View Single Post
post #17 of (permalink) Old 01-25-2012
V6 Cannonballer
SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by V6FTW View Post

Apparently, the top speed on the new V6's is 113 and at 135+ the drive train will fail causing immediate engine failure.
No. I've had mine at 140 over a sustained distance of several miles and at 130 at least a dozen or more times, running uphill on a 6% grade over a distance of nearly a mile at a time. She's still solid as a rock, no matter how many times I do this.

I saw a video someone posted of their V6 blowing apart between 135-140, but I also noticed something else: they kept that poor thing wound up around 6K RPM the whole time.

I was in 5th gear at around 4,500-4,700 RPM @ 140 (back when I had the 2.73's). I wasn't winding the dog snot out of it. The 3.55's put me at near the same RPM's in 6th.

Sure, you can rev up to 6K-7.5K all you want for maybe a second or two between shifts on quick sprints, but don't keep your pony wound up there in Alpha Zone while you're screaming down the freeway. There's a right way and a wrong way to do anything.

If you want to test top speed, then be as safe as possible but don't fear an automatic explosion. Just use some good sense.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome