Ford Mustang Forum - View Single Post - 2012 V6 Mustang Top Speed
View Single Post
post #19 of (permalink) Old 01-25-2012
Radioguy
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by V6 Cannonballer View Post
No. I've had mine at 140 over a sustained distance of several miles and at 130 at least a dozen or more times, running uphill on a 6% grade over a distance of nearly a mile at a time. She's still solid as a rock, no matter how many times I do this.

I saw a video someone posted of their V6 blowing apart between 135-140, but I also noticed something else: they kept that poor thing wound up around 6K RPM the whole time.

I was in 5th gear at around 4,500-4,700 RPM @ 140 (back when I had the 2.73's). I wasn't winding the dog snot out of it. The 3.55's put me at near the same RPM's in 6th.

Sure, you can rev up to 6K-7.5K all you want for maybe a second or two between shifts on quick sprints, but don't keep your pony wound up there in Alpha Zone while you're screaming down the freeway. There's a right way and a wrong way to do anything.

If you want to test top speed, then be as safe as possible but don't fear an automatic explosion. Just use some good sense.
You may want to remember that 6th gear is an "overdrive." That means the driveshaft RPM is higher then the motor RPM.

I spoke to a Ford "tech guy" at the Barrett-Jackson auction in Phoenix last week. He was very clear that the 2011 V6 speed limiter was there to protect the drive-shaft. Lots of things will work "some of the time." In Ford's case, the drive-shaft has to work "every time." Thus, the limiter.

2013 Mustang GT Premium Convertible
Candy Apple Red, Auto, FRPP Tune, GT500 Axlebacks, KONI Yellow Sport (adjustable dampers), FRPP Front and Rear swaybars, Custom Removable 4 Point Roll-Bar, BOSS 302 Low Expansion Brake Lines, Roush side splitters, GT500 spoiler, Redline Tuning hood struts,18" Ford Chromed Aluminum Wheels (9R3Z-1K007-A), Michelin Pilot Super Sports - 235X50X18
2011 Mustang V6 Premium Convertible - Gone

Last edited by Radioguy; 01-25-2012 at 11:12 PM. Reason: spell

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome