Thread: Short Shifters
View Single Post
post #20 of (permalink) Old 10-13-2011
willyg1997
GT Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPeace-ATL View Post
I find it interesting that the PRO-5.0 people created this need for positive stops on their shifters to "protect" the forks and prevent over-shifting to sell more shifters and everyone believes it to the point it is all over the internet and on every forum everywhere!

If one tears down a T-5, T-45, or a TR3650 they will find a positive stop already in the transmission... The shift rail can only travel so far!

Mis-adjusted aftermarket stops have damaged a lot of transmissions by not allowing them to fully engage the gears.

Now, aftermarket shifters are great! They have a much better feel and they help you to not miss that 2-3 shift at the strip!

So, DO get an aftermarket shifter, but my recommendation is to throw the stop bolts away! They do nothing but cause trouble!

Ok, my reply was what my trany builder told me, so i just passed it on, wight or wrong.

If this is the case you need to expand on the fit-form-function of the internal stop to the group to help give us a better understanding on how the internal stop actully work and why we should toss the stop bolts.

When i pulled mine apart i noticed an "L" shape bracket conectiin the upper and lower rails, is this the internal stop?

Can the internal stop wear enough to cause any over shifting?

How/why are we breaking shift forks?

Are they weak, and is there an stronger aftermarket fork that can be installed?

When shifting with the stock shifter after it engages into gear why is there so much more travel on the shifter? where is it going?

For me i like the positive stop bolts to help the fealing of hitting the gear.

Mods = None. (well maybe just a few)
DB-Performance Tune: 634rwhp @ 6000rpm , 609rwtq @ 4000rpm, (500rwtq @ 2500rpm)

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome