Ford Mustang Forum - View Single Post - AdvancTrac almost caused a major wreck
View Single Post
post #62 of (permalink) Old 08-01-2012
11Red3.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by alinla View Post
So does anyone have a tally of the number of forum members (and/or other Mustang owners) that have experienced this phenomenom?

This is the second time I've heard of this but I'm not the most frequent forum member.
So far I'm the first one with this exact scary malfunction. Others have had some issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM Convert View Post

Electronic Stability Control monitors wheel spin sensors on the front tires. When oversteer or undesteer is detected the system will apply one or more brakes on the opposite side of the car to help keep the car from sliding out of control.

Hope that clears things up a bit.
Convert, here is my new hypothesis after playing this in my head over and over. I had just pulled over and got gas at a little Indian reservation gas station less than 3 miles prior to the first incedent of ESC freaking out. I switched lanes and accelerated to get around the rock truck, even though I never fill past the first click, could it have been so full that gas sloshed out, messing up the Left Rear sensor, the second time maybe just the residual gas with added 50mph wind in the wheel well? Both times the Right Front was the first brake I noticed slamming hard, the opposite corner.

Neither me or the dealer can duplicate the problem, and maybe putting this reason in my head just keeps me from being scared like a little kid everytime I accelerate on to the freeway. So maybe it's just a defense mechanism, but it's working. So, Possible or Defense Mechanism?

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome