Ford Mustang Forum - View Single Post - Test drove a 2011 Mustang 5.0....
View Single Post
post #23 of (permalink) Old 06-14-2010
Allentown
MACH I Member
Classic Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FORDMOPAR70 View Post
You guys need to understand, from my point of view this thing is like a rocket going from a Challenger RT to a 11 Mustang 5.0. I drove a 2010 GT w/ 3.73 gears and the only difference was accelerating from a stop but it didn't feel much different than the '11. Acceleration while cruising, the 5.0 is way better than the 4.6. Besides couldn't see trading my Challenger for an engine which has run it's course and is now yesterdays technology, not to mention the 6 speed tranny. I have to drive 60 miles a day to and from work daily on GA400. I want the best of both worlds - lots of power and fuel economy - case for the 3.31 gears.
For what it's worth, about $4,000.00 will get power levels comperable to the 5.0 in the 4.6 - this is what is being done at our "speed shop" for those die hard 4.6 guys.
I am the first to defend the 4.6 especially the 10 which had all the normal "mods" for free. I am the first to point out the 11 is not THAT much faster (as people claim). It's a great evolutionary step, not revolutionary.

But you are right. When it comes to acceleration at speed, the 4.6 won't compete. When it comes to wot drag racing, the 10 will be left 1 to 3 car lengths behind.

Still love that it's perfected and bulletproof though.

2011 Shelby GT 500: C&L CAI, Roush GT 500 Performance axlebacks, Steeda 2.65 Supercharger pulley with idler/belt tensioner, Ford SVT Custom Racing Tune, SVT package, Glass roof, Tech package
Gone: 2011 GT/CS Black
Gone: 2010 Sterling Gray GT, Track Pack

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome