Ford Mustang Forum - View Single Post - Installing a Short Throw Shifter
View Single Post
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-30-2010
Oh5Stang
Apprentice

I just installed a Hurst Billet Comp Plus is my '05. It was the easiest thing to do. There are only 4 bolts to remove to take out the stock shifter. The center console is way too easy to take out. Just a couple of things I ran into that were not in the instructions. My OEM shifter had a safety clip on it that was a pain to get off. Some wiggling and pulling made short work of it. If you don't have a ratcheting box end 10mm for the front bolt, get one. It will make life very easy. Also when removing the front 10mm bolt use a long box end wrench to get some leverage, its a tight space. The last thing I did was install the new shifter from the bottom. There was no way of sliding the new shifter in from the top. It was tight, but I was able to slide the shifter between the drive shaft and the transmission tunnel. You may have to rotate the drive shaft if the balance weight is in the way. I did have a lift to work under, but this can be done in the drive way with jack stands and a creeper. Don't pay someone to do this, its way to easy. Good luck.

05 Mineral Grey GT, 5 Speed Manual, Red Leather, IUP, Kenwood DDX512, Stock Bullets, Side Air Bags, Anti-Theft, Axle-back Flowmasters, Billet A/C Knobs, Hurst Billet Comp Plus STS, SHR Lower Grill Inserts...More to come

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome