Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Test drove a 2011 Mustang 5.0....

5K views 40 replies 22 participants last post by  H82BSLO 
#1 ·
I test drove a 2011 5.0 today and I can say that I am not overally impressed with it. I have a 2005 GT and I really didn't think it was a HUGE difference in performance. Yes I could tell a difference and yes it was very nice. If I didn't have a mustang and looked to get one this would be my first choice. But for me I was not compelled to trade in my GT for the upgrade.

Anyone else with a GT drive a 5.0 and think this?

#3 ·
It may be how you will able to drive it. If you were stuck in normal traffic patterns, I would say yes, its about the same , and it handles a bit better. Steering feels a bit better and of course its a new car..

I have a 2008 Gt with CIA and tune. I drove one and was able to do some 1/4 mile like highway runs..I was on it so to speak. My opinion its different, no doubt about that for me anyway.

#4 ·
It wasn't that it was not any different, I can tell a difference. It was that I guess I expected it to be much different. To me it was only a margianally better not exceptionally better.
For me the bottom line was when I was done driving it I wasn't running into the dealership to trade in my GT for one.

Looks like I am in the minority on this opinion though.

#5 ·
... that really makes zero sense to me.... I owned a 2010 GT a few month before my 5.0 and I noticed a huge difference. If you were riding on stock gears that could be the reason, which most of the GTs are at this point to my disappointment... those 3.31 gears do NOT work to the 5.0s favor. If not, you should probably go get your ears checked, cause you're just not feeling what you're supposed to haha

Fast, Neat, Average...

#35 ·
Friendly, Good, Good

#9 ·
Agreed with Sam i am, Darkcandy, USA Flyboy

That was what I rode in my post early. I had basically open rode 1/4 mile runs, 4 times, shifts at around 6000-6300 , the thing was a beast...Never really got pass 4th gear in those runs

The other good point here was about the gears.. My 08GT has 3.55's and the one I drove had 3.73...

Believe me, I would not have order a 5.0 if I did not think there was a difference beside that fact it will be the most expense Stang I have ever owned..

#10 ·
Big difference

My 2011 GT is a automatic with 3:15 gear. My 2007 Shelby GT was a stick with 3:55 gear, 2008 Bullitt as all were a stick with 3:73 gear, and my 2010 GT was a stick with trac pac 1 3:73 gear.
I had concerns about my expectations of the 2011 GT as I had driven a 2010 GT with automatic and 3:31 gear and did not care for it at all. The 4.6 with stick and optional gear combo was real nice but.
This 5.0 is completely different. Feels like it has a 4:10 gear when on the throttle and lots more horsepower. I am still on my first tank of regular and 250 miles. May see even more out of it after 1000 mile break in and premium fuel. I really wanted an automatic and feel like this was the way for me to go. :yup:

#11 ·
My 2011 GT is a automatic with 3:15 gear. My 2007 Shelby GT was a stick with 3:55 gear, 2008 Bullitt as all were a stick with 3:73 gear, and my 2010 GT was a stick with trac pac 1 3:73 gear.
I had concerns about my expectations of the 2011 GT as I had driven a 2010 GT with automatic and 3:31 gear and did not care for it at all. The 4.6 with stick and optional gear combo was real nice but.
This 5.0 is completely different. Feels like it has a 4:10 gear when on the throttle and lots more horsepower. I am still on my first tank of regular and 250 miles. May see even more out of it after 1000 mile break in and premium fuel. I really wanted an automatic and feel like this was the way for me to go. :yup:
Dude i agree. Mine is an auto also. Just wait for a good tune and the thing will really run hard and shift points will be firmed up and bumping the rev limiter by several hundred rpm . A tune, full exhaust, and CAI ought to show gains of 40 to 50-ish or more RWHP.

#12 ·
I work in a dealer & have been interested in the mustang since 2005. Been driving them every year, but was never impressed by the speed nor the ride. Finally liked the way the 2010 rode enough to deal with the lack of speed & was just about to get one ,then heard about the 5.0 and waited. World of difference in power. Even the ride was a big difference starting 2010. My opinion.:)

#13 ·
Greenterror,

Maybe you should consider trying to find another 5.0 you can test drive with a 6 speed and 3.73 gears.

Hopefully you can find a road that you can go through the gears and bring up the rev's..

I'm pretty sure you will feel the difference..

oh yes, the Brembo brake package is also a plus. The one I drove had that option also and the car handled much better then my 08 GT

#14 ·
If you don't think the 5.0 is a great machine(performance wise), then you don't deserve to drive one. It has 100 more horsepower, 65 more torque. better aerodynamics, better suspension, a live axle that outperforms the maro's IRS and a redline of 7000 rpms! And best of all you can get the package for less than $40k!

#17 ·
If comparing it to a 10 it only has 55lbs more tq and what is the equavilant of 87 more HP. (premium gas)

Going from 3.73s to 3.15s with only 55lbs more tq could yeild confusion for someone expecting to go from a rowboat to a rocket ship 335ft/390ft lbs tq is only a 15% increase. Throw in the difference in pull going from 3.73s to 3.15s with only a 15% increase in Tq and expecting to be "twice as good" would leave someone bewildered..its not twice as much pull its...15% more pull.

Now.... (as several have mentioned here) get into the higher speeds and wind out the rpm (where the 4.6 starts running out of breath) and the tq numbers arent the issue...then you are feeling the extra "100" horsepower....at those RPMs its not 15% better..its 25% better...and gears wouldnt matter much at that point either..

Soo..i can see both sides.

#15 ·
I test drove a 2011 5.0 today and I can say that I am not overally impressed with it. I have a 2005 GT and I really didn't think it was a HUGE difference in performance. Yes I could tell a difference and yes it was very nice. If I didn't have a mustang and looked to get one this would be my first choice. But for me I was not compelled to trade in my GT for the upgrade.

The parking brake is supposed to be in the down position.

Mine has 3.31 rear end gears and a 2010 GT was no contest; taking candy from a baby.

#18 ·
The standard 2010GTs with 3.31s or less are AWFUL..not a contest for my car either...could never get it less than 5.6 in 0-60 and i can easily do 5 or less in the 2010gt i have now....so saying that a regular 2010Gt was "no contest"...really isnt say much (from someone who has owned 2).

Nonetheless...i will be at a dealer some time in 12 or so....maybe when the Boss version comes out with the 430+ ratings..... thats the one id like

#16 ·
Sorry guys but I just don't agree with you on this. Don't get me wrong it was a very nice car, just not night and day like I thought it would be.

I wasn't riding with a dealer, I got it out on a highway and did get on the throttle. Maybe my expectations were too high.

#19 ·
FORDMOPAR,

That 2010 you raced must have a crappy driver or it is the standard gear GT. I agree with the OP. I drove a 3.31 auto 5.0 and I actually like my 3.73 2010 GT better. Yes, the 5.0 has more power (in stock form), but I was not "wowed" like I thought I would be. Maybe a 3.73 5.0 6 speed would "wow" me, but I'll wait until 2012.

#21 ·
FORDMOPAR,

That 2010 you raced must have a crappy driver or it is the standard gear GT. I agree with the OP. I drove a 3.31 auto 5.0 and I actually like my 3.73 2010 GT better. Yes, the 5.0 has more power (in stock form), but I was not "wowed" like I thought I would be. Maybe a 3.73 5.0 6 speed would "wow" me, but I'll wait until 2012.
You guys need to understand, from my point of view this thing is like a rocket going from a Challenger RT to a 11 Mustang 5.0. I drove a 2010 GT w/ 3.73 gears and the only difference was accelerating from a stop but it didn't feel much different than the '11. Acceleration while cruising, the 5.0 is way better than the 4.6. Besides couldn't see trading my Challenger for an engine which has run it's course and is now yesterdays technology, not to mention the 6 speed tranny. I have to drive 60 miles a day to and from work daily on GA400. I want the best of both worlds - lots of power and fuel economy - case for the 3.31 gears.
For what it's worth, about $4,000.00 will get power levels comperable to the 5.0 in the 4.6 - this is what is being done at our "speed shop" for those die hard 4.6 guys.

#20 ·
Expectations have alot to do with it! There are also some other factors in play as well I believe.

When I picked up my 2011 last month, I must admit, the first day I felt dissapointed with the performance. Then a couple days later it really impressed me - I wasn't overthinking, just DRIVING, and wow what an engine. Now 1400mi later, I wonder "how could have I possiblly felt that way to begin with"? Contributing factors I believe: 1.) The exhaust is quieter than previous years. 2.) The chassis is tight /well engineered so therefore handles the power output very well. 3.) The NVH of the driveline is extremely low.

#22 ·
I've had my 5.0 - MT - brembo pkg - 3.55 for about a week/ 500 mixed miles and have learned to keep the rev's up (3K and up) than with the 4.6 I've also been surprised to find I use all 6 gears a lot - 3 thru 5 are sweet while 6th is dull & quiet (2K @ 65 - 70 mph). If i can believe the goofy bar chart on the dash, mileage in 6th appears to be best @ 80 mph ....interesting (VCT thing?). Handling is absolutely superb and worth the occasional rough ride over worn CA frwy. Biggest anxiety was no spare & can goop in trunk so I bought an $8 plug kit and $.79 bottle of water and feel better now.

This is a damn fine car and even my hot 50 yr old girlfriend thinks I look good behind the wheel. Life is good.

#24 ·
I would think since there is about a 1 sec difference between a 2011 and 2010 in their 1/4 mile elapsed times, and the faster car is trapping at about 110 mph, or 160 feet per second - therefore the difference is more like 8 car lengths between the two. In practice it may be closer but probably more than 1-3 lengths!

#25 ·
I've got love for both cars, but honestly, unless you do drop another 4K$ into the engine, don't mess with the 5.0. Then you'd have to drop some more cash into the chassis if you want to hit the twisties. If anyone wants to see how many car lengths the 4.6 will finish behind the 5.0 in 1/4, look me up in a few months. I live a mile from the dragstrip. We could put it on youtube, etc...

#28 ·
I've got love for both cars, but honestly, unless you do drop another 4K$ into the engine, don't mess with the 5.0. Then you'd have to drop some more cash into the chassis if you want to hit the twisties. If anyone wants to see how many car lengths the 4.6 will finish behind the 5.0 in 1/4, look me up in a few months. I live a mile from the dragstrip. We could put it on youtube, etc...
My chasis is the same as yours thank you...with better tires and a few less pounds and hydraulic steering to boot. :p

I would think since there is about a 1 sec difference between a 2011 and 2010 in their 1/4 mile elapsed times, and the faster car is trapping at about 110 mph, or 160 feet per second - therefore the difference is more like 8 car lengths between the two. In practice it may be closer but probably more than 1-3 lengths!
8 car lengths at 110 and the 1/4 is the theoretical possibility there...if you have the BEST driver on the BEST DAY...i never denined that however.

But....i usually take my foot out of it once i get up to 60ish...thats where i was getting that 3 car length number from. The longer the race goes on the, the great the difference.

Since i dont routinely drag to the 1/4 when i get in my car and go some where..i actually DO care about 0-60 etc. :p (4.9 vs 4.5)

I suppose it depends on if we are talking about at the drag strip or daily driving. The 2011 is about fast a car as you can get at an affordable price either way..but the legal limits would prevent all but the MOST aggressive drivers from utilizing most of that extra power any where but on the track.

I am not knocking it...there is no such thing as TOO MUCH power in my book :bigthumbsup

But what i meant by "not a huge difference" is that you are not going to see it jump to Bugatti or even Ferrari performance...its a STEP faster, not a galaxy jump faster.... it doesnt have solid rockert boosters and you do not have to plan a rolll over maneuver to look back at the planet when you launch it.

I still would not trade that 1 second advantage in for buying an engine in the first year or possibly 2 of production...but there again..thats personal preference..to many its worth the headache.

PS...we will proably be having this same discussion in reverse when i spring for a Boss or shelby in 2013 and you will be trying to convince ME that my .3 second advantage to 60 "isn't reallly that much" or 'isnt really practical in the real world"..

Good times....

Really now?

A trap speed of 103-104 vs 110-112 (some have trapped 115 in stock form with the 5.0. check youtube) is a HUGE difference. That's murder in a drag race.

The 5.0 is tons faster than the 4.6.

I have a 2007 GT, full exhaust, CAI/tune and 4.10. Ran a best of 13.2 @ 107mph on stock tires.

I went and drove a 3.73 gear 2011 5.0 and it blew the socks off of my modded 2007 GT. The top end power is way stronger. It accelerates much faster while having taller gearing. I could easily run .5 seconds faster in the 5.0

A simple CAI, exhaust and tune on the 5.0's are getting them into low 12's (BMW M5 Territory.), add some rubber and they are running 11's.

A 4.6L with the same simple mods is barely making 12's.

Those who are somehow disappointed by the 5.0 vs the 4.6 are either smoking crack or expected GT500 power levels.
Also on youtube is nearly 100% stock 2010 GT running around 12.9 in the quarter..granted that was probably a perfect night and perfect launch..but youtube it, its there.

What has the world come to with 1/4s in the high 12s is considered "slow" for an every day driver!

:worship

Obviously as cars get faster things will change but there just arent very many cars i need that much power to get around. I have YET to find someone i couldnt just fly around if i needed to...there just arent that many SS's or 5.0s around and if one of them decides to stick his foot in it...he isnt in "my way" anyway.

#26 ·

Well I have to ask if you have had any work done to the 2005 GT? What is the rear gear ratio? (3.31, 3.55, 3.73...etc). I have a 2009 GT and want to test drive a 5.0 soon so I can see how much faster it really is. I am really hoping I have the same reaction as you so i don't get the 5.0 fever!

#30 ·
We are arguing over syntax. I do consider 1 second to be a large difference, just not enough to account for the hype...which would lead one to believe they were producing chariots that you can ride to heaven in...have a cup of tea with Jesus Christ and then get dumped into a bed full of Pamela Anderson clones.

I stand corrected on the definition of the word 'huge"...but not on my opinion about the hype.

Also the problem comes in with our views of time and performance..you are looking at it from a strictly racing view which you should.

I made the MISTAKE of looking at it in the practical view where i have never seen someone walk into the office a second ahead of me and then FLIP out about how much later to work i was than him. lol

However, that was my mistake clearly. :smartass:

YouTube - 2010 Mustang in the 12's

READ: STREET TIRES.

You stand corrected (on that point)

"
6 months ago
Yea lower control arm, the fog light removed because that is where the intake box is. The car still had the factory air filter, street tires, and the stock 3.73's. Awesome driver. Car just went 11.96 last month on full slicks and more mods but still stock longblock. "

12.96 ON STREET TIRES....11.96 ON SLICKS

There, i admitted where i was wrong..now i will wait for you to admit you were.

:bigthumbsup

#31 ·
Your personal interpretation of the hype by expecting the ride off into heaven having a drink with Jesus is your own fault.

I nowhere in any place ever heard anything that hyped the car to that extent.

If you consider a 1 second difference to not live up to the hype, then you are on drugs.

Besides, for the 3rd time, I am looking at trap speeds that show the car's true power. Not ET's.

115mph vs that 2010's 107mph. 8 mph difference. If that 2010's run had the 5.0 in it, considering equal traction, launch, etc, it would have ran 12.2 seconds.

That is a very big difference.

It takes a hell of a lot more to go 12.8 from 13.5 (car averages) than it does from say... 16.0 to 15.0. or even 15.0 to 14.0

The car has 33% more power FCOL. Your expectation was clearly unrealistic.

That 2010's 11.9 run was with way more than just the addition of slicks. He trapped 113mph in that run. You can hear he had it cammed. Starting to get major mods for that time, where as the 5.0 does it with a CAI/tune and slicks. All else stock.

Fine. Street tires. I was wrong. But he had other mods to increase launch and traction, UCA and LCA and an X-pipe. The concept of increasing traction to gain that time wasn't a faulty assumption.

#32 ·
Bottom line the 5.0 just has too much going for it for me to even consider a 2010 GT.
A. Faster engine
B. 6 speed transmission
C. Electronic steering
D. Updated Suspension
E. Brembo brakes offered

etc.....

#39 ·
Based on that "logic", Ford built an inline 6 from 1965 to 1996, therefore that engines record of proven reliability trumps yours by several years. As a matter of fact, it ought to be enough for you to yank your 4.6l out tomorrow.

Good luck with your mighty 165 HP motor :winks

#34 ·
just tested it myself for the first time today, thought the handling and feel were absolutely amazing. the road noise level was also minimal to none, only the drone and rumble of the exhaust--- made my 08 pony sound like its body was perforated and exposed to the outside!

The power is great from the get-go at around 1.5-2k rpm and only gets better. Cant afford one yet, but am sold on the 5.0 once i am ready in a year or so. There just is no other car like it. Sublimity in its purest form.

#36 ·
It seems that some are taking this original thread a little too seriously. I understand his point. I test drove a 2010 cadillac CTS-V about 3 weeks ago that I felt the exact same way about. This car has a 556 HP supercharged 6.2L and does 0-60 in 3.9 with a 12.4 1/4 mile. This car ABSOLUTELY did not feel that fast seat of the pants when I drove it. I drove in "D" and also used the steering wheel paddles. The car, no doubt, was fast but certainly didn't garner the hype based on how it felt to me. With that being said, both the 2010 and 2011 mustangs are fine cars. Who cares if the 2011 is more powerful and a few 10ths quicker? The 2010 can be had cheaply with great financing now. The 2010 has more tha enough power for daily real world driving, i.e., passing, on ramps etc. Who street races anymore? Its not like the old days when you'd just get a ticket. Now, your car gets impounded on the spot. I just recently got rid of a 2008 Z06. Now, that car was fast and in a league of its own but after having it a short while, I realized that there was absolutely nowhere that I could utilize that power in a real world daily commute. I bought that car for the same fundamental reason that everyone is scrambling to get their hands on the new 2011 5.0; bragging rights; the type of car that you don't necesarilly have to go fast in because everyone knows that you can go fast. I ultimately sold the Z06 because I drove it no different than any other car I had owned and it just became a hassle as a daily driver. The clutch was too stiff. The suspension was too harsh. I had to have it when it came out though. It took me 2 years to convince my wife to let me buy it and then I wound up almost hating it. I just got my new 2010 GT and I absolutely love it! This is the nicest car I've owned in several years. This car is night and day difference with regard to quality/fit and finish compared to that Z06 and my current Corvette. The Electronics Package on this Mustang is reason enough to buy this car. With regard to the performance of the 2010 Mustang, a VW Beetle would beat me at a stoplight race becasue the VW would be racing by itself. I don't race so the power difference between the 2010/2011 Mustangs is not an issue for me. If that's your thing, then the 2011 is for you. Wishing everyone continued health and success and remember that everyone is entitled to their opinion.

#37 ·
..... I don't race so the power difference between the 2010/2011 Mustangs is not an issue for me. If that's your thing, then the 2011 is for you......
Speed or power is not only factor... updated suspension, electronic stability control*, electronic steering, 6 speed transmission, brembo brakes*, etc.

*w/ brembo brake pkg.

Speed is just a small piece of a larger puzzle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.