Ford Mustang Forum banner

Cutting the Dash for a Radio in a Classic Mustang

24K views 46 replies 21 participants last post by  Cobra6 
#1 ·
Ok,
Most of you guys problably would never cut your dash for a single DIN radio. My wife and I decided its time to do surgery. Dual knob radios are just not cutting it. What is the best way to cut the hole with precision?

#2 ·
Please don't cut the dash! There are other ways to get better tunes in your stang...solutions that are even better than a single din radio. I'd look into a modern unit that fits the dash from a place like Classic Car Audio. One with an iPod port. Then I'd wire it up so the ipod can connect in the glove compartment.

If you're really hell bent on cutting that hole, there really isn't a sure-fire way to do it with precision. If you're just a little off, the radio will be crooked or the part that holds the radio in will be loose. There also isn't a way to dress the cut properly. The curve of the dash prevents any modern trim plate from sitting flush. You will definitely see the cut from both sides.

The PO cut my dash and I wish I could've stopped him. My radio is tight in the slot, but, like I mentioned, I can see the cut where the dash curves.

#6 · (Edited by Moderator)
I got the under dash ac and the center console space is tight. So you guys get an idea why I want to cut:
YouTube - JVC KD-AVX77 (kdavx77) DVD Receiver Part 2: iPod Video and DVD Playback.

Please don't cut the dash! There are other ways to get better tunes in your stang...solutions that are even better than a single din radio. I'd look into a modern unit that fits the dash from a place like Classic Car Audio. One with an iPod port. Then I'd wire it up so the ipod can connect in the glove compartment.

If you're really hell bent on cutting that hole, there really isn't a sure-fire way to do it with precision. If you're just a little off, the radio will be crooked or the part that holds the radio in will be loose. There also isn't a way to dress the cut properly. The curve of the dash prevents any modern trim plate from sitting flush. You will definitely see the cut from both sides.

The PO cut my dash and I wish I could've stopped him. My radio is tight in the slot, but, like I mentioned, I can see the cut where the dash curves.
Can you send a pic of the sides?

#3 ·
Don't do it, don't do it, don't do it.......and in case I forgot to mention, don't do it. There are plenty of shaft style radios out there with all the amenities of a DIN syle unit. MP3, iPOD, USB, SD cards, remotes, pre-amps etc, etc, etc. Check them out first, then DON'T DO IT!

Amazon.com: PYLE PLR22MPF AM/FM-MPX MP3 Playback with USB/SD/AUX-In: Electronics

This is just one good example......plenty more out there.

#4 ·
I would be happy to show you what I did if you want to email me, I will take some pics. joninsacto@sbcglobal.net I will send you some pics of how mine is set up. I basically have my stock am radio in the dash & I have a console mounted under my dash that houses my aftermarket din radio. It works good & lokks good too plus I still have my stock radio. It is not wired up but you can almost have the stock radio work independantly & the aftermarket stereo totally seperazte.

#5 ·
Please take this with the utmost respect, as I am the next owner of a previous owner who decided to hack the dash. Four words: PLEASE DON'T DO IT. I have installed a USA-230 with IPOD connection. I have a powered subwoofer in the trunk under the package tray and four Rockford Fozgate speakers in the kick panels and package tray and it sounds fantastic. If you look in the interior it all appears stock. I made a center console to hold my IPOD and a few drinks so I don't have to go fishing in the glove compartment for the IPOD.

If you don't want to go that route Custon AutoSound has a hidden radio that is awesome as well. I installed one in a '63 Lincoln with a 10-disc changer and another powered subwoofer. I didn't have to cut the dash there either. Awesome sound, stock look. The days of hacking the dash are over and remember it is only original once.

#7 ·
I would buy the radio i want make a temple for the size center it over the opening you have market it and cut it.When you cut it cut it under sized and slowly trim it out tell the radio that fits great.Most are anti cut the dash but to me i rather have a good radio i have cut the dash on older trucks before.In the glove box or under the dash are hard to read and use while driving.The special radios that fit the stock size hole are high priced and suck for what you get vs price of it.

#8 ·
I agree with the rest of the guys, Don't cut it. My car's interior is perfect except for the fact the the PO cut the dash. What an idiot.
I mean it's a classic car, as long as you have music and can hear the radio why muck things up?:nono:

#9 ·
Hey Canyon, Thanks for the link, I have been looking for the old Knob style radio. Unfortunately, that unit is not in stock and they don't know if it ever will be. Not to mention, I'd like a better unit to start with. Somewhere in the 100-200$ range. Can you give us some other examples besides the retro old-look radios by Classic Car audio and the like? I refuse to pay sooo much for the "old look" when a newer knob style radio looks just fine.

I, ,too, refuse to cut the dash. Don't do it. :bigthumbsup

#10 ·
Its your car. if your car is not being restored to stock finish it how you want it. if the next owner is so hell bent on having an original looking dash, they sell replacement sheetmetal sections for this area and they will then have the option of putting it back to stock. for me it is the same as an aftermarket hood, or anything else that changes the car from original. yes my car has an aftermarket din sized stereo in the dash. it is an am fm cassette from years ago it folds up and looks like a radio delete panel when the power is off. I have a six disk cd changer in the trunk. I also have a custom center console in which I have an am fm dvd with a 7 inch pop out screen and a 10 disk dvd changer in the console. this is an old picture, my new dvd player in the console is all black and matches better. I do not regret cutting the dash at all. I used a cut off wheel, a hack saw and dremel to get it done.

Attachments

#19 ·
First, it is your car and you have every right to do what you want. But as the owner of an early 65 vert that someone else cut the dash on, it is the one thing that has been the most disappointing in the entire rest-mod. The available knob radios, modern versions, sound just as good as the modern DIN ones do. Amplification, speakers and speaker placement (staging) are far more important to what you will perceive as a good sound than the radio.

Besides, you are a lucky man to own a car approaching its 50th birthday and it has not been cut. Your call, but I would ask you to think about perceiving one of the few remaining uncut classics.

I end with, we will all still love you, no matter what you decide.

#14 ·
go for it, and no you won't regret it because when the next new thing comes up and you want a new stereo it will still likely be a din sized stereo and these other stereos will have to make work around's to make this work like they do with the ipod adapter. for me it is like everything else on my car it is done to suit me. if someone else likes it that is cool, if they don't... well it is not there car so too bad for them. I have said it before on this forum it is your car if you build it to suit you, you will always be happy with it, if you build it to suit some future buyer then chances are you will not.

my license plate says it all as far as I'm concerned.

65 myway

#15 ·
I agree that it's your car and you should do what you want with it. But cutting the dash is different than changing the hood...or most other metal modifications. The dash is welded into the car...and it's not reproduced (at least that I know of). If you cut it, it will never be the same. Even with a repair panel. If you cut the hood, you can always replace the hood. Not so with the dash. And it's something that will stare you in the face whenever you're behind the wheel. If the cut doesn't work out right, it'll be a big eyesore. My car is under a cover right now, but I'll try and take a few pics of the side view of where the trim plate stands away from the curved dash.

#20 ·
Custom autosound is high priced and crap.My step dad had one in his 55 chevy it lasted a year before it died.And it really sounded like crap too kinda like a cheap alarm clock.The sony din size he replaced it with still sounds amazing after 4 years.250 bucks for the custom autosound that lastest a year his sony was 120 and still working 4 years later.

#22 ·
Well it sounds like your going to cut it. :weeps

Just be gentle!:winks

#25 ·
Would be interested in seeing final product. Someone down the line alreasy drilled a couple of holes to fit a different 2 knob radio. Instead of putting a patch panel I figured I might as well cut it for a new style radio. If it was not cut I would have went the custom autosound route - have that in my 1970 and I fine with it.

#26 ·
If it was not cut I would have went the custom autosound route -
I would never (and I know that is a long time) recommend a Custom Autosound solution for anyone.

If you have a unit that works, I would also recommend buying lottery tickets immediately.

#28 ·
first of all I apologize to the op of this thread. you did not ask our opinion on what we thought of cutting the dash only how we did it. I offered that info in my first post but since then this thread has devolved into people debating whether or not it should be done.

secondly I will answer the question posed by cobra above. no I have not tried to place one of these panels nor do I intend to try. I feel no desire at all to put a stock style radio back in my car just as I have no desire to put the stock wheels, engine, seats, hood, transmission rearend or any of the other things I have done to my car. I modified my dash because I wanted it that way. I like it that way. If you do not good for you that your car is not modified. I find only one thing on these forums that really gets my blood up, and that is other people trying to impress there view of how to build someone else's car. If someone asks your opinion yes feel free to offer it. if someone asks for advise on how to do something that advise is welcome. I do not feel it is mine or anyone elses place to tell another owner what to do with their cars. I began modifying my car back in the early 80's when I first got it and it was just an old car. since then I have faced the purists who could not believe anyone would not want their car restored to perfect stock condition, then gradually the restomod craze came around and some modifications became mainstream and acceptable. while for some unknown reason this one has not. I have always done what I want with my car and I will continue to do so. I posted that the panel was available to point out only that this could be replaced if someone wanted to badly enough. personally I have absolutely no desire to do so.

again to the op I apologize for politicizing this thread and I will not comment on it again if you would like some help on this topic feel free to pm me.

#29 ·
first of all I apologize to the op of this thread. you did not ask our opinion on what we thought of cutting the dash only how we did it. I offered that info in my first post but since then this thread has devolved into people debating whether or not it should be done.

secondly I will answer the question posed by cobra above. no I have not tried to place one of these panels nor do I intend to try. I feel no desire at all to put a stock style radio back in my car just as I have no desire to put the stock wheels, engine, seats, hood, transmission rearend or any of the other things I have done to my car. I modified my dash because I wanted it that way. I like it that way. If you do not good for you that your car is not modified. I find only one thing on these forums that really gets my blood up, and that is other people trying to impress there view of how to build someone else's car. If someone asks your opinion yes feel free to offer it. if someone asks for advise on how to do something that advise is welcome. I do not feel it is mine or anyone elses place to tell another owner what to do with their cars. I began modifying my car back in the early 80's when I first got it and it was just an old car. since then I have faced the purists who could not believe anyone would not want their car restored to perfect stock condition, then gradually the restomod craze came around and some modifications became mainstream and acceptable. while for some unknown reason this one has not. I have always done what I want with my car and I will continue to do so. I posted that the panel was available to point out only that this could be replaced if someone wanted to badly enough. personally I have absolutely no desire to do so.

again to the op I apologize for politicizing this thread and I will not comment on it again if you would like some help on this topic feel free to pm me.
I wouldnt applogize. We are all big boys. I am sure we can make up our own minds. I always welcome criticism with an open mind.

#30 ·
I am wrestling with the same issue because we are going to install a big system this spring.
What we have bought:
6.5 up front and 6x9 in the back powered by (4 Ch) 1000 watt amp
Two 12 inch subs powered by a separate (2 Ch) 1000 watt amp

The head unit is a DIN unit with HD FM/ CD and an Ipod input.

We made the decision to Restomod and I have made lots of changes that I think are for the better. I respect the 100 point purist point of view and appreciate the effort that is put into thier cars.

I dont think reaching over to the glovebox is safe to change the channel but might consider fabricating something under the dash. I am probably going to cut mine and make it a DIN opening though

Parts list and a few pictures Stereo

Good Luck and BE Safe
Ron

#32 ·
I am wrestling with the same issue because we are going to install a big system this spring.
What we have bought:
6.5 up front and 6x9 in the back powered by (4 Ch) 1000 watt amp
Two 12 inch subs powered by a separate (2 Ch) 1000 watt amp

The head unit is a DIN unit with HD FM/ CD and an Ipod input.

We made the decision to Restomod and I have made lots of changes that I think are for the better. I respect the 100 point purist point of view and appreciate the effort that is put into thier cars.

I dont think reaching over to the glovebox is safe to change the channel but might consider fabricating something under the dash. I am probably going to cut mine and make it a DIN opening though

Parts list and a few pictures Stereo

Good Luck and BE Safe
Ron
The thing that sucks in my case is I got air conditioning under the dash. There is no where to put another radio. The glove box is silly in my opinion.

#31 ·
I say cut away and enjoy your new sounds...:bigthumbsup

#33 ·
I'm dealing with this exact same issue. But, here is something for you to think about. The original dash insert is made of metal and yes, it will be dificult if not impossible to get it just right. So, why not buy the dash insert that is made for DIN radio. They run around a 100.00 and you can keep the original for a later retro look if you want. Here's a link to one. Good luck.

1971 - 73 Mustang Black Bezel (Classic Car Audio - KH71-73MUSBEZEL) - Classic Car Audio, Car Stereo & Audio, Automotive - nuLime.com

#34 ·
That radio bezel is for a 71-73 car.The 64-66 cars the radio is up high in the dash and the hole is in the metal part of the dash.67-73 ford moved the radio lower with a bezel around it those are easy to mount a din size in a 64-66 you have to cut the dash to fit a din size in the factory spot.

#35 ·
man, alot of people really hate the idea of you cutting that dash lol... i actuallly did this as well, and the only reason i did cut it was that the previous owner had allready cut it a little bit to fit the radio they had installed (which was a tape deck that didnt work at all any more). so i figured what the heck, i can cut an extra inch out of what they allready did, no harm..

what i did was i made a template of the size of my radio harness out of cardboard, and centered it on my dash, leveled it, and traced it. then i cut it with a dremel tool with the cutting disc on it.. it worked great and looks nice in the car too!

whatever you decide to do, good luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.