 tires. Will this cause any problems with tranny, diff, brakes? Will this be considered a modification that could void the warranty?
I asked the service dept at my dealership, they didn't know and advised to call Ford Customer Service. I called Ford Customer Service, they didn't know and advised to contact my dealership.
Any advice is appreciated.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-03-2019
PONY Member

Your gaining approx. 1.5 inches diameter in the rear. As long as they physically fit with no rubbing your good to go. As a 265-35-R20 is listed as an alternate tire size. Its around .36 shorter than the 275-40-R19 you selected, not much difference and should fit.

255-40-R19 are listed as an alternate stock tire size.

I don't see any problems with your choice in tires and there should not be any warranty issues.

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-04-2019
PONY Member

There shouldn’t be any problems with the warranty and if we’re talking about a manual transmission you’ll never know the difference. Now if you’re talking about an automatic then yes it’s going to throw your shifts off it’s going to throw everything off but so slightly that you probably never notice
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
Rookie

Thanks for the advice. I ordered the wheels and tires yesterday.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago
PONY Member

Are you sure the tires on the PP2 aren't 305/35, they are on the GT350. If they are there is only .3" smaller in diameter compared to the 275/40 and .4" larger than the 255/40.

Dave
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
Rookie

Hi Dave
Yes, the PPL2 tires are Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 305/30R19 on all four corners. I doubled checked the sizes on the tires.
Ford's website also shows that the PPL2 comes with 265/40R19 front, 275/40R19 rear but the PPL2 specs show the 305/30s. The PPL1 tires are listed as 255/40 front, 275/40 rear.
I ordered the 265/40 and 275/40 Michelin Pilot Sport 4S.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page