Ford Mustang Forum banner

Does your 2011-2014 Mustang 5.0 have a tick after fully warmed up?

2011-2014 5.0 V8 - does yours have a "tick" after fully warmed up?

328K views 825 replies 266 participants last post by  Verty13 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
i posted this on svtp but thought i would post here as well. i have seen people on a few different forums complain of this issue. mine ticks when the engine is warmed up and happens between 800-2000 rpm and has since new although i didnt notice it right away. it is a lot worse with the a/c on and does not affect performance. just wanted to get a feel for how many people are having this issue and how many have taken the car to the dealer to have it checked out. also, if you have a vid or sound clip please post it.

does your car have a tick when warmed up between 800-2000 rpm(worse with a/c on)?

what is your build date?

do you think it is something to worry about?

have you taken it in for service because of the tick(if so what was your experience)?
other than the tick my car is a beast and i love it :punk:

#95 ·
Sub'... No tick noise on my so far but the clutch is starting to slip on take off in 1st gear. I have 350 miles...is this just the clutch breaking in and I need to adjust the way I drive or is there a know issue with the 5.0 clutch?

#97 ·
Just changed my oil to Royal Purple 5W20 at 5000 miles. Took a quick spin and returned home only to discover the same tick documented in jweems10 video. Calling the dealership.:mad:

Felix

#98 ·
Mine was delivered June 2, 2010. No tick whatsoever. The motor purrs in every situation. However, I did have the crazy clutch problems, but this isn't the poll for that. I'm up to 8500km (almost 5300mi) and no problems. I'm driving it through the snow and cold of winter as well. (I had planned on buying a winter vehicle but I decided to go back to school instead).

#102 ·
possible exhaust leak

Hey Gents,

I think the ticking noise you all are referring to could possibly be an exhaust leak caused by the A.C. dripping on to the manifold. This has been a long time running problem with the mustangs and was once fixed by placing a by pass piece of plastic to divert the water away. Has any that has this problem tried looking under their hoods at night?

#106 ·
The ticking is a bad lifter.
Mine was the first one in the country fixed in June last year. Ford replaced all the drivers side lifters. Problem gone.

DO NOT allow an incompetent service department to use any additives at ALL.

My car was handled properly at Classic Ford in Mentor, Ohio.

They simply had a run on bad lifters in random builds - and it didnt show up, until the cars were completely warmed up after production, and sitting at dealers already.

Get YOUR Ford dealer to read the bulletins.

#116 ·
Is this the infamous tick?

YouTube - 5.0 tick.MOV

Loudest from the passenger wheel well
no. thats the other exhaust leak sound thats a tensioner or something. Or whatever that b tech from jersey was saying a fix may be coming out for sometime. Read a few threads up from here. Think mine has the same sound. hear during startup. Open the hood and really dont hear it. When I do hear it I keep going over the pass side behind the front wheel and stick my head under there and hear it.

#118 ·
I don't know if it's been brought up but previous versions of the modular engines the oil paths were from the front of the left head and back of the right head. The Coyote is the first version to feed both heads from the front. Is it possible that the valvtrains on the rear of the head aren't getting sufficient lubrication when the engine is cold or at low rpm idle?

#119 ·
400 miles and i recently got the 5.0 back from the dealer. Had a few concerns, some answered some not. Tranny noise, and some diff ticks i was concerned about.

Needless to say the dealer says its a "characteristic of the car". So i had posted a video a few days back where you can hear the exhaust tick coming from the front passenger wheel well.
I had the dealer start up 3 different brand new 5.0 and they all had the same exact exhaust tick. All loudest from the passenger wheel well. I firmly belive this is just a normal characteristic of the vehicle now.

When I returned home i popped the hood and was listening......and what do u know. The ignitor tick has found its way into my brand New 500 mile 5.0

A few thoughts on this. Since I have noticed it, it has gotten a little bit quieter (i hope).

So im sitting here thinking about how prevalent this problem is. I would probly have never noticed this isuue if I had not found the related video looking for somthing different.

Im willing to bet alot more 5.0 owners are plauged of this issue than we think. If i never would have leaned into my engine bay to listen and try to isolate this noise i never would have noticed it.

So, next time you take a drive and return home pop the hood before you turn her off and listen closely to the right valve cover twords the rear two cylinders and see if you hear anything.

Im prayin that this really is a break in issue.

I guess well find out in a few years.

#121 ·
Cids,

Ignitor tick is there but quieter than the gentlemans car in video earlier on in the thread. Sounds like someone is knocking or tapping on the right rear two cylinders. Happens intermittently and follows an irregular pattern that does not correspond to valvetrain noise.

Has anyone had any luck getting rid of the ignitor tick with a diff tune?

G
#122 ·
Hi guys,

This is Deysha with Ford Customer Service. I’d like to look into this further for you. I recommend you guys bring your vehicle in to your Ford dealership for diagnosis. Then send me your mileage, VIN, dealer and contact info to see how I can help.

Deysha

#124 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hello, I have an '11 5.0.
It had 1723 miles on it this morning.
My wife works at the Ford delaership where I bought my car.
I decided it was time for the 1st dreaded oil change.
I started the car this morning. Made my wife listen to the engine run.
It was very smooth and quiet.
Today an oil change and it has valvetrain noises out of both heads. I could hear them as soon as she drove it into the driveway. A constant "tick-tick-tick-tick-tick" very noticeable to me. It gets faster with the engines rpm range.
It has another noise out of the right side of the engine. An intermittent deeper sounding "tick tick..tick" every 5-6 seconds.
The car now has 1756 miles on it.
My first new car ever and the fun is going away with all of the issues creeping-up.
Thanks for any replies or help, AW.

this car has way to much wheel hop too.
especially when I am told by the dealer service manager that up grading the rear control arms to something like steedas stuff will void the warranty.
convieniently now ford racing sells the tune that the car should come with for 300 plus dollars and of course that will void the warranty too
but change the oil take care of your new car and enjoy all of the extra issues for free!!!
as it becomes something you want to sell.

This post has been deleted
#127 ·
Something else to look forward to then...my car has rough shifting now...paint has drips all over the hood...and now I might be one of the 'lucky' and get a tick ....

What does Ford have to say about this 'tick' is it pretty wide spread or is it in the minority? What do techs and service departments say about the tick?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.