Ford Mustang Forum - View Single Post - 2004 3.8 V6 Mustang Has Random Non-Starting Issues
View Single Post
post #17 of (permalink) Old 09-30-2010
wmburns
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazeej View Post
Hey guys. Just wanted to introduce myself. My name's Jack, and I came here looking for some clues as to why my daugher's Mustang wouldn't start. Two minutes after registering, I found this thread. Pretty cool. At least now I have some ideas about what to check. Problem is, my daughter lives 4 1/2 hours away. She's pretty good with cars - for a girl - so I should be able to do some troubleshooting over the phone.
Looks like I'll be hanging around here...

Jack
Welcome. Let's see if we can get some help for you. Need to know the model year.

For a crank with no start, first check the battery. Terminals clean and tight? Battery fully charged? Today's cars can not run well without a strong battery.

Check the fuses.

For the 1999-2004 MY, turn the key on and verify that the theif light goes out after a 3 second "prove out". Confirm that the theft light does NOT come during cranking.

Turn the key on/off/pause several times without cranking. Listen for the fuel pump each time the key is in the on position. Does this improve starting?

Next hold the pedal half way down during cranking. Does this improve starting.

Check the RPM tach during cranking. Does it move at all? Does the check engine light come on during cranking?

Post up the results.

2003 GT Convertible (sold & missed)
2000 GT coupe (Craigslist project. Fixed. Now my DD). Windsor to Romeo swap.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome