Ford Mustang Forum - View Single Post - Baby Pony Brake Light Switch and Shift Lock Actuator problems
View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-23-2011 Thread Starter
BabyPony2003
Rookie
V6 Member

Unhappy Baby Pony Brake Light Switch and Shift Lock Actuator problems

I have been dealing with an issue involving the brake light switch and shift lock actuator. A little history first. About 4 months ago I lost all my brake lights and got a ticket in the process. I located a changed the blown fuse and thought my problem was fixed. Unfortunately that was just the beginning. So, I made some calls and the consensus was a short in the wiring. Being an average Do-it Yourself'er, I began the task of what was to become a learning process. With the 2003 Mustang 3.8L in pieces and after 5 hours of testing wires, bulbs, switches and connections, I located the cause. The brake switch fuse had blown, but in my owners manual it is referred to as the shift lock actuator. I replace the fuse, issue solved. Last night I find that my brake lights are out once again. Thinking I know where the problem lies, I start with the fuses. Not so quick say's the car gods. I find that the pigtail connector for the brake switch is melted and you know that's not good. I do the jumper thing on the switch and it works. I get in the car and now I can't move the gear shifter out of park, with or without my foot on the brake. I replaced the switch today with a new one and I still have the problem. Can't get it out of park, I have no brake lights again and no power windows either. Any help with this issue would be helpful and appreciated.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome