Stainless steel vs alumnized steel - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-18-2015 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Garage
Stainless steel vs aluminized steel

For those who have taken the resonator out or those with any ideas about if there is a difference between getting a stainless steel hpipe or aluminized steel hpipe?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-18-2015
PONY Member
2.3L Member

The aluminized steel will rust out long before the stainless will.

2007 4.0 V6 Mustang, Victim of Black Ice
1989 2.3 Fastback, traded for:
2011 3.7 Pony Package, Traded for:
2018 GT 5.0 Premium
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-18-2015
Apprentice

The two metals will have different resonant frequencies, but the effect should be minimal, given the situation. The biggest differences are cost and longevity.

JR

2016 Race Red GT Premium Fastback - Performance Package, Navigation, Enhanced Security Package, Ebony Premier Trim

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-19-2015
Rookie

When exhaust makers went to alum.steel about 30yrs ago it probably doubled life expectancy. Stainless pretty much brings immortality to your exhaust.

'13 GT500,'15 Mustang GT
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-17-2016
Apprentice

Garage
Your exhaust is stainless steel, so stick with the same for longevity.

'15 GT w/PP - Deep Impact Blue - Kooks Long Tube Catted Headers & Cat-Back w/H-Pipe; Steeda ProFlow CAI; BBK 85MM Throttle Body; Tuned by Evans-Tuning; Steeda IRS Subframe Bushing Support System, Alignment Kit, Support Braces, Urethane Differential Bushings, and Vertical Links; Dynotech Aluminum Driveshaft; Ford Performance GT350 Halfshafts; Ford Racing Short Shifter; JLT Oil Separator; Silver MMD V-Series Stripes; AMSOIL Signature Series 5W-20 oil, Severe Gear Rear Diff and Trans Fluids.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-19-2016
Apprentice

I know that the headers and muffler tips are stainless but is anyone 100% sure that all the rest is stainless? I had a full stainless system on a car once and it definitely had a different sound than what was on it before. Where the mid pipe is located I wouldn't be too concerned about it rusting out. If in fact all the parts of the system are stainless I would go that way with the mid pipe. If not I would go the other way.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-20-2016
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne K View Post
I know that the headers and muffler tips are stainless but is anyone 100% sure that all the rest is stainless? I had a full stainless system on a car once and it definitely had a different sound than what was on it before. Where the mid pipe is located I wouldn't be too concerned about it rusting out. If in fact all the parts of the system are stainless I would go that way with the mid pipe. If not I would go the other way.
It's all stnls.

'13 GT500,'15 Mustang GT
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-21-2016
PONY Member

The new government regulations for warranties on the emission system back in the late 80s made stainless mandatory to be able to meet them.

Dave
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-24-2016 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Garage
I decided to exchange the aluminized h pipe for the stainless steel h pipe for the resonator delete. Thanks to CJ Pony parts. The car is still in storage anyway so I will install in a few weeks.
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coop View Post
For those who have taken the resonator out or those with any ideas about if there is a difference between getting a stainless steel hpipe or aluminized steel hpipe?
I installed an aluminized steel h-pipe resonator delete because of the cost difference. I find the exhaust has a slight metallic sound, especially when cold on first startup.

2015 Mustang GT 50 Year Anniversary, Ruby Red coupe. Staggered fit 19 inch wheels from American Muscle. Front tires are Sumitomo 245/45 19, rears are Sumitomo 275/40 19. Sound tube deleted, resonator deleted, replaced with h-pipe, Bama tune, custom sub woofer with Rockford Fosgate P3D4 10 inch subwoofer driven by and Alpine MRV 500M mono power amp. Replaced Sync 2 with Sync 3.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page