Ford Mustang Forum - View Single Post - Protect your lower valance from rocks!
View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2012 Thread Starter
blowndeadline
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Protect your lower valance from rocks!

So I purchased a BOSS/CS Front valance for the GT bumper I got off of Craigslist. Everything installed looking great, even got the fogs! Yay for me . . .
Well, not 2 weeks later I noticed a nice chunk out of the valance from a rock. It didn't crack it, just a nice gouge. So, needless to say I was kinda pissed, just spent $360 or so for the nice new valance now it's scarred for life.

So, started thinking, if they make a clear vinyl mask for pretty much every car why not a textured black vinyl to protect valances?? did some searching and I think I found something that works. The texture is pretty much a perfect match for the valance texture. The color is 99% perfect. Standing in front of the car you can't tell which part is protected and which is not. I have a couple photos so you can get an idea of what I'm talking about. I made patterns for the Boss/CS valance. It will cover the center portion, sides under the fog lights and the very corner of each side. I plan on making a patter for the stock GT valance as well as the V6, see if I can gauge some interest in protecting the Mustang front valances. I don't happen to have a Shelby laying around so might be hard to make a pattern for it. I do have a V6 bumper and valance, GT valance and Boss/CS valance so making patterns won't be too hard.

I tested the stuff on the V6 bumper. Had to first clean the area where the vinyl is applied with Goo-Gone, then Dawn dish soap to make sure absolutely nothing was going to hinder adhesion. So far so good! Testing it for a week or so on the valance on my car, see how it holds up. it's been 90+ degrees here for last few days and I do some 70 MPH+ highway driving everyday so I'll keep everyone posted!

Now for the pictures. Let me know what you guys think and if it would be something you may be interested in.

I need to tweak the pattern just a little but it's pretty much perfect and will fit the contour of the valance.

Thanks!

2011 SG Mustang Premium V6, MCA Edition, 3:31 Gears, 6 MT, Reverse Camera.
Steeda CAI, BAMA Tuned SCT, GT Fascia, Boss/CS Valance, Boss Front Splitter, Saleen Grille, Roush Splitters, GT500 Rear Valance, Roush AB, Black GT500 Wheels (18x10 Rear/18x9 Front), GT Front Brakes, Eibach Sportlines, Eibach Adj LCAs, J&M Adj. Panhard Bar, Steeda STB, Grabber Pony SG Shift Knob, Custom Perforated/Striped leather shift boot and E-Brake Handle boot, SR Performance Shifter, Barton Shifter Bracket

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome