Ford Mustang Forum - View Single Post - Is the "red-line" real or conservative?
View Single Post
post #18 of (permalink) Old 02-21-2011
Radioguy
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricter55 View Post
I have heard that to avoid/prevent engine damage that the car makers fudge the "red-line" by lowering it slightly? In other words, the engine can readily tolerate the occasional momentary venture into this range of rpms. How dangerous is it that my car shifts in the red-line zone at WOT? It doesn't stay there long, but the shift takes place in the red-line even with my BAMA street tunes. :?:
While the engine certainly sees much higher forces as the RPM are increased, transmission is also subject to increased forces when the engine RPM is increased. Ford uses the 6R80 transmission in other vehicles, including the F-150 with several engines. In that appliocation Ford says:
"Ford says the 6R80 has been through 150,000 equivalent miles of testing cycles that reflect the most extreme-use customers, and the box itself is rated up to 7,000 rpm and the fluid is filled for life."

See: Compact Equipment Online - Purpose Driven

So it isn't only the engine that can be subjected to extreme forces when the engine RPM begin to exceed the red-line.

2013 Mustang GT Premium Convertible
Candy Apple Red, Auto, FRPP Tune, GT500 Axlebacks, KONI Yellow Sport (adjustable dampers), FRPP Front and Rear swaybars, Custom Removable 4 Point Roll-Bar, BOSS 302 Low Expansion Brake Lines, Roush side splitters, GT500 spoiler, Redline Tuning hood struts,18" Ford Chromed Aluminum Wheels (9R3Z-1K007-A), Michelin Pilot Super Sports - 235X50X18
2011 Mustang V6 Premium Convertible - Gone

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome