Ford Mustang Forum - View Single Post - Audio upgrades for 2008 Mustang GT Coupe with Shaker 500
View Single Post
post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-07-2012 Thread Starter
Wheatie
Rookie

I've been reasonably content with the factory sound in my 2000 Xterra. That Camry has spoiled me, though. Its just the factory system, but the sound is really good. I didn't really even consider the sound in the Mustang. I test drove something like 16 cars (OK, four of them were different Mustangs) and most of them were totally boring. The Mustang was a late and very different consideration than the others, but I was hooked. So no regrets (other than I'd have liked the Candy Apple Red rather than Silver.)

But listening to the Shaker is just dissatisfying. I even parked it and Camry side by side and listed to the same songs. Its just not the same. I don't know enough to pinpoint what's different, but the sound in the Camry is much better. And I'd like better sound in the Mustang, even as much as I like the sound of the Mustang itself.

I do have a (second) inquiry into Crutchfield. Their first recommendation for a head unit, the Kenwood Excelon KDC-X496 gets bad remarks for complicated controls. I hate to pester them too much. I might buy the head unit from them but almost everything else is available elsewhere for 60% of their prices or less.

I think between you guys and a buddy here I will get a new head unit. The same buddy just offered me a set of JL Audio gear. A e4300 amp, a 1000/1v2 amp and two 10W6v2-4 subs for $1000. They're about 10 years old (one of the boxes has a 2002 date), but they were only used for a year and have been in storage since then in the original boxes. Seems overkill and more than I wanted to spend, though.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome