Ford Mustang Forum - View Single Post - Audio upgrades for 2008 Mustang GT Coupe with Shaker 500
View Single Post
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-07-2012
alleymad95GT
GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheatie View Post
OK, I've heard the advice to replace the head unit from numerous sources. The Shaker head has the capabilities I need, though. I don't want navigation or a touch screen. The iPod interface capabilities of the Shaker are sufficient. I don't know the last time I used a CD for anything other than ripping into iTunes, so the "skipper" attributes won't be noticed.

Is the sound quality from a $200 head unit noticeable better than the shaker? Realizing that a $200 head unit also needs another $65 PAC C2R-FRD1 and a non-trivial amount of extra work to get installed. Or, is that adapter even needed? The 08 GT doesn't have steering wheel controls, so the ONLY thing a replacement head unit offers is better sound quality. Does it really do that?
YES. The quality is far better. Especially if you are going to be adding high-end stuff like it appears you are - Infinity, JL - that stuff won't work to its potential with a Ford factory radio...

If you don't want to change the head unit, you don't have to - but, I wouldn't splurge on a JL amp unless I did change it - just go to Best Buy or eBay and buy a cheapy brand amp to run off the speaker level inputs...

Matt

2006 GT - Vortech polished w/ intercooler, Eibach suspension, Hurst short-throw, some other goodies - tuned by Paul's High Performance. It moves...

and it collects dust admirably while parked for repairs in the garage...

SOLD - 1995 Black Mustang GT, AODE. Loved it, but I had to let it go...

mjmalegalsolutions.com

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome