Ford Mustang Forum - View Single Post - 2005 Mustang GT Shaker 1000 Audio Sys.
View Single Post
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-03-2012
Humbone
Apprentice
4.6L Member
S197 Member

I am looking to upgrade my Shaker 1000 head unit also. My main reason revolves around Sat Radio, as I live in the middle of no-where. I have looked into decently priced aftermarket options; the one Im leaning towards is the Kenwood DDX319, which is very similar to the DDX318 (link below) but is also Sat Radio ready. I weighed in Complexity of the unit (I dont want something so complex, I cant use easily on the road), Cost (dont want a dollar store bargain, nor will I spend more on my radio than my car insurance), and lastly if it looks good, is durable, and has the functions I wanted (Sat radio).

The issue I am running into with most aftermarket head units is although many of the 2 Din Decks I find attractive hover around the $400.00 - $500.00 range, the required "upgraded" 1000w Shaker wiring harness (so Ive been told by several places - not sure why) costs about 200.00, instead of the regular 30 - 40 bucks.

Pick the brains of the guys here, but in your down time head over to a car audio specific shop, and see whats out there. That should provide you with an opportunity to check out a few units hands on. At least the install for our S197 is real easy, and shouldnt take more than an hour.

Kenwood DDX318 DVD Receiver

Hope this helped.

"A veteran is someone who, at some point in his life, wrote a cheque payable to 'my country' for the amount of 'upto and including my life'. "

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome