Ford Mustang Forum - View Single Post - '86 speaker mounting
View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-17-2012 Thread Starter
Phenius
PONY Member
5.0L Member

'86 speaker mounting

So I recently installed some left over speakers I had in the ol' stang...and to do so, had to cut all the molested wiring from previous owner and start from scratch. I got 5x7s for the rear, and still struggling with proper mounting for my deck, my my biggest doozie is keeping a stock look inside.

The front speakers were B.O., and I had some 3 and a halfers, so what I did was drilled and mounted them on the doors, and drilled holes in the wooden backing of the door pannel (remember than the stock door speakers were 87 and up). It worked well for a bit, mounted with 4 sheet metal screws and some machining to the door, but the driver's side speaker fell out, so I want a better permanent position for them.

So I got a plastic casing we use that come with a deck and speakers for the scoops at work, and am going cut it and install the speakers with 2 way stickies under the seat for now.

After this long winded explanation, my question is : if anyone has played with this, what is the best place to put larger aftermarket speakers, without them sticking out like a sore thumb, on an '86. I will eventually buy some of the tiny front replacements, but would like to run at least another pair of mids somewhere in there.

Thanks in advance!

1986 Mustang GT T-Top, SCAT 331 stroker w/Probe SRS pistons, TFS 170 heads, TFS track heat intake, 30 lbs. injectors and matching Pro-Flow MAF, BBK 75mm TB, T-5 to AOD conversion, MAF conversion, full length subframes, Bassani ceramic coated 1 5/8 shorty headers, BBK high flow cat x-pipe, Bassani quiet thunder 2 1/2" catback, 3.73 gearing.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome