Ford Mustang Forum - View Single Post - 3.7L V6 ping on hard acceleration
View Single Post
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-10-2012
Radioguy
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by car.fixated View Post
Hey all.

I know I have seen this discussed before, but I cannot find how to do a forum-specific search within this group. So sorry, at the risk of repeating:

1,600 miles on my new 2012 V6. Bone stock original. Running 89 octane (87 first fillup, 89 since then).

I am getting a tapping or pinging on hard acceleration. Goes with engine speed. Only time I hear it is acceleration. I am guessing it is "knocking" as we used to call it. Only on my old, OLD cars with iron engines it sounded a LOT different. This pinging is much more quiet and higher pitched.

I have read on the forum before someone said that the ECU should be able to sense and account for pre-ignition and knocking regardless of octane used, and adjust accordingly to alleviate it. Does not seem to be happening. (My Nissan V6 does, and does it very well.)

Any thoughts? See the dealer? Much appreciated!

Thanks.
If this has persisted over more than two tanks of fuel, just take it to the dealer. Pinging should not happen - by the way it usually sounds like a very loud rattle. Not sure about the sounds you are describing. If it just started, you might have gotten a particularly bad tank of fuel - it can happen if fuel delivery truck had just delivered diesel and did not flush the truck before loading gas. Earlier comment is correct. ECU has the ability to do significant adjusting of spark timing (on the fly) if the two engine "knock sensors" detect engine knock.

2013 Mustang GT Premium Convertible
Candy Apple Red, Auto, FRPP Tune, GT500 Axlebacks, KONI Yellow Sport (adjustable dampers), FRPP Front and Rear swaybars, Custom Removable 4 Point Roll-Bar, BOSS 302 Low Expansion Brake Lines, Roush side splitters, GT500 spoiler, Redline Tuning hood struts,18" Ford Chromed Aluminum Wheels (9R3Z-1K007-A), Michelin Pilot Super Sports - 235X50X18
2011 Mustang V6 Premium Convertible - Gone

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome