Ford Mustang Forum - View Single Post - Help - my stereo is disappointing in 2012 Mustang CS
View Single Post
post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-22-2011
GoT midlife CS
GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerryyf View Post
Well, my 2012 CS convertible finally arrived and it is a beaut!!! The only disappointment thus far appears to be the stereo. When you turn up the volume past half there is considerable distortion which is not cool. I had considered upgrading to the Shaker 1000 but decided against it after reading some of the posts in this forum. Unfortunately, my system does not appear to have sufficient power to play tunes at a reasonable level when riding with the top down. So, my questions are: (1) could I get a Ford upgrade to the Shaker 1000 now and is it much better, or (2) can I get an aftermarket amp which would boost the power and give the system a much purer sound. If I could do it over again I would have paid the $1,000 for the upgrade, but, looking for some solutions now. Thanks.
The only difference between the 500 and the 1000 is the two additional subs and amp in the trunk. The rest of the system will sound the exact same. At a minimum to improve the sound you will need to upgrade front 5x7 speakers and add a new amp, and add a sub or subs in the trunk with a minimum 500watts. when the top is down the subs in the trunk become far less effective than with the top up. Having a separate remote gain for the sub amp becomes important for tuning the volume between top up and top down. you will need one LOC to get the sub signal from the amp in the drivers front kick panel and another one to get the signal from the front speakers in the amp in the trunk.

2012 GT CS Ingot Silver Vert, Edelbrock E-force supercharger with CAI and 3.5 Pulley, Tremec T-56 Mag, Accufab 84.5, Centerforce DF, Billet Yoke aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.73 Rear, MRT Performance H-pipe, Bassani axle backs, JL Audio sound, Edelbrock strut tower brace, JPC adjustable UCA, UMI adjustable panhard bar, KW V3 coilovers, Steeda heavy duty front mounts, Steeda rear LCA's, 20" Steeda Spyders with Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Steeda Big Brake Kit ....... it just keeps going.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome