Ford Mustang Forum - View Single Post - 98 v6 making loud ticking noise - gets louder when accelerating.
View Single Post
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-14-2010
SuperPonylover
Apprentice

Send a message via Yahoo to SuperPonylover
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa72465 View Post
Thanks for the advice, but my problem isn't related to the exhaust. I paid to have it inspected once, and then when I had it smogged 3-4 months ago, it passed with flying colors. (That is, I'm assuming that even with a ticking noise, a vehicle can still pass smog). Starting to wish it was a problem with the exhaust tho!
Hi Lisa... Currently I'm going through the same problem. I suspect I have a leak on my exhaust manifold. I understand you did all that testing... so I'm not gonna insist, I'm not sure it's my problem either. But seems like FORD goofed a liiiiiiittle bit with the welds on the 232 engine stock headers. I'm not looking at replacing anything at this point because I too am in a big college debt and have bills to pay. So, SPIRIT (my little V6 pony) has to bear with me a little longer.

I've used LUCAS, I have used SEAFOAM. The Lucas makes it a little better but then I hear valve clapping. CLEARLY! I know valve clapping... trust me. So, that X's out my leak. BUT! When I accelerate, I hear a hissing noise that seems to go faster at higher RPMs. Something like a sh-sh-sh, but only noticeable to the fine ear. I don't know much about cars, but my transmission is having problems and my engine is doing that. I thought about tackling it down myself, but don't have another ride... and I need SPIRIT to get to and from work. It's a daily driver. Update us where you are so far with the diagnostics, and I will definitely keep in touch and let you know what I've done.
Best of luck!

~Mr. Garcia
"Sometimes the true power of a machine is not measured in horsepower"
~MUSTANG POV '10 Unleash Program

-SPIRIT, The Unbridled White MUSTANG
facebook.com/
aMUSTANGstory

"Drive what you build, build what you love, love what you drive."

You could say: "I SPENT A LOT ON MY MUSTANG" but it will never mean:
"I WORKED DAY AND NIGHT TO MAKE IT RUN AND ROAR THE WAY IT DOES NOW."
-Garcia

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome