Ford Mustang Forum - View Single Post - Transmission problem
View Single Post
post #13 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2011
Silver J
GT Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty&jennifer View Post
I just went through the same thing with the plastic plug in the pan while I was doing a strainer & fluid change on my daughters car. I am not finished yet because of the rain. She has been having a problem with her third gear shifting. Did it help your third gear? And thanks to those who explained the plug ordeal. It was very helpful for those of us that don't normally mess with transmissions.
Shifting is usually indicated by which gear to which gear, like 2-3 shift (2nd gear to 3rd gear upshift) or 3-2 shift (3rd to 2nd gear downshift). So which shift is she having problems with?

Also, problems with one shift are most likely NOT due to the fluid or filter. The internals of the transmission are responsible for the shifts, so it's possible that a band, spring, or other piece is worn out. Again, if you find out which shift(s) is bad, we can help you trouble shoot. :smoke:

Best advice: finish the filter & fluid change, put it back together and see if the problem persists.

FLASH = 98 V6, chrome yellow, black & blue accents, 146k daily driver
POWER: divorced exhaust with glasspacks; BBK CAI, TB, UDPs; (shift kit in the garage)
STYLE: black headlights, black taillights, black grille, black hood pins, black window tint, blue hood & side scoops, blue billet fuel door, interior billet, 12000k HIDs
RIMS: XXR 006 black spoke with blue lip; 18x8.5 front, 18x9.5 rear
TIRES: BFG KDW/2 245/40R18 front, 275/35R18 rear

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome