Ford Mustang Forum - View Single Post - Drag strip prep work
View Single Post
post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-01-2012
Jozsefsz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stroker88 View Post
Whoa, 800+ for single digits?
Didn't mean to raise the blood pressure. There are obviously a number of variables, and by 800 I mean flywheel hp which is around 700 rwhp. Also I guessed at the weight (you said a full-weight-hatch), lowering that can make a huge difference (a 2500lb car can get into the 10's with 400rwhp).

1/4 Mile ET Calculator (this calculator gives a guess without considering many of those variables, it just determines how much horsepower it takes to get a hunk of weight moving and assumes some parasitic losses)

Here's another one, gives similar numbers: http://www.wallaceracing.com/et-hp-mph.php (use RWHP here).

But yes, guessing at the weight of your car (3300) the horsepower required to lower your ET by an entire second seems to be around 100hp. A 200hp car could do around 15, 300hp in the 13's, 400hp in the 12's, 500hp in the 11's, 600hp in the mid-10's, 800 in the high-9's.

These look like pretty reasonable numbers to me. They also point out the benefits of weight-loss over power-gains.

There are diminishing returns to power (drag, other parasitic losses) once you get to a certain point. To hit the 8's you'd need something like 1200hp. Don't even ask what it takes to run in the 7's.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome